I did it! Pulled the trigger on the minis. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I did it! Pulled the trigger on the minis.

GMichael
07-23-2007, 09:07 AM
AV123 made me an offer I couldn't pass up so I ordered the Strata Mini - Ultra Limited Piano Rosewood Finish. They should show up Friday. I am so psyched!

ARE THEY HERE YET? I can't breath!

JohnMichael
07-23-2007, 09:31 AM
AV123 made me an offer I couldn't pass up so I ordered the Strata Mini - Ultra Limited Piano Rosewood Finish. They should show up Friday. I am so psyched!

Congratulations!!!! I know you will love them. You have been waiting for this day for a long while. A beautiful wife and beautiful speakers what more could a man want? Well this man wants.....................never mind. Wishing you many happy years with the Strata Minis.

GMichael
07-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Congratulations!!!! I know you will love them. You have been waiting for this day for a long while. A beautiful wife and beautiful speakers what more could a man want? Well this man wants.....................never mind. Wishing you many happy years with the Strata Minis.

Thanks John. I'm sure I'll love them. If not, they have a 30 return pollicy. You're welcome to come here them anytime. You never know. You might find who, I mean what, you're looking for here.

Rich-n-Texas
07-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Congrats GM! Send me a sound file so's I can hear 'em. :yesnod:

basite
07-23-2007, 10:15 AM
congrats Mike, I am pretty sure they will give you countless hours of musical joy :yes:

now the hardest part: waiting :)

and post pics when you got them :)

GMichael
07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Congrats GM! Send me a sound file so's I can hear 'em. :yesnod:

Oh sure. That'll work.

GMichael
07-23-2007, 10:18 AM
congrats Mike, I am pretty sure they will give you countless hours of musical joy :yes:

now the hardest part: waiting :)

and post pics when you got them :)

Sure will do. Tanx.

kexodusc
07-23-2007, 10:21 AM
Congrats on the new haut-parleurs GM...now ya need a big new juicy amp to help'em sing.... :D
and so the cycle begins...again...

GMichael
07-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Congrats on the new haut-parleurs GM...now ya need a big new juicy amp to help'em sing.... :D
and so the cycle begins...again...

Thanks.

Already in the planning stages. I like the Halo A23 but have been looking at the Emotiva RPA-1 lately. Seems to be more bang for the buck.

Jimmy C
07-23-2007, 02:25 PM
They look quite substantial to me! I only have the 'lil x-ls, but I have faith in this company for some reason. Aww... on the website, my blond x-ls is next to your Strata "Maxi"...lol.

But seriously, if sound within this company is proportionate with price, your speakers should be REALLY good.

Ya'll post impressions now, ya hear?

bobsticks
07-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Congrats GM. Rosewood, eh? Very nice. I'm looking forward to your impressions on these. I'm betting with all the good press AV123 has gotten that we may have a new player in the "Giant Killer" department.

If I remember correctly you're not gonna have any problem with space so finding the correct positioning will just be a matter of time. I bet they sing for you.

Peace

L.J.
07-23-2007, 04:10 PM
GM, those look freakin' sweet! Congrats.

Feanor
07-23-2007, 04:58 PM
:shocked:

Those are pretty remarkable devices:

Planar high and mid
Four way, with four and two-way crossovers
Self-powered, 350 watt bass
and looks good!:cornut: Pretty remarkable for the price. I'd love to hear them.

Send a review and pics ASAP.

GMichael
07-24-2007, 05:22 AM
They look quite substantial to me! I only have the 'lil x-ls, but I have faith in this company for some reason. Aww... on the website, my blond x-ls is next to your Strata "Maxi"...lol.

But seriously, if sound within this company is proportionate with price, your speakers should be REALLY good.

Ya'll post impressions now, ya hear?

Thanks, I'm glad to hear(read) that you like your x-ls's so much. Can't wait to hear how these sound. Nothing in this industry is proportionate with price, but hopefully they will be what I'm looking for.

I'll be posting pics and impressions ASAP.

GMichael
07-24-2007, 05:25 AM
:shocked:

Those are pretty remarkable devices:

Planar high and mid
Four way, with four and two-way crossovers
Self-powered, 350 watt bass
and looks good!:cornut: Pretty remarkable for the price. I'd love to hear them.

Send a review and pics ASAP.

