Summer comp, anyone? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Summer comp, anyone?

bobsticks
07-22-2007, 06:31 PM
A couple of months ago our long lost Demetrio put together a little thread on "World" music that has had me doing some exploring. Many silver discs later this playlist is at least partially representative of my findings. Be warned: This is not "math music", not prog, not industrial, nor many times even rock. It is what it is...
...and that is a collection of largely organic and acoustic instrumentals, some horns, and some occasional pop and blues from some pretty diverse locations. Throw in a mojito or two, maybe a Bell's Pale Ale, a sunny afternoon on the deck and let it 'er rip.

The PM lines are open.

Rae
07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I'll publicly declare that I want one! If you don't mind me being in further debt to you, that is.

~Rae

JohnMichael
07-23-2007, 11:38 AM
Sounds great to me. I have already benefited from your musical knowledge and taste and would love to do it again.

audiobill
07-23-2007, 02:37 PM
Just got back from holidays and I'd love to listen to some cool music.

I'll PM you.

Thanks-a-ton,

Bill

bobsticks
07-23-2007, 05:55 PM
C'mon characters, don't be shy. 43 views and only 3 people jumping on it. This isn't one of those BMG deals--you don't have to buy anything later...

I mean, really, to make space I went to the effort of deleting all those plaintive e-mails from Jryhmeammo asking which flavor of Boone's Farm to drink with Ramen Noodles. The more the merrier I say.

Finch Platte
07-24-2007, 02:38 AM
C'mon characters, don't be shy. 43 views and only 3 people jumping on it.

Make that 4. :16: :ihih: :ihih: :ihih:

fp

ForeverAutumn
07-24-2007, 05:50 AM
My ears could use some new sounds. I'm in so long as you don't mind shipping over the border (I'm assuming you're one of those them Americans, but I could be wrong). I'll PM you with my addy. Thank you!

unleasHell
07-24-2007, 06:19 AM
Pm sent...

bobsticks
08-08-2007, 06:06 PM
Okay, by now everyone should have received their care packages save perhaps our overseas bretheren. A lot more people hopped on board as the project progressed and it's important to note that while everyone got "World Beat Summer Comp '07" not evryone got the same accountrements. I kind of peeped out some folks history and tried to match some goodies with the intended audience. I have received several PMs asking for info so here goes...

The comp itself is a result of a couple months of album grabs. I never did any research and soley bought things on first impression save for one artist. Ali Farke Toure has been a name that has been bandied about a bit on this site and much on others. I was pleasantly surprised by his stuff most notably because while it sticks in familiar chording and pentatonics there is some refreshing original picking selection going on. At once distinctive and very much against alot of American Blues style. This guy is called "The King of the desert blues singers" for a reason.
Another great album discovery was Son Cubano NYC which lent a few cuts. It's a collection of immigrant music recorded in the seventies. Evidently, much of it was regarded as "antiquated" and in some less progressive circles deemed communist. None of the artists ever got any airplay which is too bad as it's agreat album through and through.
I sampled several of the Putummayo discs and ffound all of them to be well planned (flowed well) and well executed in standards of sound quality.The Kirstehen Tanczenekar bit is Estonian, and while it maybe didn't flow perfectly with the Latin and African overtones, was included to add some zip and prevent the comp from sounding completely like a Windham Hill Sampler.

Another album that got some questions was World Psychedelic Classics #3:Love's A Real Thing 2794
What a great disc from David Byrne's LuakaBop label. I wasn't even born in th esixties and yet this one had me wanting to ingest some herbage and stare at a lava lamp...hehe

Flash Hawk Parlor Ensemble is, I believe, a side project for the guitarist from The Decembrists. I found it to be a bit trebley on a revealing system but the instrumentation is great and the inclusion of Teardrop was worth the price of admission for me.

As a sidenote, the night after I sent these guys out I ran across a thread talking about Maxell discs being subpar. I found, indeed, that one of my own burns for the car was substandard. If anyone has any issues let me know and I'll fix 'er up no problemo.

Peace

jrhymeammo
08-08-2007, 06:21 PM
I mean, really, to make space I went to the effort of deleting all those plaintive e-mails from Jryhmeammo asking which flavor of Boone's Farm to drink with Ramen Noodles. The more the merrier I say.

