Speaker positioning help [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Speaker positioning help

PAOGORMAN2001
07-10-2007, 05:39 AM
Need a little help here please
I have a space problem where my speakers have to be located. They are only about 4 ft apart. On the left one there is an armchair about 3" away from the side of the cabinet
I have pulled the speaker forward to (I hope) clear the chair. My question is should I tow the speakers in or let them fire straight out. I have a couch directly across from the speakers about 8 ft away. I'm trying to improve the sound stage
They are B&W 602 S3"s

Thanks Pete

kexodusc
07-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Need a little help here please
I have a space problem where my speakers have to be located. They are only about 4 ft apart. On the left one there is an armchair about 3" away from the side of the cabinet
I have pulled the speaker forward to (I hope) clear the chair. My question is should I tow the speakers in or let them fire straight out. I have a couch directly across from the speakers about 8 ft away. I'm trying to improve the sound stage
They are B&W 602 S3"s

Thanks Pete

4 feet separation at 8 ft distance isn't ideal of course. I'd probably point them straight ahead. You might even try toe-out (I've never tried this myself, but see it recommended occasionally for situations like yours). Trial and error...go with what sounds best to you.

basite
07-10-2007, 06:31 AM
try to sit closer,

about tow in: rivesaudio made a 'guide' to help you place your speakers
this might be helpful:
http://www.rivesaudio.com/resources/listening_room/frame.html

and read this too:
http://www.rivesaudio.com/files/spkr_plcmt.pdf

both of those were very helpful for me, it may take some time to read, but it's really helpful.

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

topspeed
07-10-2007, 09:12 AM
Most speaker manufacturer's, including B&W, have recommendations on how the speakers should be placed. Your speakers recommend at least 1.5m of separation for proper channel separation and, if needed, toe-in until they fire just in front of the listening postion. Yes, in front of your position.

That said, every room will have different acoustic qualities so it's really a matter of trial and error until you get the image locked in. There is no right or wrong, only what sounds right to you.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

audio_dude
07-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Yes, I know how you feel with space constraints and such, i've got the same problems.

my listening space is about the same as yours, I use Paradigm Mini-Monitors v.5
great speakers, and the work well in this enclosed space, but the bass is a bit muddy. that'll probably be fixed when i redo my room.