Ever thought about starting a hifi import business? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ever thought about starting a hifi import business?

nightflier
07-17-2007, 01:45 PM
There are so many interesting brands and products that are only available overseas, so that got me thinking. Has anyone tried to start an import-export business or is still doing it? Is it even worth investigating, or is that just too much trouble? Where should one start? Surely being a sole authorized distributor for a specific brand must be enticing.

O'Shag
07-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Definitely interesting. There are certainly excellent brands overseas that seem to get little or no notice here in the USA. A good example is the French Mimetism CD player. I've never seen it reviewed in the US, and yet its one of the best CD players money can buy. There are many such products, but one has to wonder what the market acceptance factor will be without reviews from Streophile or TAS. Unfortunately, without these reviewer testimonials, its very difficult to make serious headway....

Luvin Da Blues
07-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Yep, then spend thousands of $$ and about a year or two getting the UL/CSA certification.

Maybe you could get the manufacturer to go that route first.

That's probably why no one has done it yet????

Florian
07-18-2007, 06:41 AM
I do this actually, in a sort of way. I act as a broker for exotic audio products. I only take products in mint conditon with a high value. So far its been several Apogee speakers *rebuild ones and amplifiers from Krell and Sphinx.

nightflier
07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Yep, then spend thousands of $$ and about a year or two getting the UL/CSA certification. Maybe you could get the manufacturer to go that route first.

So the vendor would be responsible for the UL/CSA certification?

Florian,

So you don't have to deal with the UL/CSA certification, since it's technically used gear right? How do you deal with the high cost of shipping things like Apogee speakers?

I'm also thinking that if one was reasonably knowledgeable about a particular product line or market segment, that would provide an advantage, right?

Luvin Da Blues
07-18-2007, 05:14 PM

I don't think it matters who gets the certification as long as someone has put the sticker on it before the sale. You only have to get certified once per model number tho. i don't think used equipment needs to be, or for private sales..but I could be wrong.

http://www.csa-international.org/testing_certification_us/Default.asp?language=english

http://www.ul.com/onlinetools.html

Florian
07-19-2007, 12:48 AM

Florian,

So you don't have to deal with the UL/CSA certification, since it's technically used gear right? How do you deal with the high cost of shipping things like Apogee speakers?

I'm also thinking that if one was reasonably knowledgeable about a particular product line or market segment, that would provide an advantage, right?

Yes, since its used gear i dont have to deal with it. A translated bill of sale is all that is needed. Shipping cost would be a concern for a potential buyer in a "commerical" segment. My clients are all very wealthy gentlemen who are looking for very fine examples of exotic speakers. Money is not much of a concern for them. To give you an example. A Apogee Grand comes in 5 wooden crates and a combined weight of aprox. 3300lbs Shipping cost from France to Washington was 12400$. The systems used price was at the time aprox. 105000$. The client has to be a millionare obvisously, cause a poor shmoe like myself couldnt never afford this. They want a exclusive and special product and they only care for the quality.

Used Apogees can be had for cheap on audiogon. But once they are restored (new ribbons, crossovers, covers etc..) they are worth a lot of money.

It helps to specialize, and i specialize myself on exotic ribbon speakers and rare amplifiers. It helps to finance the hobby :)

nightflier
07-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Well I don't know if I could start off selling $100K speaker systems, but I really wouldn't mind getting into this second-hand biz. I'd probably focus on smaller components that are more manageable and easier to ship. I always had the hope of doing something like this and at the same time reviewing each item as it passes through my hands.

Luvin Da Blues
07-20-2007, 07:31 PM
Well I don't know if I could start off selling $100K speaker systems, but I really wouldn't mind getting into this second-hand biz. I'd probably focus on smaller components that are more manageable and easier to ship. I always had the hope of doing something like this and at the same time reviewing each item as it passes through my hands.

This certainly would be a cool job. Best thing is that you can start part time in your spare moments (whatever that is) and go Big Time when the orders are there. Good Luck. :)

Virtue
08-06-2007, 04:09 AM
Hi All, I am in the U.K and have been considering setting up an AV brokering company. I am no expert in AV equipment but have been brokering I.T hardware for 10 years between the U.S and Europe so know the business model. I would be happy to consider some ideas and would like to have a good network of contacts in the U.S.A if I get this thing off the ground. Together we could create something beautiful.