Thanks, will do. I know I love the sound from the Maggies I heard. Hoping for the best.

bobsticks, Me2. Let them sing to me.

LJ, Tanx.

Now, back to Kex's party!

GMichael
07-24-2007, 09:07 AM
Wooohoooooooooo Yellow Freight just sent me tracking. T minus 3 days and counting.
I may not sleep until they get here.

basite
07-24-2007, 10:00 AM
sleep? what is that? whatever it is, you won't need it at Kex's party :)

btw, to tease you a little (and give you a next spree of upgradeitis), since you'll have the minis real soon, you're going to need a matching center and matching surrounds :ihih:

GMichael
07-24-2007, 10:12 AM
sleep? what is that? whatever it is, you won't need it at Kex's party :)

btw, to tease you a little (and give you a next spree of upgradeitis), since you'll have the minis real soon, you're going to need a matching center and matching surrounds :ihih:

They don't make them yet.
But they are working on them. They will have the same drivers except the powered woofer.
They are in my sights. In the mean time, I have others on my short list.

First up: A db meter.
Second: A BFD
Third: An external amp
Fourth: The rest of those Mini's should be available.
Fifth: More external amps
Sixth: A sound proccessor
Seventh: The poor-house!
Please send money....

SlumpBuster
07-24-2007, 10:32 AM
With all the congradulating going on, let me be the first to Playa Hate and tell you that you stink for having better speakers than me now. :incazzato:

j/k :D Those look really nice. How did you get your wife to agree to such a big step up? Or was it easy.

GMichael
07-24-2007, 10:52 AM
With all the congradulating going on, let me be the first to Playa Hate and tell you that you stink for having better speakers than me now. :incazzato:

j/k :D Those look really nice. How did you get your wife to agree to such a big step up? Or was it easy.

Well, once upon a time, back in December of 06. I showed these to the wife as an alternative to the Maggie 1.6's that I've wanted for a couple of years. She loved them. At the time AR123 was running a sale. The Mini's, plus an integrated tube amp and bookshelf speakers all for $2k. She said that I should buy them and put the tube amp and bookshelf's in the computer room for her. (wow!) I was about to order them when she decided that we needed a washer & drier instead. See my thread "forget the mini's". I've been bugging her ever sense. Add a nice bonus from work last spring and it was getting close. About a week ago, she asked me what I wanted for my birthday. Duh! The special finish has been on sale all this month. Friday I emailed AR123 to see what the freight would be. They offered free freight. D'm them!

Oh, and thanks for being jealous. That means a lot to me.

E-Stat
07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
Wooohoooooooooo Yellow Freight just sent me tracking. T minus 3 days and counting.
I may not sleep until they get here.
Clear your calendar completely for the weekend to do some serious listening! Start putting together a list of old favorite pieces of mucsic to hear all over again.

rw

GMichael
07-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Clear your calendar completely for the weekend to do some serious listening! Start putting together a list of old favorite pieces of mucsic to hear all over again.

rw

All my favorites are on the CD-R already. 120 CD's on one hard drive.

Now, If I could just get some sleep before they get here.

GMichael
07-25-2007, 05:13 AM
T minus 2 days and counting.
Did get some sleep last night though.

basite
07-25-2007, 06:18 AM
now that's a good thing, you need to be awake when you first hear yer new toys :)

GMichael
07-25-2007, 06:36 AM
I may be half dead after I drag them up to the second floor.

They sent me the tracking number. Should show up Friday between 2 - 5 PM.

Oh man. I feel like a kid again.

L.J.
07-25-2007, 07:49 AM
I agree with Slump you lucky SOB :arf:

GMichael
07-25-2007, 08:21 AM
I agree with Slump you lucky SOB :arf:

But isn't that the same thing you said when I bought my MKIII 15"? You know, just before you bought yours? Do I see mini's in your future?:lol: :thumbsup: :smilewinkgrin:

dean_martin
07-25-2007, 11:48 AM
Congrats! After that party you put together, you deserve'em. Can't wait to see the pics.

drseid
07-25-2007, 12:11 PM
Congrats GM. Speaking as someone who has seen what the Rosewood finish looks like on those AV123 speakers, I can safely say you are going to be shocked at just how good they look when they arrive (no pictures on the website can do them justice, IMO). Oh yeah, if their speakers sound as good as their subs then I think you will be happy in that area too.

