Now that's sounds like a pretty good McIntosh deal [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Now that's sounds like a pretty good McIntosh deal

nightflier
07-23-2007, 09:56 AM
From Enjoy The Music (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/)

"Trade up to a big mac as McIntosh Laboratory, longtime high-end audio company with over 56 years of experience, has announced a limited time trade-up incentive program valid until August 31. During the limited-time program consumers may trade in their McIntosh multi-channel, stereo or monoblock amplifiers regardless of age and receive up to 75 percent of its original MSRP toward a new current model McIntosh power amplifier. All trade-ins must be functional and maintain their original design. "McIntosh owners tend to be extremely passionate about the audio performance of their home entertainment products" said McIntosh President Charlie Randall, "They're also, not surprisingly, renowned for their loyalty to the McIntosh brand. Our Trade-UP program is a way for us to reward these valued owners for their loyalty and support, and provide an easy way for them to upgrade their current components to the very latest in McIntosh style, quality and performance."

Now I just have to find the one Mac amp that has depreciated the most and see what I can buy it for.

Feanor
07-23-2007, 10:07 AM
From Enjoy The Music (http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/)

"Trade up to a big mac as McIntosh Laboratory, longtime high-end audio company with over 56 years of experience, has announced a limited time trade-up incentive program valid until August 31. During the limited-time program consumers may trade in their McIntosh multi-channel, stereo or monoblock amplifiers regardless of age and receive up to 75 percent of its original MSRP toward a new current model McIntosh power amplifier. All trade-ins must be functional and maintain their original design. "McIntosh owners tend to be extremely passionate about the audio performance of their home entertainment products" said McIntosh President Charlie Randall, "They're also, not surprisingly, renowned for their loyalty to the McIntosh brand. Our Trade-UP program is a way for us to reward these valued owners for their loyalty and support, and provide an easy way for them to upgrade their current components to the very latest in McIntosh style, quality and performance."

Now I just have to find the one Mac amp that has depreciated the most and see what I can buy it for.

80% of all McIntosh ever made are still in service -- don't know how reliable that quote is, though.

One thing is for sure: it's easy to sell a Mac of almost any age if it's repairable. I wonder of McIntosh Labs will recondition the trade-ins and sell them? More likely they will job them out to a third party to be resold.

basite
07-23-2007, 11:31 AM
yes, the trade in program,

only in the usa sadly :(

trade your mc stuff in for 75% of the original salesprice (maximum, and only if the unit is in mint condition)
there was lots of talk about this over at AK
and I think that that quote is pretty reliable feanor :)

nightflier
07-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Well I ran some numbers, and despite McIntosh reliability and all, there's no way to come out ahead, price-wise. My accountant would never approve.

Ah, someday I will own that Mac amp, and that Porshe, and that mansion on the hill, ah yes, someday....

GMichael
07-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Don't some of their older models go for more now on Ebay, than they went for new?

nightflier
07-23-2007, 01:36 PM
Yup, lots of 'em, including the MC-275 from 1965, which originally sold for $444 and now sells for well over $2500 (that is, if you can find it). Some other noteworthy numbers: the MC-60, $220 in 1955, now $1500+, and the MC-240, $199 in 1960, $1200+ today.

Of course, there's also some duds like the MC-502, $1100 in 1978 and $350 today, or probably the worst case, the miserable MA-5 from 1955, $120 new, now just $20. So if you really want to own a Mac amp, you can do it with peanuts, although I couldn't tell you what kind of amp that is/was.

basite
07-24-2007, 03:02 AM
some things are affordable (the vintage stuff at least), a c-26, or a c-28 preamp will go for around $450 on the bay or so...

then, of course you still need a Mc amp for a Mcsystem :)

bobsticks
07-27-2007, 02:43 PM
Mine is staying right where it's at...