Your Video/Audio movie setup. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Your Video/Audio movie setup.

Smokey
07-06-2007, 05:09 PM
I thought it might be appropriate to start a thread about type of TV and audio components we use to mainly watch movies. Please no show off :ciappa:

Since my A/V set up is in the computer room, kept it simple:

32 inch non-HD sharp CRT TV.
Panasonic Receiver
Athens Speakers/surround
10 inch RCA Subwoofer

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 06:31 PM
See sig Smokey. :biggrin5:

markw
07-06-2007, 07:38 PM
See link in my sig line, particularly the lower half.

On addition though, The library/guest room now boasts a 32" Toshiba LCD with comcast HDTV. Yeah, I know, but the living room needs a bigger TV, which is a bit out of the budget for now. Maybe when we move to Texas in two years...

Smokey
07-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Saved you all some typing, didn't I :D

Nice setup guys. Would a HD player be added to those lists soon :ihih:

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 08:00 PM
See link in my sig line, particularly the lower half.

Already did, then had an orgasm. :o

On addition though, The library/guest room now boasts a 32" Toshiba LCD with comcast HDTV. Yeah, I know, but the living room needs a bigger TV, which is a bit out of the budget for now.
Congrats on the addition Mark. :thumbsup:
DLP's are making advancements while remaining very affordable.

Maybe when we move to Texas in two years...
My offer stands. By then I'm sure my setup'll be worthy... :biggrin5:

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 08:07 PM
Saved you all some typing, didn't I :D

Nice setup guys. Would a HD player be added to those lists soon :ihih:
Smokey, those smilies seem rather ordinary. :ciappa:

I was giving the Oppo HD player serious thought, but with what I've been reading recently about the Panasonic Blue Ray player, I've decided to park that train of thought.

L.J.
07-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Same here......check my sig. I have all the details listed below the pic. Only change is that I'm currently using the Onkyo 805 AVR.

Groundbeef
07-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Pioneer 50" plasma
Pioneer AV reciever
Xbox 360 HD DVD addon drive for movie playback
DirecTV for regular TV
Tivo for recording TV

Rock&Roll Ninja
07-08-2007, 09:11 AM
Still running the old Pioneer AVR. Been waiting for this crop of 1.3 receivers for almost 3 years! (obvious I didn't know exact models but it was a "I'm not buying another AVR until I can get A+B+C in one box" scenario.)

musicman1999
07-08-2007, 03:46 PM
See below,add DVD of choice,popcorn and turn out lights.

bill

kexodusc
07-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I use a Yamaha HTR-5890 avr connected to 3 power amps - 2 Adcom GFA-535II's , one Rotel RB-980. Source component is a Toshiba DVD player.

There's 7 DIY speakers, 2 DIY 15" subs. 6 speakers are identical, the center channel is the exception, though it uses the same drivers. I voice matched it to the others.

I've got the room treated with a bunch of DIY panels that look just like LJ's pics on his link, some Auralex and Sonotech acoustic foam, and some generic acoustic foam that seems to be about the same. Wife really doesn't like the acoustic foam though, going to have to build more panels. Apparently burgundy isn't a good color for that room....now what am I gonna do with 300 sq feet of foam? :confused5:

Kam
07-09-2007, 08:20 AM
i'd just like to add that i had a touch of help in guiding GM to the wonderful system he now has in place. :)

mine:
NHT 3.3
NHT 2.5
NHT AC2
Marantz SR18ex
Parasound HCA2200
Parasound HCA2200 (soon to be on the way)
Aragon 2004
Sanyo Z3
Sony HDMI Dvd Player (i forget the model)

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2007, 09:27 AM
Apparently burgundy isn't a good color for that room....now what am I gonna do with 300 sq feet of foam? :confused5:
Uuuuh... WHAT?! You have 300 sq ft of burgundy (same color as my car & old pool table) acoustic foam that needs a home? What thickness is it? Good for reflections? Want to sell me some? How much per sq foot? Inquiring minds want to know! :)

GMichael
07-09-2007, 09:39 AM
i'd just like to add that i had a touch of help in guiding GM to the wonderful system he now has in place. :)

Yes you did sir. Thanks for the great review on the Sanyo projector. It was very helpful.

