Testing the digital audio output [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Testing the digital audio output

mpm32
11-20-2003, 05:56 AM
Hi,

I have a Scientific Atlantic digital cable box and would like to use the digital audio out to go into my new Yamaha RX-V1400. When connected, I am not getting any output from the jack. I tried my upstairs box and got the same result. The analog RCAs work fine. I was also sure to enable the digital out in the box's setup menu.

I have a multimeter. Is there a way I could measure the output of the jack? How, and what readings would I expect if it was working? And, what readings should I expect if it's not?

Thanks,

Mark

Jim Clark
11-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Hi,

I was also sure to enable the digital out in the box's setup menu.

Mark

Did you also make sure that you assigned that digital input on your receiver via the onscreen menu? If you didn't that would explain why you aren't getting sound. Since you mention only that you enabled the box I'm thinking that this may be the problem.

Also, if we're talking about digital cable you will need to keep the analog connections as well or you will only get sound from the digital tier stations. More than likely you already know this but I mention this only to make sure.

Sorry I can't help you on testing the digital output on the cable box.

poneal
11-20-2003, 06:51 AM
I agree with the previous poster. I have forgotten many times to switch both units to digital.

mpm32
11-20-2003, 06:59 AM
I did make sure the input was assigned and I even tested it with the output from my DVD player. However, I did not think about some channels being digital and others being sent analog. Interesting. My reciever tells me if the audio signal it's receiving is analog or digital. I will try hooking up both the RCA and coax digital outs tonight and start flipping channels to see which are dig and which are analog.

Thanks Jim and poneal.

This forum is great.

I still would like to learn how to test the outputs with a multimeter. Time for more reasearch.

Worf101
11-20-2003, 09:59 AM
No, currently on my set top box only the HBO channels are broadcast in DD 5.1 and that's only occaissionally. Movies like Spiderman, original show's like Carnivale or the Sopranos, other than that most channels are broadcasting in standard stereo.... :(

Sorry but that's the way it is.

Da Worfster