Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga?

Mr MidFi
07-10-2007, 11:43 AM
Has anyone heard the new Spoon? I'm reading wildly conflicting reviews, from "their best ever!" to "so boring I wanted to kill myself".

ForeverAutumn
07-10-2007, 12:03 PM
I was planning on picking it up tonight, along with the new Crowded House.

I really hope that it doesn't make me wanna kill myself!!!

Finch Platte
07-10-2007, 01:27 PM
Has anyone heard the new Spoon? I'm reading wildly conflicting reviews, from "their best ever!" to "so boring I wanted to kill myself".

That's the way it is over at Obner, too. 1/2 of us couldn't give a sh!t, and the other 1/2 are drooling over themselves wanting to hear it. I've heard plennnnnty of Spoon, thank you. :Yawn:

fp

Slosh
07-10-2007, 02:42 PM
I have it and like it. It's more akin to Kill The Moonlight than anything else they've done. The bonus CD is virtually worthless but the main album is up to their usual high standards. Nice fidelity too, as I've come to expect from them.

Ex Lion Tamer
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM

I have it, like it, but overall Gimme Fiction is more better. Here's how I'd rank it in the Spoon oeuvre...

1. Girls Can Tell
2. A Series of Sneaks
3. Gimme Fiction
4. Ga Ga Ga Ga
5. Kill the Moonlight
6. Telephono

Swish
07-11-2007, 03:27 AM

...from DeepDiscountCD. I have to hand it to them as I just can't find consistently better pricing and selection anywhere else. Delivery can be slow at times, but I can get over that since I so much fresh music in my hands and can't seem to find enough time to get to everything I want to hear.

I read a few reviews that seem to back up what Slosh mentioned, so I have no problem ordering it without hearing even one note. Spoon gets a free pass from me anyhow.

Swish

Mr MidFi
07-11-2007, 06:48 AM
It's hard to form meaningful impressions from the 30-second samples you hear online...but I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing so far. So I'll pick it up at lunchtime.

Thanks for the feedback.

dean_martin
07-11-2007, 07:16 AM
It's hard to form meaningful impressions from the 30-second samples you hear online...but I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing so far. So I'll pick it up at lunchtime.

Thanks for the feedback.

I certainly agree with you on the 30 sec. samples. My only Spoon album is Gimme Fiction. I compared the 30 sec samples of Kill the Moonlight and Ga, Ga... and liked the Kill samples mo' bettah. "Kill" vinyl is on the way, but I'm following this thread with interest because some of you guys with most or all of the back catalog like the new one a little better than "Kill".

Mr MidFi
07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
I didn't really care for 'Kill' the first few times I listened to it, but it's definitely a grower. I like it almost as much as GF now, and that's high praise.

My main beef with Spoon albums is they're rather short...and it looks like 'Ga' doesn't buck the trend. But it's all good; concision instead of noodling, that's their thing.

ForeverAutumn
07-11-2007, 09:26 AM
The store was sold out!!!! Grrrrrrrrr.

Monkey Bones
07-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Just got it, but I love everything by Spoon. We may quibble about which one is best, and whether we like the straight ahead three minute stuff on the earlier ones better than the stretched out stuff on Gimme Fiction (and that was my only real complaint with that one, some of the songs just went on a bit too long and started to peter out), but Britt still writes some of the best pop songs around, and his band always keeps them moving. And I listened to the bonus disc first, and I really like it. Real bonus this time around. I love the more raw nature of the demos, and some of the jamhappiness, even if it does seem to conflict with what I just said above about going on too long, it depends on the song. But I may be a little out of touch with some of you in that regard, as evidenced by the responses in my Electrelane/PJ Harvey thread :)

BTW, did I already say that No Shouts No Calls is the record of the year right now? What a fun listen. Nice recording too, with lots of headroom to breathe.

Slosh
07-11-2007, 02:57 PM
Hmmm, I guess I'll have to listen to Get Nice! instead of dismissing it out of hand. I only kinda scanned through it so I actually haven't really listened to it yet. I'll definitely have to get Ga on vinyl as well. As good as the CD sounds I know the LP will sound better still based on my LP copies of Fiction and Moonlight. I think A Series Of Sneaks will always be my favorite Spoon album but they're all good to me and all a little different from each other. Oh, and Britt is currently my favorite rock vocalist. I bet that guy could sing phone book listings and make it sound interesting.

Oh, and if anyone wants a bit of a Ga sample download my Half Gone: 2007 comp a little further down the page. I believe the link is still active for a few more days.

NP: (the RAWK!)

Mr MidFi
07-12-2007, 07:34 AM
Well, I've listened twice now...and me likey. So there. Yeah, the songwriting and lyrics are up to their usual high standard, and Brit's vocals have never sounded better. And the sonics are excellent, too.

Haven't broken out the bonus tracks yet; I'll save them for the ride home tonight.

dean_martin
07-12-2007, 09:13 AM
noodling, that's their thing.

saw a film on noodling recently. i think i'll stick with a line and pole.

http://www.okienoodling.com/film/trailer.html

thanks for the insight. vinyl copy of "Kill" is supposed to be delivered today but we've got a new UPS driver for our area so who knows.

Monkey Bones
07-14-2007, 09:45 AM
Just saw that you can even get it at Best Buy for $9.99 now, or from the BB site with free shipping. Guess Spoon has made it to the indie big time. Hope they make a bunch of money from this, or at least enough to keep them from signing a major label deal. Some of you must be insensitive to heavy compression and clipping though to call this great sounding, cause it's way too loud. But typical of the last couple records from Spoon. Buy the LP if you can, cause the CD isn't mastered very well.

Been listening a ton to the new expanded reissue of Shearwater's Palo Santo, another bonus disc digi-pak package, but this one much, much nicer packaging than with Spoon. Missed hearing the original last year, but Matador picked them up and John Golden unfortunately remastered it with about a 6dB boost in compression so they could make it twice as loud, but the real story is that they went back and re-recorded some of it, and it is a great record, especially the parts that channel the epic Talk Talk Spirit of Eden, like on the amazing "Hail, Mary". Can tell this one is gonna be a favorite for quite awhile. Makes me think I should've opted for the double LP package .. especially since it is so cheap. Hmmm, maybe I will ...