(main system)
Yamaha RX-V2500
Infinity Primus 360 mains, 150 surrounds & rears, C25 center,
15" TITANIC MKIII sub,
JVC DR-MX1 DVR,
SA 8300HD,
Sanyo Z4 720p projector,
Saaria 16:9 Screen 106"

(bedroom system)
Yammy HTR-5740,
Yammy 5 disc DVD,
JBL E20 mains, center & rear, E10 surrounds,
PS-12 sub,
SA 8300HD,
Sanyo Z4 720p projector,
Electric Screen HDTV 92" W/Remote

kexodusc
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
Uuuuh... WHAT?! You have 300 sq ft of burgundy (same color as my car & old pool table) acoustic foam that needs a home? What thickness is it? Good for reflections? Want to sell me some? How much per sq foot? Inquiring minds want to know! :)
Mostly 2 " stuff, some 4". I'd send it to you, but honestly, it'd probably be more cost effective for you to buy the stuff yourself. I can't vacuum press it down to super compressed size to fit in a small enough package, and shipping in a bigger box becomes expensive.
I'll probably find a local home for it, or use it for speaker projects in the meantime.

L.J.
07-09-2007, 10:34 AM
2 DIY 15" subs

Drooooooooooooooooooooooooooool :ciappa:

kexodusc
07-09-2007, 10:59 AM
LOL!
Other than a slight improvement in the in-room frequency response , I now believe this to be overkill. My room is 20' wide by 22' long (24 in one spot).I don't really notice much audible improvement. There's a cool factor I suppose.
I found a sub amp for cheap from MCM electronics, and then PE put my woofer on deal of the day..what can I say? I'm weak.

I would suggest you're better off buying a better sub than going to 2.

Anyway...the long term plan is to go IB an do away with the 2 big boxes anyway...

GMichael
07-09-2007, 11:12 AM

Oh, just pick up another MKIII (15) and be done with it.

JSE
07-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Mark,

Is Sound Dynamics still around? I listened to a full range tower years ago in Dallas and fell in love. Money was short at the time so I went back several months later and they were history. I think the speaker I was considering was a P-100 or 1000 somthing? They had built in subs. I wish I could find that speaker now. If I remember correctly, they were out of Australia but were owned by the company who owns Mirage and Energy. Great speakers!

JSE

L.J.
07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
Oh, just pick up another MKIII (15) and be done with it.

Nope, just not enough room. The one I have is plenty enough. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that though.

It's still just so freakin' cool to say "2 15" subs".

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2007, 11:57 AM
Mostly 2 " stuff, some 4". I'd send it to you, but honestly, it'd probably be more cost effective for you to buy the stuff yourself. I can't vacuum press it down to super compressed size to fit in a small enough package, and shipping in a bigger box becomes expensive.
I'll probably find a local home for it, or use it for speaker projects in the meantime.
You could always bring some of it to the party.:confused:

Anyway, I'll fire up the credit card and get on the phone with ATS.

GMichael
07-09-2007, 11:59 AM
Nope, just not enough room. The one I have is plenty enough. I'm sure I don't have to tell you that though.

It's still just so freakin' cool to say "2 15" subs".

How would you feel about 2 18: subs mounted into your ceiling?

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2007, 12:01 PM
If you're offering to help someone install subs in their ceiling GM, come over to my house first. I already have one hole cut!

GMichael
07-09-2007, 12:05 PM
If you're offering to help someone install subs in their ceiling GM, come over to my house first. I already have one hole cut!

How big? What do you plan to stick in it?