Seriously, let me know when you find a bottle for under $2. Also, which gas station do you go to for your boxed wine?

Got some serious tunes on there, B. Filled with some smooth and groovy tracks. I've been listening to that comp during my lunch time at work. Great stuff man, looks like I got some looking to do.

Peace out,

JRA

jrhymeammo
08-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Okay I gotta ask:

Track 1, 2, 6,7, 10, 11, 12.

Spill the goods.:)

Mr Peabody
08-13-2007, 06:56 PM
Am I too late? I'd love to pick up some direction to go. I bought my first "World Music" CD a month or so, a title from Gigi. I liked it but some of the "others who bought" suggestions didn't seem to be as good, or were imports that costed crazy money for a disc.

PeruvianSkies
08-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Okay I gotta ask:

Track 1, 2, 6,7, 10, 11, 12.

Spill the goods.:)

Yeah, spill the goods...I am really lovin' track 3.

Bernd
08-14-2007, 02:36 AM
.......World Beat Summer 07 Comp. Thank you bobs.
This brought some sunshine into an otherwise rained off and not happened summer.
Hope everyone is well.

Peace

:16:

noddin0ff
08-14-2007, 06:17 AM
Great comp! At least the first 3 tracks, so far... ;-)

Listening to track 01, I could feel little ocean waves lappin' at my feet (no, not a guess, just a reaction). Perfect for a summer day.

Is it ok, to spill beans as we go? Partial hint for PS - 'Queen Bee'.

bobsticks
08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
OK characters, here's the track list:

1. "Simbo" by Ali Farke Toure & Toumani Diabate
2. "Melodia Del Rio" by Ruben Gonzalez
3. "Queen Bee" by Ramata Diakite and Taj Mahal
4. "Just One Kiss" by Beau Jocque and the Zydeco Hi-Rollers
5. "A-Carne" by Farofa Carioca
6. "Cade Voce?" by Bebel Gilberto
7. "Viragok a Reten" by Kistehen Tanczenekar
8. " Esperanca Irisada" by Cesaria Evora
9. "Perfume de Gardenias" by Ibrahim Ferrar
10. "Tres Lindas Cubanas" by Ruben Gonzalez
11. "Bwamba" by Ete
12. "Cochamba" by Sarazino
13. "Pende Yoro" by Ali Farke Toure
14. " Hawa Dolo" by Ali Farke Toure & Toumani Diabate

Both Ruben Gonzalez and Ibrahim Ferrar are part of Ry Cooder's international gig and his input as far as sound quality and recording is evident.

Bebel Gilberto is quite an international star. Much of her work also finds its way mixed into that nu jazz/lounge scene that's been coming out of Brazil.

I'm glad to hear y'all enjoyed it. There really is fantastic stuff coming from all around the globe these days--this one was a pleasure to do.

Peace Out

Finch Platte
08-15-2007, 07:24 AM
Mine won't play in my CD player. They'll play in my computer, tho.

Wassup widdat? :nonod:

bobsticks
08-15-2007, 09:14 AM
Hey Finchy,

A couple of people have reported similar problems. Not being the computer pro I'm confused as to whether this might be a file problem, disc problem, or player compatability problem. The properties listed are " Windows Media 9.2 Lossless VBR Quality 100, 44 kHz, 2-channel 16 bit one pass".

Any ideas from the peanut gallery? I don't have any problems with it in my universal player but I haven't tried it in any older or dedicated cdps...

basite
08-15-2007, 09:21 AM
am I too late? that looks like a very good comp...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

bobsticks
08-15-2007, 10:25 AM
am I too late?.

It's not to late for anyone 'round the old RR clubhouse. Just PM me wuth the necessary info.

jrhymeammo
08-15-2007, 05:05 PM
played fine in my car, computer, Yammie and Marantz. But I did notice some distortion between tracks towards the end.

Great comp and thanx again.

JRA

PeruvianSkies
08-15-2007, 11:07 PM
Indeed a great comp AND was one of the first things I threw into my new 2-channel system....ooooh ahhhh.