Pagan Troy and other Tony Levin fans [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pagan Troy and other Tony Levin fans

Finch Platte
07-15-2007, 07:39 AM
What's your take on Levin's Double Espresso disc? AllMusic likes it, but I wanted to hear from "real" people. :D

AllMusic: Although bassist Tony Levin has played on countless albums since the early '70s, he did not get around to issuing his first album until the late '90s. Perhaps to make up for lost time, Levin has cranked out solo releases on a consistent basis since his 1996 solo debut, World Diary. 2002 saw the release of his fourth solo outing in six years, the double-live disc Double Espresso. Credited to "the Tony Levin Band," the album sees Levin joined by synth player Larry Fast, and a pair of guitarists/vocalists, Jesse Gress and Jerry Marotta. Included are renditions of Levin solo tunes, tracks that Levin has played on by other artists, and also non-related covers performed just for the heck of it. Standouts include a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" (in which Levin replaces Robert Plant's sex-crazed vocals with his bass, of course), as well as readings of King Crimson's bass showcase "Elephant Talk," Genesis' "Back in NYC," and a few moody Levin solo tracks, including "Silhouette" and "Utopia." If you couldn't have already guessed from any of the exceptional live DVDs by King Crimson or Peter Gabriel that he's appeared on, Double Espresso proves once and for all that Levin has no problem replicating his bass mastery on-stage as a band leader.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf500/f560/f56001nrk9v.jpg

The local used CD emporium has it for $10. Yay or nay? Let's just say I'm not a huge Levin fan, but this does sound interesting.

Thajds,

fp

Troy
07-15-2007, 09:19 AM
What's your take on Levin's Double Espresso disc? AllMusic likes it, but I wanted to hear from "real" people. :D

AllMusic: Although bassist Tony Levin has played on countless albums since the early '70s, he did not get around to issuing his first album until the late '90s. Perhaps to make up for lost time, Levin has cranked out solo releases on a consistent basis since his 1996 solo debut, World Diary. 2002 saw the release of his fourth solo outing in six years, the double-live disc Double Espresso. Credited to "the Tony Levin Band," the album sees Levin joined by synth player Larry Fast, and a pair of guitarists/vocalists, Jesse Gress and Jerry Marotta. Included are renditions of Levin solo tunes, tracks that Levin has played on by other artists, and also non-related covers performed just for the heck of it. Standouts include a cover of Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" (in which Levin replaces Robert Plant's sex-crazed vocals with his bass, of course), as well as readings of King Crimson's bass showcase "Elephant Talk," Genesis' "Back in NYC," and a few moody Levin solo tracks, including "Silhouette" and "Utopia." If you couldn't have already guessed from any of the exceptional live DVDs by King Crimson or Peter Gabriel that he's appeared on, Double Espresso proves once and for all that Levin has no problem replicating his bass mastery on-stage as a band leader.

http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf500/f560/f56001nrk9v.jpg

The local used CD emporium has it for $10. Yay or nay? Let's just say I'm not a huge Levin fan, but this does sound interesting.

Thajds,

fp

It's pretty good. I was a bit disappointed by the covers. They just seem to lack a certain something.

His studio album with many of the same songs on it "Pieces of the Sun" is the one to get. Great production, rich sound.

Finch Platte
07-15-2007, 11:09 AM
It's pretty good. I was a bit disappointed by the covers. They just seem to lack a certain something.

Original artists, perhaps? :lol:

Thanks for the tips, but I'm not sure how many used Levin discs I'll have to choose from. :confused5:

richmon
07-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Troy's right, Piece's of the Sun is the better choice, Double Expresso is unfocused with some filler where POTS does away with the filler.

Of course another choice is Liquid Tension Experiment, I prefer the second one. Tony's bass work is outstanding there and the disc rawks.

PeruvianSkies
07-16-2007, 01:53 PM
Troy's a pagan???

Rich-n-Texas
07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
I don't think it's a good thing if you're a Pagan Troy. Find your nearest Catholic church and confess your sins! Be careful of the priest though, he may try to make a pass at you in the dark confessional booth.

Troy
07-16-2007, 04:40 PM
Just say no to organized religion.

My god can beat up your god.

bobsticks
07-16-2007, 04:46 PM
My god can beat up your god.

...and isn't this just the kind of thing that has our world in the messed up shape it's in.

I've never heard Pieces of the sun so I can't comment but I will say Liquid Tension Experiment is tight. Levin has quite a presence.