All Things Blue..or Jazz..or R&B [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : All Things Blue..or Jazz..or R&B

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Surely, (and don't call me Shirley) I'm not the only one around here that Luvs da Blues so I thought I would start this thread to discuss anything 'bout the Blues, R&B or Jazz.

I grew up in the very late 60's and 70's listening to all the great rock bands from the day ..Stones, Ten Years After, Hendrix, LZ, Sabbath et al, not realizing that just about all the tunes I liked where basically rejigged blues standards. As I got a little older (wiser?) I started to listen to the British Blues bands Cream, John Mayall, Paul Butterfield,Yardbirds?, LJ Baldry etc.

I still didn't "get it" until I got to the roots of the blues. My preferences are the Delta and Chicago blues(doesn't matter if it's harp, guitar or piano blues) but just love Texas Fried Blues like Steve Ray Vaughn and Omar and the Howlers.

There are a few newer great acts today, such as Jonny Lang, Kenny Wayne Shepherd and of course Eric Clapton still "has it".

When was the first time ya "got the blues"?

jrhymeammo
07-15-2007, 07:38 AM
I dont know chit about Blues, but I like to add a couple of my favoirtes.

Hear my Blues - Al Smith
Chicago Bound - JImmy Rogers

and I must add that they must be on LP because.....

JRA

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 07:43 AM
I dont know chit about Blues, but I like to add a couple of my favoirtes.

Hear my Blues - Al Smith
Chicago Bound - JImmy Rogers

and I must add that they must be on LP because.....

JRA

Ya got good taste mon ami.

Shouldn't be a problem to get almost any "collectible" blues on vinyl considering the era most were recorded in, if your so inclined.

Check out some Bobby Bland or Johnny "Guitar" Watson. :8:

kexodusc
07-15-2007, 08:59 AM
My guitar teacher had a huge blues collection and insisted we learn a bunch of his favorite songs for a variety of reasons - IIRC strumming technique all in the traditional I-IV-V, 12 bar blues arrangement and of course learning minor and blues scales. I might have been 12 or 13, didn't really care much for it at the time.
Except I was just introduced to Hendrix (via Wayne's World actually) and totally picked up on some blues in the music. Then I started listening more.
My teacher started me off with Robert Johnson (though I didn't appreciate him until years later), and of course the 3 Kings, B.B., Albert, and Freddie...
I got into them right away. From there it was Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker...etc.

Then of course SRV, which lead to more more Hendrix, the Allman Bros, Clapton, Cream, Led Zeppelin, etc...lots of blue based rock.

I dunno if I have a preference for the old Delta or Chicago blues or not, I guess I'm not that fussy.

Jazz took me a lot longer. I didn't mind a lot it, but never really found myself eager to explore it that much. My collection was limited to more contemporary stuff that didn't really wow me. I'd dabble in some stuff like Kenny G or Diana Krall or whatever but never really connected with it.
Only last year did I finally just suddenly develop an ear for it I guess. I"ve been on an extended binge since October.
Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Wes Montgomery, Ella Fitzgerald, Duke Ellington, Edmund Fitzgerald, etc..

I'm one of the organizers for a little Jazz and Blues music Festival very small Canadian town we moved to a couple of years ago has been running for 17 years now or so. Year 3 for me. It's a rockin good time for 1 week every year.

This year we got Gov't freakin' Mule...I'm a huuuugge Mule fan. Quite an accomplishment for a completely non-profit, volunteer run outfit in a town of maybe 60,000. Can't wait for September.

Rae
07-15-2007, 09:17 AM
If you like the blues, you'll love Blues Hammer.

~Rae

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 09:25 AM
If you like the blues, you'll love Blues Hammer.

~Rae

Just checked them out on YouTube.. not too bad.

I liken the Blues to sex...No such thing as bad sex/blues, just some is better than others. :cornut:

basite
07-15-2007, 09:52 AM
Johnny "Guitar" Watson. :8:

oh yeah! I knew I was not the only one :)

it was the first record I took out dad's collection and it's staying here in my collection now :cornut:

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 10:10 AM
Your parental units sound pretty cool Basite..probably my age.

Anyone see the PBS documentary last night "Red, White and Blues" made in 2003 and directed by Mike Figgis? Filmed at Abby Road and featured Van Morrison, Tom Jones (who knew he started out as a blues singer), Lulu?, Jeff Beck and a lot more established "blues men".

