From "Rockstar" to "Idol" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : From "Rockstar" to "Idol"

ForeverAutumn
07-06-2007, 06:10 AM
I'm sure that some of the folks around here watched Rockstar INXS when it was on TV a couple years ago. One of the contestants that I liked was Suzie McNeil. Suzie has a CD out now that I've been curious about, but not taken the time to investigate.

This morning I was flipping around radio stations and heard that the next song was going to be her. So I stuck around that station to hear it. When the song came on, it was a song that I've been hearing a lot, but I always thought that it was Kelly Clarkson (or some reasonable facsimile). It was pop pablum that I would expect from an American Idol contestant, not a Rockstar INXS contestant. I was very disappointed. Needless to say, I won't be buying the CD.

What happened Suzie? You used to be so cool!

nobody
07-06-2007, 06:40 AM
Frankly, I'd be surprised if someone who went on a musical game show didn't churn out some corporate pop tune now and then.

ForeverAutumn
07-06-2007, 06:43 AM
You do make a good point. I guess I was just expecting something that rocked a little more.

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 06:55 AM
Kelly Clarkson's management recently cancelled a date due to a lack of ticket sales. I really don't think any American Idol winner will enjoy much success at all, so what chance do any other "musical game show" (which is exactly the right term) champs have? More cynicism on my part but... once again it's all about network ratings.

nobody
07-06-2007, 07:04 AM
She may not have a long and fruitful career, but Kelly's already sold enough records to keep her in style for a lifetime. I'm not a fan of any of the Idols, but several of them have already topped charts and brought home large stacks of cash. So, depends what you call success.

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 07:30 AM
So have the one-hit wonders...

Sustained success is what I had in mind. I actually like Kelly and had hopes that she'd be on the scene for a long time to come, what with her being a home-grown Texan, but I have my doubts now.

Wasn't the goal of the show Rockstar: INXS to sign a new lead singer and go back to the studio? And then maybe a tour sometime down the road? If so, I think that'll be a good test of credibility for programming such as this.

SlumpBuster
07-06-2007, 07:45 AM
I was a big fan of Rockstar: INXS, and I remember Suzie. She was probably just playing a role. That show had a problem in both seasons with contestants that were just trying to get exposure for their own careers or their band's career.

I liked Kelly Clarkson's last record alot and will buy the new one this weekend (I think it's out?). I must admit that I was and Idol naysayer initially, but I could care less now where the record comes from. If I like it, I'm going to listen too it regardless of what the music mavens think.

Also, she will be interesting to watch over the next year or two. I heard her on XM and she claims she cancelled the tour, not her managment. In fact, she fired her managment. She claims she didn't want or think she could fill the areanas that her management were booking. She hopes to be out on the road in the fall doing a theater tour, which is what she wanted to do in the first place. Also, her trouble with her label has been overstated. She didn't want to use song doctors like Dr. Luke anymore, so she didn't. That is a smart and couragous decision. I actually like Dr. Luke's work, but would rather hear Kelly on the record, if that is what she wants me to hear. If I don't like it so be it, but at least it was her work.

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the clarifications SlumpBuster. What iformation I got was on the local Fox news channel, which doesn't always provide much detail.

ForeverAutumn
07-06-2007, 08:11 AM
Wasn't the goal of the show Rockstar: INXS to sign a new lead singer and go back to the studio? And then maybe a tour sometime down the road? If so, I think that'll be a good test of credibility for programming such as this.

That's right. The goal was to find a new singer for INXS, record an album and then do a worldwide tour. They seemed to have decent success with the album and tour. They sold out several dates here, albeit in a small venue (2700 seats).

Unlike, Super Nova. Or, as Dilana called them when we saw her perform last week...Super No Go. :)