Have you ever sold speakers then regretted it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever sold speakers then regretted it?

O'Shag
07-14-2007, 11:35 PM
I've gone through quite a lot of gear - some good, some not so good. But there are a few components I've had to sell and regret it, even though it had to be done. I just don't have the space to keep everything as I currently live in a 1750sq feet apartment (but we're into a house very soon). A couple of speakers that I wish I didn't have to sell are the Polk RT3000p and an old pair of Altec Lansing 846a Valencias. If any of you folks ever are looking on the used market for a 'sleeper' that doesn' have high-end recognition but offers outstanding performance for the money, consider the Polk RT3000p. These not-exactly-beautiful speakers were part of the RT5000p 5 channel system. I still have the CS/1000p center channel because I've yet to hear a better center channel speaker. This center has two powered subwoofers build in!! The F/X 1000 dipole rear speakers are magico also. The RT3000p is capable of throwing a simply massive soundstage, and generating loud volume levels without a hint of strain whatsoever. this probably has something to do with the fact that each speaker's bass module has a 300watt amp built in. The RT3000p is awesome most especially for HT and that what it primarily was designed for. I regret having had to sell them and sometimes miss the enormous soundstage that extends well outside the room bounderies, and the incredible bass power -sheesh!!

I miss my Altec Valencias. If you guys have never heard these driven by, say, an original MacIntosh 275, you would be knocked back in your seat by the staggering dynamics these babies are capable of. I wish I didn't have to sell them. Maybe one day, with more space I can pick up another pair....

Feanor
07-15-2007, 06:44 AM
I've gone through quite a lot of gear - some good, some not so good. But there are a few components I've had to sell and regret it....

I sold my Ohm F full-range Walsh driver speakers to by B&W DM7; that was circa 1980. Although it took me a few years to full appreciate that blunder I came to understand and regret it. I doubt I would still have the Ohm F's today, but they could have served me well for years. (What POS those B&Ws. Typical British of the era: inefficient, recessed mid-range, and totally lacking in microdynamics or any kind of dynamics FTM.)

More recently I've regretted selling my Apt Holman preamp; a great classic preamp and huge bargain nowadays at a going price of under $200. I'm sorely tempted to buy a replacement one to use as a phono and backup preamp.

kexodusc
07-15-2007, 07:04 AM
Can't say I have, though I've been at this seriously for less than 10 years. I've sold a few power amps I wish I still had. And my Arcam integrated.

I'm afraid unlike some of you who've been around longer than me, I have more tails of purchases I've regretted than sales...

E-Stat
07-15-2007, 08:13 AM
I've gone through quite a lot of gear...
I have too, but not so with speakers where I've tended towards longer term relationships. I've gone down a pretty straight forward path from my first speakers to my last. And back again -- in the sense that I purchased another set of double Advents a few years back for my vintage garage system. In the past thirty five years, I've only had six different speakers in the main system. Advent / double Advent-->Braun LV1020-->Magneplanar MG-II, Acoustat X / Monitor 4-->Acoustat 2+2-->Sound Lab U-1.

It was, however, a little strange selling my Acoustat 2+2s a while back because they had been my close companions for over twenty years. OTOH, the U-1s more than took their place. I cannot imagine replacing them. :)

rw

JohnMichael
07-15-2007, 08:56 AM
I miss some of my old speakers but most were handed down to a friend or relative to help them get started in this hobby. My one pair I sold was a pair of A/D/S L570 and I would like the chance to hear them along with my NHT Superones and Ascend CBM170's.

GMichael
07-15-2007, 09:00 AM
Sell? Sell my speakers? Huh? I don't understand. Why would anyone sell their children. I still have every speaker I have ever bought, built or was given. The basement is getting crowded though.

basite
07-15-2007, 09:56 AM
which ones are stuffed in your basement Mike?

I also believe (although I haven't bougth new speakers yet, but I'm pretty sure on this) that selling a speaker is something I wouldn't do. Unless, of course, you don't see anymore floor in your house...

Jimmy C
07-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I bought a pair of Klipsch KG2s in 1986ish, and sold my beloved Boston A70s (1980) to a friend. Certainly, a $320 speaker will be better than a $280 speaker, right?... uugh.

Actually, the KG2 sounded good (more bass, fairly dynamic...) but failed to please in the long run. I suppose the Klipsch was drier, the Bostons warmer.

Another friend (yup... I have more than one!) recently gave me his Boston A100s and I put new factory woofers in them. She's a satisfying speaker, but I dont have them properly elevated/set-up yet. At least some of the memories are back!

GMichael
07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
which ones are stuffed in your basement Mike?

I also believe (although I haven't bougth new speakers yet, but I'm pretty sure on this) that selling a speaker is something I wouldn't do. Unless, of course, you don't see anymore floor in your house...

4 home built
2 Awai (or whatever)
5 cube style (way worse than Bose)
1 passive sub from above mentioned crap
5 Yamama bookshelf
1 Yamaha 8 inch (sub?)
1 Jenson 10" sub
2 sony bookshelf

Maybe I should sell these. The only ones that are any good at all are the ones I built.

Florian
07-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Well, i dont miss them now, but i once sold a Magnepan 3.6 for a VMPS RM30 and that was my biggest audio mistake today.

anamorphic96
07-15-2007, 11:25 AM
The Dynaudio Audience 42's I sold a few months back was not one of my brighter moves. But the PSB Stratus GB1's I picked up have eased the pain.

GMichael
07-15-2007, 11:32 AM
Well, i dont miss them now, but i once sold a Magnepan 3.6 for a VMPS RM30 and that was my biggest audio mistake today.

