Purchase decision help!!!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Purchase decision help!!!!

jetsetprep
07-19-2007, 07:00 AM
hello, I have been reading your posts and reviews. and I feel that I am procrastinating a purchase of this new system. Please tell me how you feel about this: Marantz CD5000, NAD C340 receiver with
Energy Audissey Speakers A5+2.

I have read up on these pieces individually but I don't know if it good as a home theater set up. It may not be ideal as a theater-set up for the projector. It sounds like it's more for listening and appreciating music only. Would this be okay to watch DVDs on and enjoy TV as well?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated. thanks guys!

please email me at JetSetPrepNy@gmail.com
Thank you

:17: :16: :18:

markw
07-19-2007, 07:34 AM
1) The NAD C340 is a 50 wpc stereo (two channel) integrated amp with no provisions for video anything.

2) The Marantz CD5000 is a stereo (two channel) CD (not DVD) player.

Both are good units within their price/class range.

The speakers, however, sell for a LOT more than these two combined and I think would benefit from more power than this yeoman amp can deliver. Efficient or not, it's better to have some power in reserve, particularly when playing dynamic material.

This would be, IMNSHO, a case of the tail wagging the dog. Have you listened to this combo?

Oh, you do know this is a stereo system, not a HT system, with no video capabilities at all, don't you?

But, ultimately, you can feed the two channel red/white analog audio outputs of whatever video source you use to this and it should sound decent, within it's power rarange.

StoneMountain
07-24-2007, 07:49 PM
If you want a receiver for home theater, consider the Onkyo SR605 and up (SR805...) which are one of the first to have HDMI upswitching (convert analog signals to HDMI digital output). This unit only upscales to ?720p, no to 1080p, but I have all my video hook-ups to the TV directly except for a PS3 which goes to one of the HDMI inputs. The SR 805 I think is THX certified and has better video and audio chipsets in it, but I have the PS3 to upconvert my DVD's. Also, the SR805 is twice the price. I was focused on a home theater system and not on listening to music, so I got a matching Onkyo 7.1 speakers, which are a great deal for what you get (they are a little big though) based on CNET reviews since I got them for about $250, but I know may readers of this forum will probably feel these speakers are too inferior for their ears.

Luvin Da Blues
07-24-2007, 08:04 PM
so I got a matching Onkyo 7.1 speakers, which are a great deal for what you get (they are a little big though) based on CNET reviews since I got them for about $250, but I know may readers of this forum will probably feel these speakers are too inferior for their ears.

If it sounds good to you and your enjoying them, then thats we want to hear.:cornut: