Two Hidden Gems From Mr. MidFi [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Two Hidden Gems From Mr. MidFi

JDaniel
02-22-2004, 08:10 PM
I know I'm a little late to the dance with these comments. These were probably reviewed back around the holidays. But I've played the heck out of two comps rec'd a while back from our Chicago connection - Mr. MidFi - Waiting To Derail & MetaComp 4. Both are stunningly excellent comps.

I should do a thorough review, but I'm wiped out late on a Sun. after a long day of golf (no sympathy replies please). But a few short comments will have to suffice.

Waiting to Derail is a cool collection of bands that you'd probably never see together anywhere else, and probably wouldn't work if you did, but this does. I mean Wilco, Gaudalcanal Diary, Bob Dylan, John Mellencamp, REM, Cowboy Junkies, Beck, Dandy Warhols, Whiskeytown, White Stripes & Lucinda Williams on the same disc? It's like a Casey Casem nightmare. And it is great.

MetaComp 4 is likewise an interesting study. Beth Orton, Neko Case, Uncle Tupelo, Smashing Pumpkins, Peter Gabriel & the Afro-Celt SoundSystem, XTC, The Flaming Lips, and Jeff Beck.[/b] C'mon Chris - you can't do that - it defies logic. Ah, but therein lies the beauty of this comp - it works. Chris calls this "A Mr. MidFi Thingy", and that's just what this is - a thingy that is also one well-done compilation.

Great job Mr. MidFi. Thanks for sharing these. And RaveRekkers, if you don't have these, then by all means run down to tower records and look for these in the alt-country-punk-folk-pop40 section.

JD