Where was I that week?

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 11:47 AM
The Dynaudio Audience 42's I sold a few months back was not one of my brighter moves. But the PSB Stratus GB1's I picked up have eased the pain.

Just an aside,

How ya likin' them now that you spent some time with them. I find my GT1s are pretty forgiving with regards to placement. :)

Florian
07-15-2007, 12:40 PM
Where was I that week?

On holiday?

Sedan Delivery
07-15-2007, 01:32 PM
My biggest regret to date(I'm sure that there are more to come) is selling my tyler acoustics "taylos" monitors,,followed by my belles 350a.I'm still trying to figure out why.:21:

nightflier
07-15-2007, 03:05 PM
I have sold quite a few speakers over the years, almost every one for less than I paid, but my biggest blunder was a gift: I gave away my MB Quart QL-S830s. Not very well known, but certainly a beautiful speaker with an amazing tweeter. Unfortunately, my "friend" decided to flip them within a month and bought a Bose setup because he didn't want "big" speakers.

We're not friends anymore.

GMichael
07-16-2007, 05:27 AM
On holiday?

Well, I'm back now. What else ya got to sell? Keep in mind that I can't afford to pay you what they're worth, or the even the freight to here for that matter.:sosp:

GMichael
07-16-2007, 05:28 AM
I have sold quite a few speakers over the years, almost every one for less than I paid, but my biggest blunder was a gift: I gave away my MB Quart QL-S830s. Not very well known, but certainly a beautiful speaker with an amazing tweeter. Unfortunately, my "friend" decided to flip them within a month and bought a Bose setup because he didn't want "big" speakers.

We're not friends anymore.

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHH Just shoot me now!

bfalls
07-16-2007, 05:44 PM
I had two pair of Klipsch KG4s and sold one. I've regretted it ever since. I sold them for $325, which isn't bad, but I'd rather have the speakers. I still have one pair which I'll never part with, but still sorry I didn't keep the second pair.

RuSsMaN
07-16-2007, 07:47 PM
The 3000P's were wonderful speakers. Tight, deep, articulate bass. The woofers were essential from the original DB car series, which are still highly sought after today.

My biggest 'DOH' would have to be Spendor 1/2's. I had them on a Beard KT88 amp, and it was MAGIC. Some of, if not THE best sound I've had in house. So what did I do? Decided I needed try some Sonus Faber on an Aragon sand amp. BIG mistake.

Cheers,
Russ

O'Shag
07-17-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm not much for selling either, and the 'trouble and strife' (the wife) is always pleased to see me reduce my stock, especially as it doesn't happen very often. I have an absolutely mint pair of KEF Reference 107s which are awesome and took me 2 years to find (I'm picky about condition). I've had them for three years now. I've been hankering after a pair of Wilsons but the missus says some stuff including my KEFs will have to go if she'll agree to letting me have the Wilsons. I just don't think I can bring myself to part with my 107s though. Tough choice. I know if I sell them I'll regret it..

basite
07-17-2007, 07:32 AM
which wilsons are you hankering after?

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Florian
07-18-2007, 06:36 AM
Well, I'm back now. What else ya got to sell? Keep in mind that I can't afford to pay you what they're worth, or the even the freight to here for that matter.:sosp:

Mmh, not much really. I got a pair of Wireworld Orbit 5 speaker cables for sale for 150 bucks. A Marantz DVD player is also up for grabs. Other then that i am well settled in. I just bought a pair of Magnan Signature speaker cables and wait for them to arive.

:-)

RoodooR
07-18-2007, 12:17 PM
...snif...Luxman L80V amp together with B&W DM2A...good match!

Luvin Da Blues
07-18-2007, 05:09 PM
Had some Control Xtreme 1's...I think Spanky has then now

cocopeep
07-18-2007, 06:05 PM
I know these are considered junk by todays standards, but I wish I had my Fisher MS-137 speakers. Rated to handle only 35 watts a speaker, it had low bass output even with an 8 inch woofer and 8 inch passive radiator. Cheaply made and lightweight cabinets rattled with the music, I still enjoyed them in middle school.:17:

Pat D
07-19-2007, 05:32 PM
Well, not for the reasons mentioned. I had a pair of Kef 104aB speakers that I gave away to a friend of mine. She was definitely not on the right track and I became her mentor, advised her to get some training and get a better job. After she married, I gave them the old Kefs. Well, her husband wasn't a very good provider, sort of shiftless, and now sees visions. Anyway, they broke up and he got the Kefs!

If I had kept them, I could have used them as second speakers and probably would now be using them for HT, as they are excellent for vocals.

That being said, I have a couple of pairs of speakers which are more accurate.

pixelthis
07-20-2007, 01:37 AM
I had a complete set of b&w 600 series I sold to a friend, with a dm302 pair of floorstanders for the rear, My klipsches are nice but have been a little disapointing.
WELL, my buddy likes my new speakers, so I am getting my b&w's back:thumbsup:

waltband
08-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I sold a set of Ifinity speakers which had inverted Walsh tweeters -- I have regretted losing them ever since -- the placement of instruments and spatial detail were amazing -- I think they were a model 2000 -- anyone know whatthey were -- they were wide floor standers

PeruvianSkies
08-12-2007, 10:48 PM
when I have upgraded over the years I always give my stuff to friends...I think it's kinda cool to get something new and be able to give something new for someone else to enjoy.

Tnega
08-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Sell?:nono:
Buy your upgrade and shuffle your gear, and when something falls out the bottom, give it away.
Keep trailing edge technology alive.