I have a question about a cable... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : I have a question about a cable...

swwdts
07-18-2007, 05:48 PM
I will be buying a HDTV & as far as video cables go,which is best S-cable or componet for TV?

x-large
08-06-2007, 01:06 AM
Depends how you are sourcing your TV signal.

You won't need any cables if you are using the on-board tuner.

If using a set-top-box then you want to use the best that it offers. In order of most to least preferable: HDMI, Component, S-Video, Composite.

markw
08-06-2007, 03:22 AM
You can't pass an HDTV signal over S-video.

Mr Peabody
08-06-2007, 06:04 PM
True, HD, it's only component or HDMI. I'd make sure you had at least 2 HDMI inputs. Most equipment like DVD, HD disc players, receivers will not allow upconverted signal via component, and it seems HDMI will be forced upon us. The only reason they limit upconverted signals to HDMI is to copy protect it. HDMI also carries both audio and video signals. Also, should be noted that HDMI is the only, digital, video connection.

When buying HDMI it's actually better not to buy a big thick cable. The weight has been known to cause a bad connection. I got a Tributaries brand for about $80.00 that is working good for me. There are some cheaper and definitely can spend more. It's also not good for the HDMI to bend or run it in a way to have a sharp curve.

x-large
08-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Yup, markw, true true. Sorry I'm still thinking in backward NZ terms, as we don't have much HDTV content here. Only select shows on select channels via satellite. We don't have a single dedicated HDTV channel yet. How sad is that.

So sorry for the mix-up, still thinking in SD...