need alot with little money (long) [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : need alot with little money (long)

Tarheel_
07-13-2007, 11:19 AM
my father-in-law is building his dream house and watches a ton of older Westerns and movies in general. He's no where close to being an audiophile, but after visiting my HT over the years he's agreed to a 5.1 setup.
Money is tight however and i'm trying to do the best i can without spending more than he needs. TV is a 32" CRT old school. Room is open and about 14x18x8.
Here's what i've done and need:
- pre-wired the surrounds for ceiling speakers and a pair of deck speakers (also ceiling type)

Now, he has a set of Bose 201 Series IV that he received for free and they are unused. However, the Bose center for these SUCK! So, i need a center, sub and AVR receiver. He has a DVD player.
Since he watches alot of older Western shows and movies (black and white), he needs PLII.
I'm considering a low budget AVR and a separate speaker selector for the deck pair. Or, should i consider a 7.1 and use a second zone?
Keep in mind he's not technically sound, so i need a super simple setup and min. remote strokes.
Budget is as cheap as possible. Looking at Dayton ceiling speakers for $40/pair.

kexodusc
07-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Hey Tarheel - those Dayton's aren't all that bad actually if that's the way you go.

May I ask, what is the budget?

pixelthis
07-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Fluance avertises on this site and has rediculously low prices on speakers, dont know how good they are though( 299 for a complete set without the sub)
I do know axioms are great, a friend has a pair.
To be honest, the person you're buying this for isnt that discerning, so you dont need a huge deal, in fact a quality HTIB might be the ticket, simple to use and quality at a decent price, everything would match, and the smaller speakers could mount on the wall by a flatscreen
Any brand these days has inexpensive receivers, sherwood, yamaha, onkyo.
Nad is simple to use also.
But whatever get rid of the bose, or put them on sattelite duty where listening isnt critical
BTY klipsch has a line of inexpensive subs that sound great (I have one) people tend not to think of this brand for subs but mine is really tight and works well

Blue Meanie
07-17-2007, 02:55 PM
...Since he watches alot of older Western shows and movies (black and white), he needs PLII.

Only a wild guess, but I would assume that pretty much every new A/V receiver has DPLII. But if his older western shows and movies were recorded with MONO sound (most probably were), I'm thinking that DPLII won't help those. I THINK that DPLII requires a STEREO signal.

Jeff

Tarheel_
07-17-2007, 03:11 PM
He really has not given me a figure on budget, but i know he'll want to stay below $300 max. I'm not sure i can make it happen for that figure. The Dayton center and 2 pair of ceiling speaker are $119.
Plus, he needs an AVR and a sub....i may go with a Pioneer VSX-517 for $178 at parts express and give him a sub as a move in present. (I have a 10" Dahlquist with a bum amp). May get an amp and hand it over.
Thought about the satelite system, but his room is too big and the Bose, as bad as they are, are larger and should move some sound. Hope the Dayton is a good fit. He probably will not know either way.
thanks guys!

jocko_nc
07-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I have never been disappointed with the Dayton stuff... particularly considering the price.

Tom Vodhanel
07-21-2007, 03:41 PM
JBL has a couple of HTiB systems that can be found in the $300 range now. It should do the trick for him. Another option might be to go with a $150-175 receiver now...and three decent speakers up front? This way you should be able to "timbre" match the front three relatively well...and he can move the bose speakers to the rear and use them as surrounds?

Tom V.
SVS

Grandpaw
07-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I would take a look at Sams Warehouse for a HTIB. You should be able to get everything you need for less than $300.00, Jeff

Grandpaw
07-22-2007, 05:25 AM
I would take a look at Sams Warehouse for a HTIB. You should be able to get everything you need for less than $300.00, Jeff

I would like to add that for thirty some years I have used my Nikon F 35mm cameras to take pictures with and are very pleased with the results I get with them but over the years I have known friends that have used Instamatic's and throw away cameras that have enjoyed taking pictures just as much as I have.

I my opinion not everyone needs to spend lots of money on a hobby or interest to get a great deal of enjoyment out of it. I have spent thousands on my stereo and my wife is just as happy listening to music on her $29.95 radio, Jeff

pixelthis
07-22-2007, 11:47 PM
I would like to add that for thirty some years I have used my Nikon F 35mm cameras to take pictures with and are very pleased with the results I get with them but over the years I have known friends that have used Instamatic's and throw away cameras that have enjoyed taking pictures just as much as I have.

I my opinion not everyone needs to spend lots of money on a hobby or interest to get a great deal of enjoyment out of it. I have spent thousands on my stereo and my wife is just as happy listening to music on her $29.95 radio, Jeff
AMEN
Sherwood makes a great little receiver, and harmon has some too
I practically gave a yammy rxv-750 to a friend, he gave it back, was too "complicated"
got a sony HTIB, sounds pertinet here:6:

Grandpaw
07-27-2007, 10:37 AM
Well Tarheel, what did you end up deciding on for your father-n-law? Inquiring minds want to know? Jeff

SlumpBuster
07-27-2007, 12:27 PM
I'll buck a trend here: The Bose aren't that bad. Sure they would never show up as a recommendation, but he already has them and, most importantly, they have gone unused. That is important because I bet that he will love them once they are hooked up and he actually hears them. You have to remember, the Bose 201 is better than what 99% of regular people have.

