Speaker help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker help

bubu
07-12-2007, 01:38 AM
:0: Hi i am new to this forum, i have a Yamaha RXV-2095 (for HT) a Carver CM-1040 (for 2 channel music only), plus Def tech's BP6b for the fronts and a Marantz DVD DV 4200, i wanted suggestions for the rears, centre, was initially thinking of the pro 1000's for the rear, the c2 for the centre, but now also thinking of the anthony gallo's micro ti's for the rears and the centre, yes i still haven't decided on the sub though i did have for a short time the velodyne cht-12, too powerful for the house and underworked hence had to sell them. Please help\me suggest which should be better or some other brands which would work with this set up, yes i also know the def tech's differ in terms power handling from the micro ti's. please help.....

kelsci
07-12-2007, 09:56 AM
Why not stick to the whole brand of definitve?
http://www.definitivetech.com/reviews/BP6BDVD7804.pdf

Your Yamaha 2095 is something I am more familiar with. If you can live without Dolby Pro-Logic 2, stay with this receiver. Its sound quality plus Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 processing is superb.

Looking at the link that I supplied on the definitve system. with a 2095 receiver, I would use the center and surrounds but I would make the sub an option. The 2095 has a marvelous bass boost feature so as such, using that 5 speaker system, I would set the bass boost to ON and set my bass management to LARGE for the two main speakers and SMALL to the center and surrounds. My brother did that set-up with two NHT SUPERTWOs and three NHT superzeros which resulted in rather outstanding sound quality.

markw
07-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Try to keep at least the front three of the same make/model. Virtually every speaker manufacturer offers a dedicated center channel to match their other speakers.

This assures a uniform sound across the front soundstage.

For HT, you can scrimp and use different speakers but for MC music, you would be better off matching these to the fronts as well. Movies generally use the surrounds for effects, noises and the like. With music, you most likely would want the same sound characteristics to envelop you.

bobsticks
07-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Try to keep at least the front three of the same make/model. Virtually every speaker manufacturer offers a dedicated center channel to match their other speakers.

This assures a uniform sound across the front soundstage.

For HT, you can scrimp and use different speakers but for MC music, you would be better off matching these to the fronts as well. Movies generally use the surrounds for effects, noises and the like. With music, you most likely would want the same sound characteristics to envelop you.

Absolutely, without a doubt, the best advice.

Mr Peabody
07-12-2007, 07:09 PM
Welcome to the forum, and to make it yunannimus-mus, Ideally, what they said, your center and mains should match.

pixelthis
07-12-2007, 11:45 PM
I have noticed that a lot of stores that carry yamaha also carry def-techs
They are a good speaker but buying your speakers because they are at the same place you bought your other gear isnt good.
Def-techs are good for HT but for the discerning ear I would have a more refined speaker
in the front left and right, just my taste, I find the tweeters on def's a little too, ah, intense