Martin Logans vista, or keep old JSE infinite slope 1.8 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Martin Logans vista, or keep old JSE infinite slope 1.8

cocopeep
07-14-2007, 02:58 PM
Hi, I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the Martin Logan Vistas and how they are in a small room such as 13 x 18 with 8' ceiling. I know they should be a few feet from the rear wall. I plan on placing them along the long wall in a rectangular room setting. My question is if the ML's would be better soundstage wise than an old pair of JSE Infinite Slopes 1.8. These are still good speakers with 2-10" woofers, 1-6 mid, 1-1" tweeter. Should I keep the JSE or go with ML'S? I'd appreciate any reply :idea: .

Equipement
Parasound Halo A21 amp
B&K Reference 5 pre
Roksan kandy CD
Monster HTS 3500
Cardas cross 1m interconnect from cd to pre
Cardas cross 1m XLR from pre to amp
Cardas quadlink 2m speaker for treble
Cardas twin speaker for bass

Mr Peabody
07-14-2007, 08:48 PM
I've heard several models of Martin Logan but not the Vista yet. I am not familiar with your JSE's. I really like ML speakers. If you aren't very familiar with them, they have a different feel than a dynamic speaker. You don't get as much of a physical sensation from the electrostats, it's like when you turn them up, you hear them get louder but you don't feel it. The ML's also tend to sound much better in the "sweet spot" and will most likely require some playing around with placement for optimum performance. On the plus side ML's recreate a large and detailed sound stage. The ML's give a certain presence to the performance like no other speaker I've heard. Do some listening and see if you can arrange an in home audition. The old Aeries had noticeable bottom end roll off, the Clarities were better and I suspect with the Vista having an aluminum cone it is even better, but you should give them some scruteny.

I'd love to have the room for a pair of their amplified speakers and run my Conrad Johnson gear on the panels. I heard the Summits which where very impressive. They really done their homework on the bass reproduction here.

DEVO
07-15-2007, 05:35 AM
As a long time lover of ML, it is always personal preference. Mr. Peabody pretty much laid it down on the table.
One thing about ML is they are VERY accurate. Once you have found their sweet spot, they will play what the recording studio mixed. But you do want to have them about 2 feet away from the wall so they can breathe.
Most speakers have a certain sound they are looking for. Bright? Warm? They all try to color the mix in one way or the other. ML & their Vojtko™ Crossover is one of the best in the business. Hand made with the some of the best materials.
I personally like the Vista a little better than the Vantage because I like to control the bass separately (personal preference). But the Summit's, well now that is another subject...I'm in love!

Good Luck!

RuSsMaN
07-16-2007, 07:41 PM
The Infinite Slope's are classic, time aligned wonderment. Quite a different sound from Martin Logan. The good news is, your Parasound has the balls to drive either.

Get your ears on the ML's, and see if it's your cup of tea.

Cheers,
Russ