DVD Player question for Pioneer Elite 1140HD and Panasonic 77U.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : DVD Player question for Pioneer Elite 1140HD and Panasonic 77U..

MCF
07-09-2007, 06:08 PM
I have an Elite 1120HD Pioneer (50") in my living room with an old school Sony DVD player. I just ordered a 50" Pana 77U for the bedroom...both sets are 480p, 720p and 1080i. I know good old DVD's play at 480p (I believe)...are there any DVD players (non HD or Blu Ray) that will upconvert good old 480p DVD's to 720p or 1080i??? I should probably know this....I would like to move the good old Sony to the bedroom (no sound system, etc.) and get an 'upconverter' DVD Player (if exists) for the main living room with the Pioneer Elite 1120HD. thanks! BTW, the reason I went with the 1080i Panasonic is that I got it for a great price (below my established budget) and will be viewing it from at least 15 feet away (while in bed) so any benefit from 1080p would be lost at that distance with a 50" screen....but that is not what this thread is about....it's about DVD players.

elapsed
07-10-2007, 12:06 AM
The Pioneer Elite PRO-1120HD has a native resolution of 1280 x 768p. This means that all signals are scaled to this resolution. This set includes a PRO-R05U Media Receiver, with a very good video processor. This video processor will outperform the video processors found in most budget Upconverting DVD Players, so in most cases you would be best off finding a DVD player cable of outputting 480i, and let the Media Receiver perform the upconversion. A couple of excellent DVD players capable of 480i over HDMI are the Oppo 970 and Denon DVD-2930CI.

That being said, you may also want to consider purchasing a player with Silicon Optix HQV. This is an exceptional video processor, and you will almost certainly benefit from its upconversion and processing capabilities. Players available with Silicon Optix HQV are:

Samsung BD-P1200 (Reon-VX HQV), Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-XA2 (Reon-VX HQV), HD DVD
Denon DVD-2930CI (Reon-VX HQV)
Denon DVD-3930CI (Realta HQV)
Denon DVD-5910CI (Realta HQV)

The Denon DVD-3930 shares the Realta HQV chip found in the flagship DVD-5910. These are the undisputed champions of the consumer market for DVD video playback. But seeing as the market is shifting towards HD, I would probably lean towards purchasing the Toshiba HD-XA2, which has a superb video processor in its own right (the Reon-VX HQV). If you plan on waiting out the HD wars, I would probably lean towards the Oppo 970, output at 480i, and let the Pioneer Media Receiver perform the upconversion.

Another option would be to purchase an outboard video processor. I had the opportunity to audition a Denon DVD-2930CI at 480i, with a DVDO iScan VP50, and was absolutely floored by the picture quality. This combination can easily hold its own against HD.

MCF
07-10-2007, 04:46 AM
The Pioneer Elite PRO-1120HD has a native resolution of 1280 x 768p. This means that all signals are scaled to this resolution. This set includes a PRO-R05U Media Receiver, with a very good video processor. This video processor will outperform the video processors found in most budget Upconverting DVD Players, so in most cases you would be best off finding a DVD player cable of outputting 480i, and let the Media Receiver perform the upconversion. A couple of excellent DVD players capable of 480i over HDMI are the Oppo 970 and Denon DVD-2930CI.

That being said, you may also want to consider purchasing a player with Silicon Optix HQV. This is an exceptional video processor, and you will almost certainly benefit from its upconversion and processing capabilities. Players available with Silicon Optix HQV are:

Samsung BD-P1200 (Reon-VX HQV), Blu-Ray
Toshiba HD-XA2 (Reon-VX HQV), HD DVD
Denon DVD-2930CI (Reon-VX HQV)
Denon DVD-3930CI (Realta HQV)
Denon DVD-5910CI (Realta HQV)

The Denon DVD-3930 shares the Realta HQV chip found in the flagship DVD-5910. These are the undisputed champions of the consumer market for DVD video playback. But seeing as the market is shifting towards HD, I would probably lean towards purchasing the Toshiba HD-XA2, which has a superb video processor in its own right (the Reon-VX HQV). If you plan on waiting out the HD wars, I would probably lean towards the Oppo 970, output at 480i, and let the Pioneer Media Receiver perform the upconversion.

