Paradigm Monitor 9 vs new JBL-L890 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Paradigm Monitor 9 vs new JBL-L890

plahpoy
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
which ones are better, I have an opportunity for monitor 9's with a cc350 center for 500.00 used, or i can get jbl-l890's new / complete home theater at cost (great deal 280 per speaker) The reviews I've read say the JBL's are great, but are they even in the same league as paradigm monitor 9's (v.2)

Thanks in advance for your input guys/gals

anamorphic96
07-06-2007, 02:19 PM
I would say the new JBL L series is very much an equal to the Paradigms. Even the new v.5 series. If it where my money I would go with the JBL's. JBL really did their homework with this line of speakers. They have a very open sounding midrange with a smooth top end that never gets grainy or rough like some of there older models, and the bass is nice and tight with good extension.

I don't like everything JBL has made, especially in the consumer market. But they hit a home run with the new L series.

Jack in Wilmington
07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
I'm going to take a guess and say that the cc350 is older than the Monitor 9's are since the cc350 was replaced with the cc370 around 2002. At that time the Monitor 9's were v1. I really like the new mon. 9's. The new driver arrangement gives it a smoother sound. But since they are in fact the older version, go with the JBL's.

gjpham
07-10-2007, 11:54 PM
I would say the new JBL L series is very much an equal to the Paradigms. Even the new v.5 series. If it where my money I would go with the JBL's. JBL really did their homework with this line of speakers. They have a very open sounding midrange with a smooth top end that never gets grainy or rough like some of there older models, and the bass is nice and tight with good extension.

I don't like everything JBL has made, especially in the consumer market. But they hit a home run with the new L series.
Hi A96, since you know about the L series. I have a pair of L100 t3 and they sound so owesome I am thinking to hunt down for another one and USE IT AS CENTER SPEAKER. What's your thought about this idea? My center right now is AR and it sounds so dull, unlike the L series.
I audition the current L890 at Tweeter ($900/pair) to compare with my old L series, but I backed out after checking and compare the price of each drivers on JBL website. My old tweeter value at over $100 each compare with the new super tweeter $10 or $18 for the tweeter why are they so cheap? I wish I have them side by side with my old set to compare them though.

filecat13
07-16-2007, 02:52 AM
gjpham

There are a number of reasons why the drivers are less expensive. Notice I didn't write "cheap." The cost of making Ti drivers dropped considerably as manufacturers refined the forming process, ramped up production volumes, and found ways to eliminate some of the more costly but unnecessary components. For example, the 035TiA in your L100t3 cost a lot more to manufacture and required a lot more in the hardware department, including the mounting ring, the large black housing, the mesh screen and gasket, and the patterend, formed dome of the driver. Yet it was a more economical driver than its predecessor, the 044Ti, and it sold in higher volumes.

My JBL Performance Series speakers ($1700/ea. retail) have TM025 Ti drivers, which are smooth domes with lightweight Neo magnets, rubber surrounds, and EOS Waveguides instead of patterned domes, big, heavy Fe magnets, a foam dampening pad, and diamond-patterned surrounds like your 035TiA drivers. The TM025 drivers sell for about a third the cost of brand new 035TiAs, but they sound (and measure) better.

The TM025 drivers are quite similar to what's in the Studio L Series as tweeters, and the Studio Ls also have the Mylar supertweeter. That driver combo easily outperforms the 035TiA both on the frequency response charts and in your ears where it counts.

BTW, I have a number of JBLs with the 035TiA tweeter, and they're very nice. But it's an old, expensive, and IMO obsolete design that deserves its place in the Ti tweeter Hall of Fame, but it should not be in any modern speaker.

Hi A96, since you know about the L series. I have a pair of L100 t3 and they sound so owesome I am thinking to hunt down for another one and USE IT AS CENTER SPEAKER. What's your thought about this idea? My center right now is AR and it sounds so dull, unlike the L series.
I audition the current L890 at Tweeter ($900/pair) to compare with my old L series, but I backed out after checking and compare the price of each drivers on JBL website. My old tweeter value at over $100 each compare with the new super tweeter $10 or $18 for the tweeter why are they so cheap? I wish I have them side by side with my old set to compare them though.