Folding Painting to cover Projection Screen [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Folding Painting to cover Projection Screen

westcott
07-18-2007, 05:29 AM
http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/30/466/2/30/97/2631230970080308535wYtnoW_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2631230970080308535wYtnoW)

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/63/463/6/43/21/2460643210080308535XyWatW_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2460643210080308535XyWatW)

http://thumb15.webshots.net/t/30/466/5/51/48/2178551480080308535TVLxJQ_th.jpg (http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/photo/2178551480080308535TVLxJQ)

The painting is made up of four separate frames. Each frame is made from 3/4" x 3" MDF bisquited together for stiffness, plumness, and lack of warping associated with wood. Then canvas was stretched over the four frames using a stretcher from your local art supply. You can buy prestretched frames, but at this size, none were available. The canvas needs to be primed. Three coats were required. I painted small sample patterns on poster board and cut them out to determine orientation and final order of placement. The colors were chosen by my wife and I to add a splash of color and still coordinate with the existing colors in the room. I used acrylics and if you look close, the black lines include texture media to give it a more 3 dimensional look. The screens were hinged together using piano hinges. Magnets were installed on the inside edges to secure the painting to the hinges when open. When the painting is closed, small hooks attached to the bottom of the frames hook around some brass pins I put in the projection screen frame (drilled a hole and slid them in). I had some laying around from another project and bought them at a hobby\RC shop. This holds the painting frames firmly against the screen when closed. The outer hinges are secured to some 2x4s that were cut down to a height just proud of the projection screen thickness. I used wood because MDF does not perform well with screws constantly being removed and tightened again. The only way to get to the four main heavy duty screws that attach the wood strip to the wall is to remove the 25 small brass screws attaching the frames to the wood. This took several attempts since the weight of the frames do produce some sag. Four holes were countersunk into each wood strip and 100# wall anchors were used to secure them.

I learned that their is art in itself to stretching canvas and it took me more than one attempt before I got the hang of it. Wrinkles become very obvious with 40 square feet of canvas on the wall. The MDF really held its shape to all the stress loading from stretching and made for crisp lines where the panels meet. It makes it look like one large painting instead of four separate panels.

I thought about using some left over Owens Corning rigid fiberglass panels from the floor isolation behind the painting but some research seems to point to the air space between the screen, the wall, and the canvas create a very effective energy absorber, all by itself. BONUS acoustic panel! I may try it with both when I have more time to test with an SPL meter.

Cost: $200

MDF = had some left over from another project. I guess about $20

Canvas roll = $35

Paint, Primer, texture media, masking tape, stretching pliers = $100

4 Hinges = $50

Time and satisfaction = Priceless!

Grandpaw
07-20-2007, 09:26 AM
I'm not in to the modern stuff but it looks like you have a good idea there and did a very nice job building it and putting it up. Very fine job and it looks GREAT! Jeff

westcott
07-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I'm not in to the modern stuff but it looks like you have a good idea there and did a very nice job building it and putting it up. Very fine job and it looks GREAT! Jeff

Grandpaw,

I would have to say that contemporary art is not my favorite either but what I do like is contemporary architecture and design. I chose this design because of its simplicity (read as even I could not mess it up), and how it would look when it was open, as well. A modern design seemed to be the most practical solution. Thanks for taking time to comment. It is appreciated.

westcott
08-25-2007, 05:50 AM
This is an example of why the threads seem to be spread too thin. (reference to Mutiny thread) I posted this upgrade to my home theater a while back and only one person commented with 136 views!!!!!!!

What happened to the rest of you? Hate it, like it? Not your style? Bad idea?

So here is your chance to redeem yourselves.

Rich-n-Texas
08-25-2007, 06:31 AM
This is an example of why the threads seem to be spread too thin. (reference to Mutiny thread) I posted this upgrade to my home theater a while back and only one person commented with 136 views!!!!!!!

What happened to the rest of you? Hate it, like it? Not your style? Bad idea?

So here is your chance to redeem yourselves.
That's because most of us have RP DLP's westcott. :D

Okay, I'll say this... I like the style, the use of colors and the innovativeness, but my home interior tastes run more towards the traditional, and... I have no WAF to deal with.

GMichael
08-25-2007, 07:06 AM
That is fantastic! Great job, and thanks for sharing how you made it with us. I love projects.

codecougar
08-25-2007, 06:17 PM
I love the concept and execution. I just don't care for the actual painting itself. It looks very grade schoolish. No offense. Just my opinion, of course.

It is not bad by any stretch. I just wonder how great it would look if you had an artist do an actual painting on it versus just some colored blocks.

westcott
08-25-2007, 07:29 PM
I love the concept and execution. I just don't care for the actual painting itself. It looks very grade schoolish. No offense. Just my opinion, of course.

It is not bad by any stretch. I just wonder how great it would look if you had an artist do an actual painting on it versus just some colored blocks.

The problem with a painting that is not geometric is making it look good when the screen is open AND closed. A conventional painting would not look right in both instances.

codecougar
08-25-2007, 09:30 PM
The problem with a painting that is not geometric is making it look good when the screen is open AND closed. A conventional painting would not look right in both instances.

I dated an artist for 7 years and she always had people hiring her to do murals, paintings, pretty much anything you could imagine. She painted the inside of a swimming pool, ceilings, walls, even rocks in someone's yard.

I guess what I was getting at is that you could hire someone and tell them exactly what you are looking for, whether it be geometric, contemporary, whatever. They sketch out designs and you basically direct them in terms of what you are looking for. If you get a talented artist, they could paint something silimar to what you have, but more artistic.

topspeed
08-28-2007, 03:10 PM
Looks great, Westcott :thumbsup: Vibrant color choices and it works well in your room. Next time, go all "James Bond" with it and have it recede into the wall :D.

L.J.
08-28-2007, 03:51 PM
Very Nice!!!!

westcott
08-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Looks great, Westcott :thumbsup: Vibrant color choices and it works well in your room. Next time, go all "James Bond" with it and have it recede into the wall :D.

I am surprised you mentioned the in wall route. I thought about it but all the walls in this room are supporting exterior walls. The firebreaks and added structural members made it impractical to implement. Heck, I could barely run wire through some of them and when I did, it was very difficult with LOTS of holes to patch.

Thanks for taking time to comment.

westcott
08-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Very Nice!!!!

Thanks. Glad you like it!!!

PeruvianSkies
08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
Westcott...

Great job and I would have responded earlier, but this thing became buried with other threads...it seems like once a thread is buried a few deep that they die before long.

westcott
09-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Westcott...

Great job and I would have responded earlier, but this thing became buried with other threads...it seems like once a thread is buried a few deep that they die before long.

Thanks PS. I wonder if some kind of buddy list is available here. I have not investigated it but maybe that would at least help track threads from those who we wish to keep track of.(referencing Mutiny Thread).

I will do some poking around when I find some time and get back to you.

P.S. It did not take that much poking to find it. Just not sure how it works so I will keep you posted and let you know if it is effective.