It also had interviews with Eric Clapton, BB King, John Mayall, Albert Lee, Stevie Winwood and footage from Muddy Waters, Leadbelly, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and more..

Check out this link if your interested...

http://www.pbs.org/theblues/aboutfilms/figgis.html

opt80
07-15-2007, 10:17 AM
How about

Jerry Ricks
Watermelon Slim
John dee Holeman
David Johannsen & The Harry Smiths
Roy Rogers
Canadian Guy Davis
Canadian Dutch Mason

Alan

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 10:20 AM
How about

Jerry Ricks
Watermelon Slim
John dee Holeman
David Johannsen & The Harry Smiths
Roy Rogers
Canadian Guy Davis
Canadian Dutch Mason

Alan

I'm a huge Dutch Mason fan..To bad about his recent early demise..may he R.I.P.

musicman1999
07-15-2007, 10:48 AM
Kex
I was really impressed with the Harvestfest line-up when i read it.Govt Mule,Warren Haynes acoustic show and Doctor John.Kicked hell out of our JazzEast festival although i am looking forward to The Downchild Blues Band on Tuesday night.Hoping to get to Govt Mule,I am in Halifax btw,but i dont know yet.Did you hear about the Dutch Mason Blues Fest in Truro in August,Kenny Wayne Sheppard,James Cotton and Buddy Guy?
Any way congrats on the great line up you have put together.

bill

musicman1999
07-15-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm a huge Dutch Mason fan..To bad about his recent early demise..may he R.I.P.

Amen to that.I saw Dutch play on many occasions and never failed to have a good time.Take note of my previous post about the second annual Dutch Mason Blues Fest this summer.Have you checked out his son Garrett Mason,a great player in his own right.

bill

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Amen to that.I saw Dutch play on many occasions and never failed to have a good time.Take note of my previous post about the second annual Dutch Mason Blues Fest this summer.Have you checked out his son Garrett Mason,a great player in his own right.

bill

Hey, thanks for the tip..I will be keeping my eyes/ears open for him. I went to his website but it looks like a work in progress. If he's half as good as his ol'man I'm already a fan.

I've seen the Dutch Man a couple of times also...nuttin lacking in his shows.

Swish
07-15-2007, 11:14 AM
When was the first time ya "got the blues"?

I was introduced to him by our own Finch Platte...or was it Troy? Anyway, he has the best name in the business.

Swish

kexodusc
07-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Kex
I was really impressed with the Harvestfest line-up when i read it.Govt Mule,Warren Haynes acoustic show and Doctor John.Kicked hell out of our JazzEast festival although i am looking forward to The Downchild Blues Band on Tuesday night.Hoping to get to Govt Mule,I am in Halifax btw,but i dont know yet.Did you hear about the Dutch Mason Blues Fest in Truro in August,Kenny Wayne Sheppard,James Cotton and Buddy Guy?
Any way congrats on the great line up you have put together.

bill
You're right, it is a pretty sweet lineup. I'm more behind the scenes in logistics, security etc, so I won't take credit. When I found out we got the Mule and Warren Hayes I was giddy as a school girl. Gov't Mule has been one of my favs for years now. Couldn't believe they'd come to Freddy Beach.

Last year was great, G.E. Smith was the highlight for me. This year just blows it out of the water. Hope you can make it out...
As great as some of the headliners are (Watermelon Slim is going to be good), some of the lesser known jazzy acts are the ones that really impress me. Last year we had this group "God Made Me Funky", which I don't think fall under pure jazz, but that was one of the best music shows I've ever seen. Some artists make music that just doesn't reproduce well on LP, CD, etc, you have to see them live. These guys are a classic example. The Love Dogs are a lot of fun too.

I'm not too familiar with the region yet, and didn't even know about your JazzEast Festival...when's that? Hadn't heard about the DM show in Truro, either.

musicman1999
07-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Hi
Our fest is on right now,started yesterday,and runs 5 more days.check out Dutch Masons web site for more details.I hope to make the Mule show.

bill

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 07:27 PM
Blind Blindy McBlindblind

I was introduced to him by our own Finch Platte...or was it Troy? Anyway, he has the best name in the business.

Swish

Sorry Swish...never heard of him (assuming he's male), with a name like that is he for real?. Did a Google with no luck.