Happy listening,

---Dave

GMichael
07-25-2007, 12:44 PM
Congrats! After that party you put together, you deserve'em. Can't wait to see the pics.

Thanks. Pictures will be posted, and posted, and posted.

Congrats GM. Speaking as someone who has seen what the Rosewood finish looks like on those AV123 speakers, I can safely say you are going to be shocked at just how good they look when they arrive (no pictures on the website can do them justice, IMO). Oh yeah, if their speakers sound as good as their subs then I think you will be happy in that area too.
Happy listening,
---Dave

Can't wait to see them. Just over 46 hours to go.
Can't wait to hear them. Just over 46 hours and 2 minutes to go.

L.J.
07-25-2007, 01:39 PM

But isn't that the same thing you said when I bought my MKIII 15"? You know, just before you bought yours? Do I see mini's in your future?:lol: :thumbsup: :smilewinkgrin:

Nope, not this time. My wife would kill me and after that she'd hunt you down too :eek:

GMichael
07-25-2007, 01:49 PM
Nope, not this time. My wife would kill me and after that she'd hunt you down too :eek:

Oh come on. They only weigh 94 pounds, each. 315/pr when shipped.

basite
07-26-2007, 03:10 AM
just one more day Mike :ihih:

tomorrow you'll be waiting for the poor delivery boy all day long :)

GMichael
07-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Tomorrow......................................:15:
Tomorrow.......................................:15 :
They're only a day away..................:15:

tomorrow.................:15:
tomorrow.................:15:

They should show up between 2PM and 5PM. I'm taking a half day to go greet them at the door and carry them over the threshold.

L.J.
07-26-2007, 06:00 AM
Oh come on. They only weigh 94 pounds, each. 315/pr when shipped.

:prrr:

GMichael
07-26-2007, 06:10 AM
:prrr:

On special till the end of the month.
And no freight or tax.

While supplies last.

L.J.
07-26-2007, 06:27 AM
On special till the end of the month.
And no freight or tax.

While supplies last.

Oh no you don't! Your not draggin' me in with that comment again.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=165828&postcount=9

GMichael
07-26-2007, 06:35 AM
Oh no you don't! Your not draggin' me in with that comment again.

http://forums.audioreview.com/showpost.php?p=165828&postcount=9

WHOA!? What are you impying?

Are you saying:

A: You don't like that sub?
2: You wouldn't like a set of Mini's?
C: You don't trust me?

L.J.
07-26-2007, 06:45 AM
WHOA!? What are you impying?

Are you saying:

A: You don't like that sub?
2: You wouldn't like a set of Mini's?
C: You don't trust me?

No it was your "while supplies last" comment that made me pull the trigger on the Titanic early.

GMichael
07-26-2007, 06:56 AM
No it was your "while supplies last" comment that made me pull the trigger on the Titanic early.

I know. That's why I used it again.
Don't you like your Monster?
Wouldn't you like more toys?

Bernd
07-26-2007, 07:17 AM
.... must try and catch up.

WOW Mike. Congrats on the purchase. You deserve it. They look great.
Wishing you many great and fantastic musical times with them.

Enjoy.

Peace

:16:

L.J.
07-26-2007, 07:20 AM
I know. That's why I used it again.
Don't you like your Monster?
Wouldn't you like more toys?

More toys........let's see. In the last 6 months:

60" Sony $$$$
15" Titanic $$$
PS3 $$$
AVR $$$
C-7 Towers $$$
Entertainment stand $$$$
Acoustic panels $$$
Dont forget the new camera $$$
A boat load of music/movies/video games $$$
I'm sure I forgot something so $$$ just in case

Like I said my wife would kill me.

GMichael
07-26-2007, 07:26 AM
More toys........let's see. In the last 6 months:

60" Sony $$$$
15" Titanic $$$
PS3 $$$
AVR $$$
C-7 Towers $$$
Entertainment stand $$$$
Acoustic panels $$$
Dont forget the new camera $$$
A boat load of music/movies/video games $$$
I'm sure I forgot something so $$$ just in case

Like I said my wife would kill me.

HAHAHA I told my wife that the camera was for her.
She still gives me the "look" though.
When I order something new she tells me, "I love you... anyhow."

Rich-n-Texas
07-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Huh??? What're ya selling?

GMichael
07-26-2007, 07:28 AM
.... must try and catch up.