L.J.
07-09-2007, 12:10 PM
How would you feel about 2 18: subs mounted into your ceiling?

Ceiling? Is that possible without messing up the sound?

GMichael
07-09-2007, 12:17 PM

The rear wave would go into your attic. Just don't go up there during the POD races.

topspeed
07-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Source: Denon 2910, DirecTV HD-DVR
Drive: Denon 3803, PS Audio HCA2
Monitor: JVC 52" HDiLA
Speaks: B&W CDM 7NT, CNT, 1NT's, DefTech PF12TL
Calibration: DVE, Spyder
Conditioning: Monster HTS2000, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet
Wire: Harmonic Tech, Monster, Esoteric, and Marsh

kexodusc
07-09-2007, 02:13 PM
Mark,

Is Sound Dynamics still around? I listened to a full range tower years ago in Dallas and fell in love. Money was short at the time so I went back several months later and they were history. I think the speaker I was considering was a P-100 or 1000 somthing? They had built in subs. I wish I could find that speaker now. If I remember correctly, they were out of Australia but were owned by the company who owns Mirage and Energy. Great speakers!

JSE
Close...made in Canada, and owned by API (Mirage, Energy, etc) the company was rebranded and Sound Dynamics has become a rather popular name these days in Best Buy and wherever entry level speakers are sold....you may have heard of Athena...

And yeah, when I bought my Paradigm Studios, the speakers I had almost settled on were some wicked, pyramid shaped Sound Dynamics. Actually ended up going with Paradigm Monitors, then heard the Sound Dynamics and was going to upgrade within 30 days, then settled with the Studios in a very busy month that kinda drove the then girlfriend crazy...

kexodusc
07-09-2007, 02:22 PM
Ceiling, wall, floor...
Forget bickering over sealed box or ported box...how about NO BOX...
This is the infinite baffle alignment - IMO it is a far, far superior sounding bass.
The distortion at low frequencies is significantly lower, the front wave is completely isolated from the rear wave, so better low frequency efficiency, no coloration, etc...

Hard to describe - you know that sonic charge scene Star Wars EP II where Obiwan is chasing Jango Fett in the asteroid field? I really felt the shockwave penetrate my skin, throw my ass back in the seat, rattle my internal organs...one wave at a time in a way I don't experience otherwise.

2 friends of mine have done this, one converted a Titanic 12" MKIII (added a second) another uses 4 Dayton 15" DVC's. It's sick...no other word for it.

My wife won't let me carve a hole in the ceiling or wall for 2 big 15" woofers but I suspect in the next year we'll be building a new house one way or another...that HT room will be designed with IB in mind.

Troy
07-09-2007, 03:15 PM
Not to show off or anything . . . but it's all in the sig, bayyyybeeeee!

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Dude, you could get the 8 track fixed!

Troy
07-09-2007, 04:31 PM
I stuck a matchbook in it so sometimes it changes tracks now.

jrhymeammo
07-09-2007, 05:25 PM
*17" LCD
*eMachines
*Philips EarBuds
*15' radio-shack 1/8" extension.

JSE
07-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Dude, you could get the 8 track fixed!

I've got 2, yes Dos!, 8-track players from the 70's. Can't remember the name off hand. Starts with a "W"? I've also got a sweet Teac Reel to Reel. And of cource, a box of 8-tracks and tapes for the Teac. I need to Ebay the stuff one day. It was my Dad's stuff. I think I've got some Abba on 8 track and maybe some James Taylor on tape.

I will never sell the Abba!!!!:cornut:

Rich-n-Texas
07-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I stuck a matchbook in it so sometimes it changes tracks now.
Ha ha ha ha ha :lol:

I was just about to post in the 8 track thread that I used to try to cure that "sorta sickly warbling sound" by sticking a match pack under the tape in my Pioneer underdash Super Tuner III 8 track player in my old 1970 Ford Maverick.

I sure miss the good 'ol days.