Take THAT, Jack! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Take THAT, Jack!

markw
07-08-2007, 05:01 AM
In the NYC metro area, 101.1 FM was a thriving, well loved oldies station up until three years ago when Jack usurped that frequency. It looks like the oldies may be on the way back.

http://www.comcast.net/entertainment/index.jsp?cat=ENTERTAINMENT&fn=/2007/07/07/708954.html

Let the good times roll... again.

westcott
07-08-2007, 07:17 AM
What's FM?

Rock&Roll Ninja
07-08-2007, 08:44 AM
Its the thingy that comes standard on cheap American cars.

westcott
07-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Its the thingy that comes standard on cheap American cars.

You mean that round thing in the trunk that looks like a tire for Micky Mouse's car?

markw
07-08-2007, 08:56 AM
No internet needed, no subseription or payment needed, great sound, and great variety if you don't live in the sticks.

Resident Loser
07-09-2007, 06:13 AM
No internet needed, no subseription or payment needed, great sound, and great variety if you don't live in the sticks.

...I missed it...you would think there would be more variety in the Big Apple area, not less...maybe some classic rock not aimed at the "Yo!" crowd, perhaps a bit more intelligent like 102.7 WNEW-FM used to be...some C&W...I mean there's really only one classical station and NPR doesn't really count IMO...Some real classic jazz, not that CD101 fluff...some of the best and most diverse stuff comes on the college stations way down the low end of the band...

My wife read in the Sunday Times Cousin' Brucie still has his contract on Sirius, but he's leaving his options open when it does expire...

jimHJJ(...not like I'm a big fan of Bruce Morrow or anything...)

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2007, 06:50 AM
Count your blessings guys. Texas Radio ain't the big beat! The two rock stations here in the D/FW area, one plays classic rock and one plays this new progressive whateveritis, each have 10 song music libraries and that's it. I usually only listen to the classic rock station on my way to work but by Wednesday I've had enough of the redundancy and end up just listening to my 60's era muscle car sounding exhaust note.

The folks in the philly area IMO have the best station for old rock-n-rollers as well as the youngin's in 93.3 WMMR. They started the "album oriented" format on the east coast way back in the late 60's (don't quote me on that), and little has changed. They're lucky. In the house it's XM 40 for me. I think it's called Deep Tracks, but they pretty much mirror what MMR did with the artist selections and the little factoids they interject between tracks. Sound quality? Well, that's a different story... you know how that goes.

Luvin Da Blues
07-09-2007, 05:05 PM
. I usually only listen to the classic rock station on my way to work but by Wednesday I've had enough of the redundancy and end up just listening to my 60's era muscle car sounding exhaust note.

Hey Rich, being a car guy to, gotta ask what your ride is and whats been done and gunna be done to it. :thumbsup:

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Okay to change the subject markw? :biggrin5:

Resident Loser
07-10-2007, 03:58 AM
...a related topic...Well Mark, it looks as though the promise of a blast from the past has been reduced to a flea ph@rt...It seems that CBS, in it's corporate wisdom, has deemed "oldies" to be music from the 80s...at least according to one bubble-brained, talking head from one of the the eyewitless news teams...

SPEE-IT! Was there even music in the 80s? I think it was around that period "rock" and it's purveyors started to lose any meaning for me and I began listening to listen to some C&W stuff because it sounded more like bare-bones,early rock/R&B...then, of course, that achey-breakey dolt came along an Voila! Country cr@pola...

jimHJJ(...oh well, there's always multi-disc CD sets touted on infomercials...)

Rich-n-Texas
07-10-2007, 05:02 AM
Hey Rich, being a car guy to, gotta ask what your ride is and whats been done and gunna be done to it. :thumbsup:
LDB & anyone else interested, go here:

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=197763#post197763