WOW Mike. Congrats on the purchase. You deserve it. They look great.
Wishing you many great and fantastic musical times with them.

Enjoy.

Peace

:16:

Thanks Bernd.

I'll spin one for you Friday night.

L.J.
07-26-2007, 07:34 AM
HAHAHA I told my wife that the camera was for her.
She still gives me the "look" though.
When I order something new she tells me, "I love you... anyhow."

Tell ya what, take some really nice shots of your speakers and I'll have wifee take a look. That rosewood should break her down. Perhaps they'll make the 2009 :yikes: list of LJ's future upgrades.

GMichael
07-26-2007, 07:52 AM
Huh??? What're ya selling?

Let me "splain Lucy.

Back in 06, I ordered the MKIII 15" sub and started a thread about it. LJ implied that he was jealous. I told him that they were on sale, no freight or tax. He said that he wanted one too and that the new sales was going to go on till the end of the year. I added, "yeah, while supplies last." He broke down and ordered one that day.

Fast forward to today. I am buying the Mini Stratas. LJ implied that he was jealous. He even used almost the exact phrase to say it. I told him that the sale (with no freight or tax) ends this month, "while supplies last."

Caught up?

GMichael
07-26-2007, 07:53 AM
Tell ya what, take some really nice shots of your speakers and I'll have wifee take a look. That rosewood should break her down. Perhaps they'll make the 2009 :yikes: list of LJ's future upgrades.

2009? Very sad.

Pics will be posted. You can count on it.

GMichael
07-26-2007, 11:30 AM
LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO GO!!!!:yikes: :3: :crazy: :mad2: :incazzato:

basite
07-26-2007, 12:12 PM
feel the stress coming

FEEL IT!!!

Imagine how I feel since I still gotta wait for 20 more days :)

GMichael
07-26-2007, 12:29 PM
feel the stress coming

FEEL IT!!!

Imagine how I feel since I still gotta wait for 20 more days :)

The Mcy-tosh?

basite
07-26-2007, 12:31 PM
the mac, yes

L.J.
07-26-2007, 12:39 PM
LESS THAN 24 HOURS TO GO!!!!:yikes: :3: :crazy: :mad2: :incazzato:

No sleep for you tonight! Might as well just stay up.

GMichael
07-26-2007, 12:45 PM
No sleep for you tonight! Might as well just stay up.

That's the same thing my wife told me.

Rich-n-Texas
07-26-2007, 02:01 PM
That's the same thing my wife told me.
Oh Gawd! Here we go again. :mad2:

Let me "splain Lucy.

Caught up?
Oh Ricky!

So, how much ya selling the sub for? :cornut:

jrhymeammo
07-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Congrats, GM.

They look incredible and am sure they'll sound as good as they look. I gues we cabn expect to see some pics of speakers instead of thousands of your girlfriends.

Peace,

basite
07-27-2007, 01:51 AM
WAKE UP! Mike :cornut:

if you have slept, that is...

today is a big day for you.

have you made preparations already? grab your photo camera from off the moment the delivery boy stops at your house :)

Get em spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
07-27-2007, 04:59 AM
Oh Gawd! Here we go again. :mad2:

Oh Ricky!

So, how much ya selling the sub for? :cornut:

It's not for sale. But if you want to come here and pick it up, I'll just charge you $800.

GMichael
07-27-2007, 05:03 AM
WAKE UP! Mike :cornut:

if you have slept, that is...

today is a big day for you.

have you made preparations already? grab your photo camera from off the moment the delivery boy stops at your house :)

Get em spinning,
Bert.

I can't get this song out of my head:

When I think of Lorelei my head turns all around
As gentle as a butterfly she moves without a soundI
call her on the telephone, she says be there by eight
Tonight's the night she's moving in and I can hardly wait
The way she moves, ooh-oohI gotta say
Chorus:Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever
Lorelei let's live together
Brighter than the stars forever
Her eyes become a Paradise, she softly speaks my name
She brightens every lonely night, no one's quite the same
She calls me on the telephone,
she says be there by eight
Tonight's the night she's moving in, it's time to celebrate
The way she moves, ooh-oohI gotta say(Chorus)

GMichael
07-27-2007, 07:21 AM
They're in town! The trucking company's hub is just down the road from where I work. I'd love to run down and pick them up now, but I doubt they'd fit in my car. So, I'll leave here in about an hour & 1/2 to meet them in PA. Funny that they are only a few hundred feet away but I'll have to drive 40 miles to get them.

