Surround Sound Problem [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Surround Sound Problem

jphuffs
07-22-2007, 06:01 PM
I am setting up a new system. I have a JVC RX-8040B receiver with 4 speakers. I can set it up with the 4 speakers activated, but I can only get a signal to the 2 front speakers. I can't figure out how to get a signal to the 2 surround speakers. Any suggestions appreciated.

Mr Peabody
07-22-2007, 08:53 PM
Do you plan to get a center channel speaker? Surround, 5.1, is front L/R, a center, rear L/R and, .1, a sub.

There could be several reasons why you aren't getting a signal. Did you hook them up to the proper terminals on the back of the receiver? If so, do all speakers work with the test tone for speaker set up in the receivers menu? If the speakers are hooked up properly you should at least get sound from the test tone. Are you connected from DVD to receiver via a digital connection? If not, you can't get 5.1 surround and the rears, which aren't normally on all the time anyway, will even be on less. Many receivers I've seen have a "party" surround mode, if this is on you should hear sound from all speakers. If you are listening to music or an older movie not recorded in surround, your receiver may default to "2 channel". This could also happen if you don't go into the movie's set up menu under "languages" or "audio set up" and enter on 5.1 or DTS. Some brands of DVD and receivers will offer an "auto" feature, the DVD will then output the best audio track offered, the receiver will detect the signal it's fed and automatically decode it. Also, look in your receivers menu to see what the front and rear speaker volumes are set to. Each channel should have it's own independent volume control. If you haven't, I highly suggest reading your owners manual. Surround receivers aren't something you can just plug & play, they normally require a lot of setting up. Hope you find the problem I know how frustrating they can be.

Feanor
07-23-2007, 04:38 AM
I am setting up a new system. I have a JVC RX-8040B receiver with 4 speakers. I can set it up with the 4 speakers activated, but I can only get a signal to the 2 front speakers. I can't figure out how to get a signal to the 2 surround speakers. Any suggestions appreciated.

To what Mr. P has discussed I can only add the old Help Desk advice --
"Read your ... manual".

jphuffs
07-23-2007, 05:33 AM
I haven't tried a dvd yet. I have only tried CDs. Is it possible that the CD doesn't provide the necessary signal? I thought the receiver generated the signals for the surround sound from the stereo recording.

Mr Peabody
07-23-2007, 06:38 AM
That is the problem. CD's are in stereo and will only give 2 channel music. If you want the rears to work during music you can see if your receiver has the "party" mode. Dolby Pro Logic 2 will also generate some surround but you can't use this because you don't have a center channel. DPL2 puts much of the vocals and other main instruments through the center. Well.... actually if you have your receiver set up properly so it knows you don't have a center it should put the center channel info through your mains, so you could be alright doing DPL2.

Except for maybe SACD/DVD-A surround wasn't really used for music. It's for movie viewing where dialog and center screen sound effects go through a center speaker and the mains/rear handle other sound effects. A car passing may go from left to center to right, or a plane may go from rear to front. Much of the music soundtrack goes through the L/R mains Pop a Star Wars DVD in and you will get the idea.

alexthegreat
08-13-2007, 05:52 PM
Mr peobody is right a cd is in two channel stereo I dont know the JVC RX-8040B receiver you have but if you have a mode for all channel stereo or a souround mode it should produce sound to the rears try reading the manual it all ways helps to refer back to the manual. my onkyo Thx tx-Ds797 will produce sound to the rears with a cd just thought I give a suggestion of what to kinda look for in the sourrond minu hope I didnt interfear just trying to help alexthegreat