Fender marketing Joe Strummer tele model [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fender marketing Joe Strummer tele model

MindGoneHaywire
07-16-2007, 07:30 PM
I'm not going to waste much time on this, what's the point. Strummer's wife signed off on it anyway, what's the difference. But the idea of buying a brand new instrument made to look like it's been beaten due to wear, and, in this case, aggressive play, strikes me as completely bankrupt in every possible way.

I don't know, when I buy a new guitar, I like it to look new. That's just me. What do I know. I thought these things were supposed to be about playing, not battle scars. I don't want to get into some populist rant or start speculating on the Joe Strummer we think we know would've gone for this. It just rings hollow.

http://www.fender.com/joestrummer/

MindGoneHaywire
07-16-2007, 08:33 PM
I'm sorry, I couldn't let this part go:

"To celebrate Strummer's fierce sense of individuality"

That's part of the sales pitch here:

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2007/Fender-Joe-Strummer-Telecaster.html

This I have more of an issue with. Someone with a fierce sense of individuality is not likely to want other musicians to use a device based on presenting people with the opportunity to all be the same. The tribute/worship aspect of that I won't even bother with.

Hey, let's all be different together.

Ugh.

ForeverAutumn
07-17-2007, 05:03 AM
But it comes with stickers! :thumbsup:

I agree. The whole idea is cheesy IMO. It cheapens the very "fierce sense of individuality" that the guitar claims to promote.

It just feels wrong.

BradH
07-17-2007, 05:39 AM
...a brand new instrument made to look like it's been beaten due to wear...

Kinda like Strummer himself.

Also this fall, Fender announces the Jimi Hendrix Customization Kit complete with Strat compatible matches and Hendrix Family approved lighter fluid.

Mr MidFi
07-17-2007, 05:50 AM
I won't be happy until I can play my guitar with an official Spinal Tap violin!