Rich-n-Texas
07-27-2007, 07:37 AM
I'd give almost anything to have my speakers re-finished in Rosewood. Maybe I'll just try to find a way to surround them with Rose bushes.

Lord knows you don't need to be reminded GM, but we're all looking forward to seeing pics of them.

GMichael
07-27-2007, 07:39 AM
I'd give almost anything to have my speakers re-finished in Rosewood. Maybe I'll just try to find a way to surround them with Rose bushes.

Lord knows you don't need to be reminded GM, but we're all looking forward to seeing pics of them.

Have you thought of going to Lowes or Home Depot to see what laminates they have available. Bet you could do it yourself.

Yeah, pics will come. Right after I'm done listening.

Edit: Oh, and by the way. You already have some d'm nice speakers of your own there pal.

Rich-n-Texas
07-27-2007, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the suggestions and compliment GM. With all the insults I've had to endure recently from pencild!ck, it's good to hear things like that from someone who knows what home theater's really all about.

The cabinets are covered with a Black Ash laminate already; I'm not real handy (nor do I have the proper tools) with woodworking, but I think over time I'll be able to get the room treatments/decorations in place so they won't stand out as much.

basite
07-27-2007, 11:13 AM
well have fun, also, don't forget to post what you have listened to :)

SlumpBuster
07-27-2007, 12:48 PM
The trucking company's hub is just down the road from where I work. I'd love to run down and pick them up now, but I doubt they'd fit in my car.

My wife made me do that for a fancy schmancy sleigh bed once.

But, for the record. I take it back, I'm not kidding, when I say "You Stink!" I hate it when one of you jimmies gets some cool new toy and I don't. I'm stuck in limbo for at least another six months, more probably a year, before any big upgrades. My jealousy is real and virulant. Acquisitions like yours, or Jrhyammo's Maggies, make me think that I'm just kidding myself when I say in my head "I'm happy with what I have. I don't need an upgrade. I don't need a:
1. Phono preamp and speedbox,
2. HDTV,
3. Blu-ray,
4. New speakers,
5. New amps,
6. New cart.,
7. New Record Cleaning Machine, or
8. Whole new dedicated two channel set up"

Unfortunately, I'm looking forward to your pictures, in my now otherwise empty life. Thanks for nothing. :incazzato:

P.S.: In all seriousness, your enthusiasm is contagious. I love it when other people appreciate the scale of their upgrade rather than, for instance, talking about $5,000 Krells and Mark Levinsons like their passe (sp? I can't find the little french accent). Thanks for sharing.

topspeed
07-27-2007, 01:29 PM
Are they here yet?!?

Congrats, Mike! I know you've had your eyes on the the Mini's for awhile now and I'm glad you're finally getting to realize your dream. Great feeling, isn't it? Can't wait to see pics and hear about your impressions once they are burned-in.

The A23 is neat little amp. I've always liked the Halo line, particularly their controllers. When you're ready to bite the bullet, you should check out the *shameless plug* PS Audio Trio. It will have more power than you'll need and should work famously with the planar top end of the Mini's.

Enjoy your new toys!

dean_martin
07-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Are they here yet?!?

ARE THEY HERE YET??

Rich-n-Texas
07-27-2007, 05:43 PM
"WEEEEEEEELLL? WEEEEERRE WAAAITING." :rolleyes:

Luvin Da Blues
07-27-2007, 06:02 PM
If you just had those sweet speakers arrive, what would you be doing...sitting on this forum or.....setting them up and checking them out?

Rich-n-Texas
07-27-2007, 06:09 PM
Are you talking about before I opened the box or after? :biggrin5:

Luvin Da Blues
07-27-2007, 06:13 PM
I'd have the boxes half open B4 I even got them close to the door.

Again, Congrats GM..hope your enjoying them...see ya here Monday or Tuesday...maybe.

GMichael
07-27-2007, 07:54 PM
Hi guys. Thanks for the kind words as well as your interest. I just finished my first listening session. Details to follow in the morning.
Good night everyone.

basite
07-28-2007, 01:52 AM
the maiden voyage :p

we're waiting, preferably big pics :)

GMichael
07-30-2007, 09:39 AM
To be continude here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=23620