Another option would be to purchase an outboard video processor. I had the opportunity to audition a Denon DVD-2930CI at 480i, with a DVDO iScan VP50, and was absolutely floored by the picture quality. This combination can easily hold its own against HD.

Thanks!! Since the Pioneer does such a good job of processing, perhaps leave the 'old school' Sony player with it and get one of the 'good' players for the Panasonic 77U? Any thoughts?

elapsed
07-10-2007, 04:53 AM
If it were me I would purchase a new HD Player for the Pioneer in the living room, to make the most of this wonderful display. I would then move the Sony to the bedroom, or replace this player altogether with an Oppo.

MCF
07-10-2007, 10:02 AM
If it were me I would purchase a new HD Player for the Pioneer in the living room, to make the most of this wonderful display. I would then move the Sony to the bedroom, or replace this player altogether with an Oppo.

At $600, the 2930CI would be the best I could swing at this time.....so with the Pioneer, would I set the 2930CI to 1080p and let r rip? Also, I assume only connections necessary would be HDMI from player to Pioneer 'brains' and optical from DVD player to HK reciever? Will I get the same benefit if I run component cable from DVD player to Pioneer 'brain'?

Also, I have a Pro 1120HD, not the 1140HD...does that change your recommendation(s) any?

Also, I assume the 2930CI will NOT be able to play any Blu Ray or HD DVD's, correct? My concern is that in two years from now, stores will only be carrying them (or one or the other).

elapsed
07-10-2007, 10:26 AM
The DVD-2930CI is an excellent choice, and can certainly hold you through for a few years until going HD. See this review: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/08/denon_dvd2930ci.html

You are correct, connect HDMI to the Media Receiver, and Optical Audio to the HK. If however you wish to play SACD, then you will also want to connect the analogue 5.1 outputs. Also if the DAC's in the DVD-2930CI are superior to those in the HK then you could potentially achieve superior audio by using the 5.1 analogue outputs for DVD playback. What model HK do you own?

As for future concerns, that is correct the DVD-2930CI will not play Blu-Ray for HD DVD. That being said, I believe that DVD's will be on the shelves for many, many years to come. The HD market is currently a minute fraction of the overall market, and will be for some time. It's even a high potential that HD will fail altogether, as we saw with SACD and DVD-Audio.

MCF
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
The DVD-2930CI is an excellent choice, and can certainly hold you through for a few years until going HD. See this review: http://www.hometheaterblog.com/hometheater/2006/08/denon_dvd2930ci.html

You are correct, connect HDMI to the Media Receiver, and Optical Audio to the HK. If however you wish to play SACD, then you will also want to connect the analogue 5.1 outputs. Also if the DAC's in the DVD-2930CI are superior to those in the HK then you could potentially achieve superior audio by using the 5.1 analogue outputs for DVD playback. What model HK do you own?

As for future concerns, that is correct the DVD-2930CI will not play Blu-Ray for HD DVD. That being said, I believe that DVD's will be on the shelves for many, many years to come. The HD market is currently a minute fraction of the overall market, and will be for some time. It's even a high potential that HD will fail altogether, as we saw with SACD and DVD-Audio.

IT's an older HK....AVR-635. All I really do with the system is watch tv, high definition broadcasts and watch DVD's...I occasionally listen to digital music channels. Is there a DVD player that does the same quality of picture and upscaling as the 2930CI without all the 'fluff'...I won't be playing CD's through it (and if I do, it will be just blaring type playing to show off my SVS PB12 Plus) and I don't care about SACD, etc. etc....just want a DVD player that upscales the pic. Thanks!!!