I'm always on the lookout for "new to me" blues acts. Can you elaborate on him such as what label he's on, what era did he play, what style of blues etc.

Let the good times roll. :0:

Finch Platte
07-15-2007, 08:58 PM

Sorry Swish...never heard of him (assuming he's male), with a name like that is he for real?. Did a Google with no luck.

I'm always on the lookout for "new to me" blues acts. Can you elaborate on him such as what label he's on, what era did he play, what style of blues etc.

Blinde Blindy McBlindblind (he dropped the 'e' after the 4th grade), was born in a melon patch in San Diego, Tennesee. His parents were 2 men, whom, I can assure you, were as scandalized as you are now.

He gained the moniker 'Blind' after a fellow student realized that, since Blinde was blind, he should be 'Blind' Blindy McBlindblind. That student also introduced McBlindblind to the French horn, in which McBlindblind took a keen interest. Natural progressing led McBlindblind to the blues guitar, when he saw a DVD of Robert Johnson (filmed around 1998), which made him want to thown down his French horn and grab a Dutch one. But there was no such thing, so it was guitar, then.

The rest is history. If you know yer blues, you know about Blind Blindy McBlindblind. If you don't, you'll just know about not-great artists like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Clapton.

:crazy:

MindGoneHaywire
07-15-2007, 09:41 PM
I thank you for that...sincerely.

For me, nobody did it better than Howlin' Wolf. But, many others sure had their moments. Big Joe Turner, Wynonie Harris, Little Walter, Billie Holiday, Leadbelly, Tom Waits, Magic Sam, Freddie King, Big Maybelle, Elmore James, The Rolling Stones, early Dinah Washington, the White Stripes.

I admire Muddy Waters' songs & I dig B.B. King too but I've been burned out on him for awhile. Robert Johnson I was never all that into, and like Muddy Waters he was a figure whose work led to the blues being associated primarily with guitar playing. When done well that's fine but I've been sick of that aspect of it for a long time.

Jimi Hendrix' take on the blues was great, but I think Dylan's was even better.

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 10:08 PM
The rest is history. If you know yer blues, you know about Blind Blindy McBlindblind. If you don't, you'll just know about not-great artists like Kenny Wayne Shepherd and Eric Clapton.

1998..History???? I guess I know Diddley (and not Bo) :rolleyes:

nobody
07-16-2007, 07:11 AM
First Blues I ever went to see was John Lee Hooker. I was about 17 and had no idea who he was but won some tickets so I went. Ended up sitting on the floor with a glass of whiskey most of the night. Definitely peaked my interest in the blues. I also like the bluesy side of jazz and all kinda R&B. I'd say I listen to more stuff in the gap between jazz and blues than straight up blues these days. Was playing a really good Sonny Phillips record that would fit nicely in there this weekend, actually.

I lean toward more traditional blues and don't care much about the modern blues rock kinda stuff for the most part. I like the old delta stuff best and a bit of the Chicago electric blues as well.

I got a friend who's a big music fan and listens to pretty much nothing but blues. So, to be honest, I often get my fill when I'm hanging around him and tend not to listen to the stuff much otherwise.

Luvin Da Blues
07-16-2007, 07:52 AM
I got a friend who's a big music fan and listens to pretty much nothing but blues. So, to be honest, I often get my fill when I'm hanging around him and tend not to listen to the stuff much otherwise.

I agree that the blues (or at least a lot of it) is not for everyone but I found that my musical tastes evolved to it from listening to a lot of 60's and 70's rock which owes alot to the blues.:thumbsup:

nobody
07-16-2007, 08:40 AM
There's the problem for me. Most of that 60s and 70s heavily blues influenced rock stuff turns me off to a large degree.

Luvin Da Blues
07-16-2007, 09:56 AM
There's the problem for me. Most of that 60s and 70s heavily blues influenced rock stuff turns me off to a large degree.

But ain't it great that we all have different tastes and that in it self gives more exposure to tunes that we may never get to hear and I respect that.

I found that since the mid 80's to 2000 or so most rock music took a turn from being about the "feel" to being about the image and style and be damned about the content, please feel free to correct me tho.:thumbsup:

nobody
07-16-2007, 10:05 AM
I kinda think rock music has been as much about style as substance for a long time. Just look at Elvis, for a glaring example. And, those 60s/70s bands with the long hair and the whole hippie cultural stuff were very tied into were always about much more than just the music.