Also, to pick up a topic from another thread, do you really need a center right now? With all the settings on a modern AVR and the fact that he is watching older movies, he may equally enjoy a "phantom center" setting, especially if it is just him watching.

Finally, having been through this with my mother and in-laws, verify that they will even enjoy a sub-woofer. It has been my experience that some older folks (not Grandpaw of course :D) find a sub unpleasant. My mother wouldn't let me put a real sub in her house, but enjoyed two high quality Infinity bookshelves could do for her movies.

Tarheel_
01-14-2010, 10:21 AM
Well Tarheel, what did you end up deciding on for your father-n-law? Inquiring minds want to know? Jeff

bringing this thread back from the dead, but figure anyone can use some good cheap HT advise/opinion.

Here is what we ended up with.....used his 2 Bose bookshelf 201s. Added a small Dayton center channel. Placed 2 Dayton in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds. We then purchased an inexpensive Yamaha AVR and 10" JBL sub from Vanns.com. We also added 2 Dayton ceiling speakers on his deck and powered them through the zone 2 on the Yammie.

Sound wise = awesome. The quality/sound of the Daytons are incredible. I use these same speakers throughout my house and placed them in my walls. They sound much more expensive. The only letdown is the Yamaha. Not for sound, but the remote is confusing and they struggle with it.

Overall we built a nice 5.1 system with 2 outdoor speakers for little cost and the sound is great! Just proves you don't need to spend a lot for a nice HT system.

pixelthis
01-14-2010, 11:57 AM
bringing this thread back from the dead, but figure anyone can use some good cheap HT advise/opinion.

Here is what we ended up with.....used his 2 Bose bookshelf 201s. Added a small Dayton center channel. Placed 2 Dayton in-ceiling speakers for the surrounds. We then purchased an inexpensive Yamaha AVR and 10" JBL sub from Vanns.com. We also added 2 Dayton ceiling speakers on his deck and powered them through the zone 2 on the Yammie.

Sound wise = awesome. The quality/sound of the Daytons are incredible. I use these same speakers throughout my house and placed them in my walls. They sound much more expensive. The only letdown is the Yamaha. Not for sound, but the remote is confusing and they struggle with it.

Overall we built a nice 5.1 system with 2 outdoor speakers for little cost and the sound is great! Just proves you don't need to spend a lot for a nice HT system.

Yeu don't need to spend a lot on a home entertainment system.
The definition of a HT is unsure, but a lot who claim a "ht" are really just fooling themselves,
probably myself included.
I like to say I have a audio system adapted for HT use.
Anyway I am glad it worked out for you, although if hes anything like my dad
an inexpensive HTIB would have probably served the purpose.
Not dissing what you did, but a 32" crt is not the center of a HT serious or otherwise,
even when 32" crt ruled the universe.
SEMANTICS?
Mabey, but not every "ninja" bike is a Daytona racer, all I m saying.:1:

Tarheel_
01-14-2010, 05:45 PM
Yeu don't need to spend a lot on a home entertainment system.
The definition of a HT is unsure, but a lot who claim a "ht" are really just fooling themselves,
probably myself included.
I like to say I have a audio system adapted for HT use.
Anyway I am glad it worked out for you, although if hes anything like my dad
an inexpensive HTIB would have probably served the purpose.
Not dissing what you did, but a 32" crt is not the center of a HT serious or otherwise,
even when 32" crt ruled the universe.
SEMANTICS?
Mabey, but not every "ninja" bike is a Daytona racer, all I m saying.:1:

yeah, a HTIB would have done the job, but using this setup the rear and outdoor speakers disappear and give it a clean look.

frenchmon
01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey tarheel...you down in Chapel hill?

frenchmon

pixelthis
01-15-2010, 12:31 PM
yeah, a HTIB would have done the job, but using this setup the rear and outdoor speakers disappear and give it a clean look.

Well, glad it worked out for you.
I have old parents and can relate. Nice you want to help em out.
Old farts are completely clueless about tech, as a rule, god bless em.:1:

Worf101
01-16-2010, 01:22 PM
My parents are long gone, but I've a recently divorced buddy I'll be doing this very same thing for in about a weeks times. I've an old Onkyo receiver I'll be letting him have along with some rears... Paying it forward I suppose.

Worf

pixelthis
01-17-2010, 08:18 AM
My parents are long gone, but I've a recently divorced buddy I'll be doing this very same thing for in about a weeks times. I've an old Onkyo receiver I'll be letting him have along with some rears... Paying it forward I suppose.

Worf

YEAH, great to get some use out of obsolete but still usable gear.
My receiver went to my brother, my Sony BLU player to a friend.:1:

Tarheel_
01-17-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey tarheel...you down in Chapel hill?

frenchmon

not far from there...near the VA/NC border at Hyco Lake.

Tarheel_
01-17-2010, 12:39 PM

Worf

A great way to pass on unused gear and let others enjoy. I've done about 5 HTs for friends and family.

Be cool to start a list on the best 'budget' gear we've used or installed for folks.

my list would start with
- Dayton ceiling speakers ($40 pair and they are wonderful sounding but do lack bass)
- Klipsch Quintet speaker system (about $500 for 5 speakers and they sound great)
- Sherwood receivers (inexpensive, but the few i've owned sound audiophile-like)
- monoprice.com (saved me and others tons of cash!!!) Love this site.