Processor vid hookup confusion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Processor vid hookup confusion

notafulldeck
07-14-2007, 04:56 AM
I've found a couple of older processors I love for their audio abilities, but they don't have newer vid capabilities HDMI or component- While I was struggling with this I began to wonder why I just can't hookup my HD source directly into my monitor using component or HDMI bypassing the processor??? What am I missing out on by using the processor for just the audio processing? ...TIA

Luvin Da Blues
07-14-2007, 05:02 AM
Thats actually the preferred way by a lot of people in this forum. You bypass one "switcher" (receiver) this way. The only down fall is that you have to switch both the TV and receiver, a small price to pay. I have mine connected directly to the TV and can preview whats on with out turning off the tunes.

Luvin Da Blues
07-14-2007, 05:11 AM
Bye the Bye...Welcome to this forum. didn't notice your post count.

Mr Peabody
07-14-2007, 06:14 AM
Yip, welcome.

I am in the same cituation as you. Well, my processor does offer component but I go directly to my HDTV from my various video sources. Not only is this a direct route (closest distance between 2 points is a straight line and no worry about if your processor is or can handle the video properly) but as the HD audio formats come about it will be difficult to find receivers/processors to decode them and if you do some sources report there are going to be compatibility problems. The best way to do the HD audio formats for some time to come will be the 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs. And, who wants to replace a receiver/processor every time a new audio format comes out, or an improvement is made. The HD disc formats are just in the infancy. Even though my processor has component in/out, it will only allow the set up menu via composite. That is stupid. So I just don't mess with the video section except to run one cable in case I need to view the set up.

I also read an article that said the Blu-ray is not yet using all the storage capacity they have availble on the disc, who knows what the future will hold.

Actually, I am almost an early adopter of HDTV, about a year or so after I bought my 1080i display they started coming out with 1080p. The price I had to pay for my DLP, I'm sure not in a hurry to upgrade. I want to get some use out of it for my money. So no matter when we decide to jump in on the HD thing it will be nearly impossible to keep with the latest technology unless one has more money than they know what to do with. I want to be that persons friend so I can benefit from their discards:)

notafulldeck
07-14-2007, 07:47 AM
Thanks for responses. I'm justing getting into HT and this info is making it a lot easier to put my system together. I've got 1080i also, and I didn't want to sacrifice resolution with non-HD connections like composite, but I was really happy with the audio processing of the unit I have gotten ahold of.

Mr Peabody
07-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Which processor do you have?

notafulldeck
07-14-2007, 07:44 PM
Myryad MDP-500 generation 6 - expecting it any day now - putting most of my system together from used pieces I find on the net. Thought it had good potential for the $. I like to research the reviews of the pieces I come across. Finally have a house I can set up in. Been focusing so far on HT, but as I get more into it will put more effort into checking to see that my choices are reasonably good for 2-channel as well (my main focus will always be movies though). What do you use for audio proc?

Mr Peabody
07-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't know much about Myryad. I'll have to look them up

For HT I have a Primare 31.7 preamp processor into a LINN 5125 Class D power amp. I have Contour t2.5 mains with the matching t2.1 center, Audience 52's rear and a Velodyan SPL-1200 sub.

pixelthis
07-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Wellcome notafulldeck, and you might want to listen to mr p.
He's especially right in this case, get your stuff as modular as you can
I have a 1200 dollar receiver and only use it for the amps and processors.
If you're bummed about having to change the tv and the input on your audio side
any decent universal remote will do that for you with something called marcos.
Programmed right it will switch your audio and your tv.