And, I agree it is good to have different tastes. Nothing worse than a whole room full of people who agree on everything....that is truly boring.

Luvin Da Blues
07-16-2007, 10:49 AM
I kinda think rock music has been as much about style as substance for a long time. Just look at Elvis, for a glaring example. And, those 60s/70s bands with the long hair and the whole hippie cultural stuff were very tied into were always about much more than just the music.

And, I agree it is good to have different tastes. Nothing worse than a whole room full of people who agree on everything....that is truly boring.

After my initial exposure to the 60/70's rock when I was young I haven't really been a "mainstreamer" tho
:23:

Swish
07-16-2007, 12:16 PM

I know that inside jokes can drive everyone crazy, and that catch me quite often since I'm a bit of a scatter-brain (sigh). Anyway, years ago we had some blues discussion and Finchy posted something that he read in some publication or zine, all tongue-in-cheek of course, about the best name for an old blues player was Blind Blindy McBlindblind, or something close to that. It cracked me up and I never forgot it, so I had to post that to see if he would pick up on it....and he did.

Swish Baby

Swish
07-16-2007, 12:19 PM
Blinde Blindy McBlindblind (he dropped the 'e' after the 4th grade), was born in a melon patch in San Diego, Tennesee. His parents were 2 men, whom, I can assure you, were as scandalized as you are now.

He gained the moniker 'Blind' after a fellow student realized that, since Blinde was blind, he should be 'Blind' Blindy McBlindblind. That student also introduced McBlindblind to the French horn, in which McBlindblind took a keen interest. Natural progressing led McBlindblind to the blues guitar, when he saw a DVD of Robert Johnson (filmed around 1998), which made him want to thown down his French horn and grab a Dutch one. But there was no such thing, so it was guitar, then.

I didn't realize he was into the French horn at one time. You learn something new every day.

Blind Swish McBlindswish

MindGoneHaywire
07-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Are you referring to the 'Skunkbucket LeFunke' piece that emerged after Ken Burns' Jazz series?

Swish
07-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Are you referring to the 'Skunkbucket LeFunke' piece that emerged after Ken Burns' Jazz series?

Fade up on a grainy old photograph of a man in a three-piece suit, holding a cornet. Or a bicycle horn, it's hard to tell.

Narrator: Skunkbucket LeFunke was born in 1876 and died in 1901. No one who heard him is alive today. The grandchildren
of the people who heard him are not alive today. The great-grandchildren of the people who heard him are not alive today. He was never recorded.

Wynton Marsalis: I'll tell you what Skunk-bucket LeFunke sounded like. He had this big rippling sound, and he always phrased off the beat, and he slurred his notes. And when the Creole bands were still playing De-bah-de-bah-ta-da-tah, he was already playing Bo-dap-da-lete-do-do-do-bah! He was just like gumbo, ahead of his time.

Announcer: LeFunke was a cornet player, gambler, card shark, pool hustler, pimp, male prostitute, Kelly Girl, computer programmer, brain surgeon and he invented the Internet.

Stanley Crouch: When people listened to Skunkbucket LeFunke, they heard Do-do- dee-bwap-da-dee-dee-de-da-da-doop-doop-
dap. And they knew even then how deeply profound that was.

Announcer: It didn't take LeFunke long to advance the art of jazz past its humble beginnings in New Orleans whoredom with the addition of a bold and sassy beat.

Wynton: Let me tell you about the Big Four. Before the Big Four, jazz drumming sounded like BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick. But now they had the Big Four, which was so powerful some said it felt like a Six. A
few visiting musicians even swore they were in an Eight.

Stanley: It was smooth and responsive, and there was no knocking and pinging, even on 87 octane.

Wynton: Even on gumbo.

Announcer: When any musician in the world heard Louis Armstrong for the first time, they gnawed their arm off with envy, then said the angels probably wanted to sound like Louis. When you consider a bunch of angels talking in gruff voices
and singing "Hello Dolly," you realize what a stupid aspiration that is.

Gary Giddy: Louis changed jazz because he was the only cat going Do-da-dep-do-wah-be-be, while everyone else was doing Do-de-dap-dit-dit-dee.

