HDTV, Direct TV, DVD & A/V Receiver connections [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : HDTV, Direct TV, DVD & A/V Receiver connections

Ace H
07-07-2007, 09:52 AM
A friend has a Pioneer PDP 4361 HD TV. TV will be connected to Direct TV, a DVD Player and A/V receiver. Manual says to connect the Cable Box (in this case Direct TV) to the INPUT 1 terminals on the "Media Receiver" (which comes with the TV). Manual also says when connecting a DVD PLAYER use INPUT 1.

Should the connections be as follows:

1. Connect Direct TV to INPUT 1 on the "Media Receiver" (which comes with the TV).
2. Connect the DVD Player to INPUT1 terminals on the Direct TV box.
3. Connect the OPTICAL audio cable from the "Media Receiver" to the A/V receiver.
4. Connect Subwoofer to Sub Out on A/V receiver.

NOTE: Appropriate video cables will be connected to INPUT 1 also.

I will do the connections sometime Monday. I have no idea what the back of the Direct TV box is like at this time as I have Cable in my home.

markw
07-09-2007, 04:46 AM
You want to run a DVD player thru a Direct TV box? nteresting configuration, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I see you list a regular HT receiver. Why can't you just run the source's (STB and DVD) video and audio outputs directly to it, and run the video to the TV? That way you use the receiver for all switching.

Or, for a more direct video connection, run the video directly to the TV and the audio to the HT receiver, thereby using the TV for video switching and the receiver for audio switching?

But, as usual, YMMV.