150 watt JM Chorus speaker powered by 250 W Halo A21 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : 150 watt JM Chorus speaker powered by 250 W Halo A21

cocopeep
07-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Hi guys, Im thinking about buying a new pair of JM Labs 726 V speakers I listened to at my local dealer. These speakers are rated to handle about 200-250 watts. My Parasound Halo A21 amp puts out 250 watts @ 8 ohms and I am running those into a pair of JSE Infinite slope 1.8 that can handle 300 watts max power. My question is will I blow these or any other speakers if they are not an equal power rating to the amp? Or should I choose a speaker with a power handling of more than 250 watts, thanks.

emorphien
07-15-2007, 05:43 PM
What you're talking about shouldn't be an issue, but problems can occur, for example if your setup falls under either of these two situations: The first is driving the speakers hard on an amp without enough power which leads to clipping and can damage the speaker. The second would be putting way too much power in to a speaker. As long as you don't turn it up too high you could use an amplifier rated for an output 10x your speakers rated power handling.

basite
07-16-2007, 03:10 AM
speakers are more prone to blow when they are driven by an underpowered amp.

that amp will drive your speakers just fine, just don't turn it up too loud, not that you can't play loud, but too loud will always break your speakers.