Stanley: And that was very profound.

Marsalis: Like gumbo.

Stanley: Uh-huh.

Matt Glaser: I always have this fantasy that when Louis performed in Belgium, Heisenberg was in the audience and he
was blown away and that's where he got the idea for his Uncertainty Principle.

Marsalis: Because the Uncertainty Principle, applied to jazz, means you never know if a cat is going to go Dap-da-de-do-ba-ta-bah or Dap-da-de-do-bip-de-beep.

Wynton: Louis was the first one to realize that.

Stanley: And that can be very profound.

Stanley: I thought it was a box of chocolates...

Announcer: The Savoy Ballroom brought people of all races colors and political persuasions together to get sweaty as Europe moved closer and closer to the brink of World War II.

Savoy Dancer: We didn't care what color you were at the Savoy. We only cared if you were wearing deodorant.

Stanley: Wynton always wears deodorant.

Glaser: I'll bet Arthur Murray was on the dance floor and he was thinking about Louis and that's where he got the idea to open a bunch of dance schools.

Stanley: And that was very profound.

Giddy: Let's talk about Louis some more. We've wasted three minutes of this 57-part documentary not talking about Louis.

Wynton: He was an angel, a genius, much better than Cats.

Stanley: He invented the word "Cats."

Wynton: He invented swing, he invented jazz, he invented the telephone, the automobile and the polio vaccine.

Stanley: And the internet.

Wynton: Very profound.

Announcer: Louis Armstrong turned commercial in the 1930s and didn't make any more breakthrough contributions to jazz. But it's not PC to point that out, so we'll be showing him in every segment of this series to come, even if he's just doing the same things as the last time you saw him.

Glaser: I'll bet Chuck Yeager was in the audience when Louis was hitting those high Cs at the Earle Theater in Philadelphia, and that's what made him decide to break the sound barrier.

Stanley: And from there go to Pluto.

Wynton: I'm going to make some gumbo-

Stanley: BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick-BOOM-chick.

Giddy: Do-yap-do-wee-bah-scoot-scoot-dap-dap...That's what all the cats were saying back then.

Announcer: In 1964, John Coltrane was at his peak, Eric Dolphy was in Europe, where he would eventually die, the Modern Jazz Quartet was making breakthrough recordings in the field of Third Stream Music, Miles Davis was breaking new barrier with his second great quintet, and Charlie Mingus was extending jazz composition to new levels of complexity.
But we're going to talk about Louis singing "Hello Dolly" instead.

Stanley: Louis went, Ba-ba-yaba-do-do-dee-da-bebin-doo-wap-deet-deet-do-da-da.

Wynton: Sweets went, Scoop-doop-shalaba-yaba-mokey-hokey-bwap-bwap-tee-tee-dee.

Giddy: I go, Da-da-shoobie-doobie-det-det-det-bap-bap-baaaaa...

Announcer: The rest of the history of jazz will be shown in fast forward and will occupy exactly seven seconds. --There, that was it. Now here are some scenes from Ken Burns' next documentary, a 97-part epic about the Empire State Building, titled "The Empire State Building."

"It is tall and majestic. It is America's building. It is the Empire State Building. Dozens of workers gave their lives in the construction of this building."

Matt Glaser: I'll bet that they were thinking of Louis as they were falling to their deaths. I have this fantasy that his high notes
inspired the immenseness of the Empire State Building.

Wynton Marsalis: I'll bet most people who'd fall off the Empire State Building would go "Aaaaaahhhh!" But these cats went "Dee-dee-daba-da-da-bop-bop-de-dop-shewap- splat!"

Nah, not that.

Swish

Luvin Da Blues
07-16-2007, 12:47 PM
I know that inside jokes can drive everyone crazy, and that catch me quite often since I'm a bit of a scatter-brain (sigh). Anyway, years ago we had some blues discussion and Finchy posted something that he read in some publication or zine, all tongue-in-cheek of course, about the best name for an old blues player was Blind Blindy McBlindblind, or something close to that. It cracked me up and I never forgot it, so I had to post that to see if he would pick up on it....and he did.

Swish Baby

I know I'm gettin older but I try to keep my ear to the ground when it comes to "new to me" blues acts and if this dude was half as good as ya made it sound I surely woulda hear of him... I thought I was losin' it or this one maybe just flew under my radar.

