Finally....thye day is nigh. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Finally....thye day is nigh.

Ex Lion Tamer
07-11-2007, 07:58 PM
After about 8 years of hoping, tomorrow I get to see Built to Spill. After all this time I probably can't help but be disappointed (always have been a glass-half-full kinda guy). Anybody ever seen them on this or any previous tour?

I'll try to post a brief but insightful report at some point in the future.

Swish
07-12-2007, 03:08 AM
After about 8 years of hoping, tomorrow I get to see Built to Spill. After all this time I probably can't help but be disappointed (always have been a glass-half-full kinda guy). Anybody ever seen them on this or any previous tour?

I'll try to post a brief but insightful report at some point in the future.

It was a Tuesday night and I was exhausted and too busy to go, but I will be seeing Pete Yorn on the 24th. Really sorry I missed BTS though.

Swish

ForeverAutumn
07-12-2007, 04:58 AM
It was a Tuesday night and I was exhausted and too busy to go, but I will be seeing Pete Yorn on the 24th. Really sorry I missed BTS though.

Swish

How about a quick review on the Pete Yorn show afterwards? He's opening for Crowded House when we see them in August. I'm actually quite excited to see him.

Ex Lion Tamer, I hope you enjoy the BTS show. It's always sweet when you finally get to see a band that you've been yearning to see.

3-LockBox
07-12-2007, 08:02 AM
Is it the full band or is it just Martsch with a guitar?

I've come to like their last release, You In Reverse, after living with it for a while, deciding that it wasn't too indie for me to enjoy.

Rae
07-12-2007, 12:40 PM
I've seen them numerous times, although not recently. Still, I doubt you'll be disappointed. Enjoy the guitarmonies!

~Rae

Ex Lion Tamer
07-12-2007, 08:51 PM
Well disappointed I was not.

To answer 3-Lock's question, it was the full band, not just Doug, and one thing I found very interesting is that of the three guitarist (and for that matter the bass player too), there was not one guitar change throughout the whole, almost 2-hour set.

Though not what I'd coinsider ultimate showmen, they put on a good show with a very good set that included many favorites from old and newer albums, all played competently, with nice feel and a few wrinkles thrown in to keep things interesting. Couple of glaring ommissions, but with a band that has so many good songs and has been so consistent for so long, there is always going to be songs that you wish they played. But come on, no "I Would Hurt a Fly"? And the encore was a little off-putting too, they played a good song, can't recall which one right now, and extended it with ten or so minutes of guitar noodling. Would have much rather they taken those ten minutes to play another song or two.

Anyway, don't want to dwell on the negative. Good show, long overdue (actually it was their first show ever in Montreal, which Doug Martsch apologized for), in front of a small, but very enthusiastic crowd. Even the opening act was pretty good - someone called Attack in Black; who played a high energy set of good ole fashion guitar-centric rock & roll.

The same venue has Animal Collective coming up in September. I've never heard any of their music, but I know Monkey Bones likes them. Could anyone offer a RIYL list? Maybe I'll check them out and then check them out.....live.

Monkey Bones
07-14-2007, 09:56 AM
The same venue has Animal Collective coming up in September. I've never heard any of their music, but I know Monkey Bones likes them. Could anyone offer a RIYL list? Maybe I'll check them out and then check them out.....live.
Cool that you got to see them at last. I saw them once back in the 90s, seems like an eternity ago now, but I do recall it was kind of a mesmerizing show, if not exactly exciting in the concert sense. Nice guitar interplay.

No idea what Animal Collective would be like in person. They are both very talented guys, not sure how they tour. Maybe check out youtube to get a sense. Amazing resource. I do really like Sung Tongs, but that's all I have. Kind of a lo-fi mix of Eno and Brian Wilson, but I think pretty charming. Wrote a little about it back then ...

http://members.mailaka.net/davey/reviews.htm#Animal_Collective_Sung_Tongs

BTW, you probably have a copy of my Half Gone 2004 comp. If so, there's a couple songs from Sung Tongs on it.