Klipsch or Monitor? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Klipsch or Monitor?

SoundGuyDave
07-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the Klipsch reference series? Specifically the RB10 and the RC52? I heard them at the store and they were pretty nice. Another dealer in the area has Monitor Bronze stuff on sale and I wanted to know if I should go check it out, its a bit out of my way.

nightflier
07-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Go with the Monitor Audios, they are a less fatiguing speaker and will likely get played more as a result.

kexodusc
07-18-2007, 02:31 PM
I have generally preferred Monitor Audio's speakers to Klipsch's budget stuff. I have to agree with Nightflier.. I'm a guy who likes to hear the treble, I think "warm" = "boring", or "lifeless" but a lot Klipsch speakers are just too much for me.
If the Klipsch aren't singing to you and you don't know in your heart for sure that's them and no other, you might want to check out the Monitor Audio stuff.

Off topic - but I went to their website and check out the room: ACOUSTIC NIGHTMARE...
http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/
Damn I hate those kind of photos-- where's the mess o' wires? Where's the angry wife?
(you may have to hit refresh on the page to cycle through the various pictures).

RoyY51
07-18-2007, 04:45 PM
I currently own the MA B2's but I did audition Klipsch before buying. I have to echo the sentiments of the posters above: The Klipsch speakers are ear-bleeders (at least to these old ears). They became fatiguing in very short order, and were harder and more metallic sounding throughout the entire frequency spectrum. I did think they were "cooler" looking than the MA's but this seems to matter less as I ease into my dotage.

RuSsMaN
07-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Both great speakers, but a very different sound. Monitor Audio has a touch of that 'British Monitor' sound, ie Spendor / Rogers / Harbeth etc in the midrange - which I find appealing.

Certainly worthy of a demo, get you ears on them. Don't rule out Klipsch - you already said you liked the sound - and the subjective side of this hobby is what keeps it interesting. One man's bright is another man's detail. Trust your ears, and get a PROPER demo on each.

Cheers,
Russ

SoundGuyDave
07-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I certainly like the way they sounded at the store, but that is only a 20 minute demo. I mix all day on genelecs, which I find on the brighter side and after a 4-5 hour session, I am exhausted. So I think I'll check out the monitor stuff tomorrow, and its actually cheaper than the klipsch. I also really like the how the monitor surrounds flush mount on the wall. I do however, like the kilpsch sub and will probably still get that (controls on the front and remote control? cool!). Thanks for all the input guys.

DEVO
07-19-2007, 05:08 AM
See if the Dealer has the other levels...Silver and Gold? Just a thought for you to audition...

pixelthis
07-20-2007, 01:56 AM
I have rb25's (front) rb15's (rear), an rc25 center and a sub (cant remember the num)
They are pretty nice, image like crazy, but I am trading them for my old b&w's,
doesnt mean they are bad, but I have always preferred softer tweeters for music and that is more what I'm getting into now.
Just get your speakers to match, matching is nice:1:

SoundGuyDave
07-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the replies. I checked out the Bronze stuff and was impressed with the price. Obivously I have heard better stuff, but for the money, I was happy. I ended up with the B4s for the front, the Bronze center and the BFX surrounds. I am keeping the Klipsch sub though.

thanks