Good one:cornut: ...and ya know it's gunna come back atcha. :ciappa:

LDB

Luvin Da Blues
07-16-2007, 04:53 PM
One of my favs is Muddy Waters take on Kansas City off his Woodstock album featuring Van Morrison. So, if you haven't heard this I would have a listen when you gotta chance and if you have let us know whatcha think.

Come to think of it I have hundreds of favorites.

SlumpBuster
07-16-2007, 07:51 PM
I've been trying to get a post on this thread but have been busy, so sorry if I'm late to the party.

One of my top 5 favorite bluesmen is Robert Ward. The guy as a signature guitar style unlike anything I've ever heard. I only stumbled upon him because I will generally buy anything I find on the defunct "Blacktop Records" label. The great thing about blues and jazz is that you can generally depend on the labels to provide you with stuff you like. i.e. if you like one artist on the label, there is a good chance you will like his label mates.

This is the only video I could find of Robert Ward. It is a little long and he is at the end, but it is a good watch and may hip you to some other artists. Also, definately stay tuned for "The Big Doowopper" a Chicago street musician playing for money. That guy is just sick, buy his record (I don't get a cut :D)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiWaFGKneIY

But, perhaps the best thing about jazz and blues is that you often don't have to go far to hear great music.

From a bar down the street from me:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmSXXCL8D9c&mode=related&search=

Luvin Da Blues
07-17-2007, 04:53 AM
It may be just me but do I hear a bit of Buddy Guy in Robert Wards playin' (or visa versa?)? Great stuff SlumpB.

In regards to "The Big Doowopper", now that's what the real blues is about...WOW. And of course Andrew Bird is always a treat.

On the second video, the SQ is so bad it's hard to really hear but Ya, Live Blues and Jazz is completely accessible to just about anyone so inclined.

Keep it coming.:cornut:

jrhymeammo
07-17-2007, 05:06 PM
yet?

http://vinylfreakmusicstore.com/img/lps/FreddieKingTexasCannonball.jpg

I have this album on.....wax(of course:smilewinkgrin:), and is probably the most underrated album in my stacks. Anyone here recommend anything else by him?

JRA

Luvin Da Blues
07-17-2007, 05:13 PM
......and of course the 3 Kings, B.B., Albert, and Freddie...
I got into them right away. From there it was Muddy Waters, T-Bone Walker, John Lee Hooker...etc.

MGH did also.

Not the best recording but checkout "Two Boys and a Girl" with Lulu Reed & Sonny Thompson. As I said B4 those Texans sure can Play the Blues (with a distinct sound).

jrhymeammo
07-17-2007, 05:49 PM
I guess so... So damn hard to keep up with this thread now.

Guess I need more free time from work.

PeaRA

Luvin Da Blues
07-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I guess so... So damn hard to keep up with this thread now.

Guess I need more free time from work.

PeaRA

Just take less work breaks :p

Luvin Da Blues
07-17-2007, 06:45 PM
There is so very little mention of the blues on this forum that I was gettin lonely. Gotta say guys, good to see suma Ya'll liken me typa tunes (you to Swish). Peace

musicman1999
07-17-2007, 07:09 PM
There is so very little mention of the blues on this forum that I was gettin lonely. Gotta say guys, good to see suma Ya'll liken me typa tunes (you to Swish). Peace
hey
Just got home from a great Downchild Blues Band show.An outdoor show on a beautiful night,about 500 people went home very happy.If you don't know these guys,check them out,they have been together 38 years and Dan Ackroyd was inspired by them to right the Blues Brothers after seeing them many times in his youth.

bill

Luvin Da Blues
07-17-2007, 07:23 PM
hey
Just got home from a great Downchild Blues Band show.An outdoor show on a beautiful night,about 500 people went home very happy.If you don't know these guys,check them out,they have been together 38 years and Dan Ackroyd was inspired by them to right the Blues Brothers after seeing them many times in his youth.

bill

Not bad for a bunch of Canadian white boys eh! I didn't know they were 38 years old, but then again I was pretty young when I first heard them and have seen them on many occasions. If you said "Flip, Flop and Fly" everyone would know of them. My favs of them is "There a Blues Band There" and "Rock Me".

You just don't see the blues "Bands" that much anymore most of it today is solo artists.

:cornut: :23: :cornut: