Music Collection [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music Collection

Bernd
07-05-2007, 07:29 AM
The ongoing thread about the relationship ratio of Music cost to gear expenditure got me to get this started.
I am slowly but surely running out of storage for my records and cds. A constant battle with my wife as all my singles reside in our bed room.
The point I am trying to make is this. Should a music collection evolve with all that it entails. Selling the old to make room for the new, or should one just add new additions to the collection.
Without any doubt I have records I will never play again (Queen - Hot Space anyone:frown2: ), yet are part and testament of my musical journey and hold some sort of sentimental value. So what is a man to do? Cull or just keep adding to the Library.

Peace

:23:

mlsstl
07-05-2007, 08:22 AM
I've been actively converting my collection of CDs, LPs and open reel tapes to digital format (FLAC) which I store on a single PC (with an external USB drive backup copy). I use a Squeezebox 3 for playback. Not only is storage space dramatically reduced, but with good tagging, access to the music is greatly improved. If you want Dean Martin's "That's Amore" as the song just before Thea Gilmore's "Mainstream" followed by Bach's "Air" that's not a problem.

There are a few albums and CDs I hang on to for sentimental reasons, but it is really nice to be free of the storage issue.

Feanor
07-05-2007, 08:50 AM
The ongoing thread about the relationship ratio of Music cost to gear expenditure got me to get this started.
I am slowly but surely running out of storage for my records and cds. A constant battle with my wife as all my singles reside in our bed room.
The point I am trying to make is this. Should a music collection evolve with all that it entails. Selling the old to make room for the new, or should one just add new additions to the collection.
Without any doubt I have records I will never play again (Queen - Hot Space anyone:frown2: ), yet are part and testament of my musical journey and hold some sort of sentimental value. So what is a man to do? Cull or just keep adding to the Library.

Peace

"Evolution" is a good thing: our tastes evolve and new recordings of the same music come along. Surely we shouldn't stagnate listening always to the same old stuff. Some might have specific collecting objects, e.g. in my case to have at least one example of all the "core" classical works on my list, (which see), (excepting maybe the operas) ...
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.htm

So we to get new stuff isn't really debatable from my pespective, but what about the old? What use is a vast collection if you never listen to it? There was the guy I mentioned with 30,000 recording: at say 1000 recordings a year, (roughly 3 hours a day every day), it would take him 30 years to cycle through it, always assuming he did so systematically. No, it is highly appropriate to cull on a regular basis -- unless one is into collecting for the sake of collecting rather than listening to music.

JohnMichael
07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
I have some music that causes me to wonder what the hell I was thinking at the time. I think about discarding the cd's or vinyl but you never know when you might be in the mood to hear them again. The music I purchase today is music I will enjoy for the long term. I do not know if this means I have developed better taste or my taste has matured. I like my racks to be full but I would also like about a third of my recordings to disappear and be replaced by music I would choose today. One of my big mistakes is getting drunk and nostalgic and logging on to BMG and ordering cd's. That would explain Seals and Crofts "Greatest Hits".

If I kept record for a month I wonder how many records I actually listen to and how many of my current collection I would need to keep.

Bernd
07-05-2007, 09:00 AM
"Evolution" is a good thing: our tastes evolve and new recordings of the same music come along. Surely we shouldn't stagnate listening always to the same old stuff. Some might have specific collecting objects, e.g. in my case to have at least one example of all the "core" classical works on my list, (which see), (excepting maybe the operas) ...
http://ca.geocities.com/w_d_bailey/CoreClassical.htm

So we to get new stuff isn't really debatable from my pespective, but what about the old? What use is a vast collection if you never listen to it? There was the guy I mentioned with 30,000 recording: at say 1000 recordings a year, (roughly 3 hours a day every day), it would take him 30 years to cycle through it, always assuming he did so systematically. No, it is highly appropriate to cull on a regular basis -- unless one is into collecting for the sake of collecting rather than listening to music.

That's my point exactely. I am not in the 30,000 ballpark, but heading towards 5 figures and I have recordings I will never listen to again. I don't feel like converting my vinyl into digital. I mean what would be the point. A) I like the sound of Vinyl and B) I enjoy all the mechanics involved in handling the record etc..
So I think I will just do a ruthless cull and bring the local charityshop some joy, but then again I could squeeze a couple more in here.............Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh:incazzato:

Peace

:7:

GMichael
07-05-2007, 09:10 AM
Maybe a room for your music library is in order. A place to store everything in some sort of order. You could walk in like it's a wine cellar and pick a vintage LP for tonight's listening enjoyment.

No need for BOT

Bernd
07-05-2007, 09:15 AM

No need for BOT

Have not seen any for some weeks. So what the f**k is going on with the weather?
Cold, rain, villages still flooded and I am developing trench foot.

Oh yeah music library. Nice try GM. No more empty rooms left, ever since my Father in Law landed in my lap.:mad2:

Peace

:1:

GMichael
07-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Have not seen any for some weeks. So what the f**k is going on with the weather?
Cold, rain, villages still flooded and I am developing trench foot.

Oh yeah music library. Nice try GM. No more empty rooms left, ever since my Father in Law landed in my lap.:mad2:

Peace

:1:

We'll send you some of ours.

How do you feel about an addition?

Bernd
07-05-2007, 09:24 AM
We'll send you some of ours.

How do you feel about an addition?

B.O.T., real Summer-warmth or Room? Please specify.

GMichael
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
We'll send you some of ours. BOT

How do you feel about an addition? A new room.

Bernd
07-05-2007, 09:30 AM
We'll send you some of ours. BOT

How do you feel about an addition? A new room.

It has to be a secret room or I fear sooner or later it will again be occupied by transient family members and we'll be back to square numero uno.

And thanks for the B.O.T. Can't wait for tomorrow morning now.

SlumpBuster
07-05-2007, 09:38 AM
I don't ever get rid of anything. I still have stuff from when I was 7 or 8 years old. My father was in the music business. He had and epic LP collection that took up an entire room in the basement of our house. He would often use them for sampling and finding obsure gems for cover songs. No one knows how many LPs there were, but when my mother made him move them out of the house and into the recording studio it took a moving van with 3 guys.

Not to get too heavy, but now my father is gone and the LP collection is too. It was swallowed/canabalized/pilfered by the riff-raff/degenerates at the studio. I really wish I had had one last chance to go through that collection before it was gone. You never know who else might be interested in your collection.

Also, I went to school for so long that for my first decade of serious collecting, I could never have more than a couple of crates of records because I was constantly moving from dorm to dorm. Now that I have space and resources, I enjoy spreading out the collection and am making up for lost time.

GMichael
07-05-2007, 09:41 AM
It has to be a secret room or I fear sooner or later it will again be occupied by transient family members and we'll be back to square numero uno.

And thanks for the B.O.T. Can't wait for tomorrow morning now.

I was thinking of a room without windows. CD's and LP's don't like the BOT. And even transient family members like some windows. Build it like a dungeon.
Hope the BOT get's there by morning. I sent it FedEx.

Rich-n-Texas
07-05-2007, 10:15 AM
I was thinking of a room without windows. CD's and LP's don't like the BOT. And even transient family members like some windows. Build it like a dungeon.
Hope the BOT get's there by morning. I sent it FedEx.
ALRIGHT! WHAT THE HE!! IS BOT? :mad:

One of my big mistakes is getting drunk and nostalgic and logging on to BMG and ordering cd's. That would explain Seals and Crofts "Greatest Hits".
:lol: Yeah, and me with Rhapsody and now iTunes.

I'd never get rid of my modest collection of vinyl recordings. I'm proud of the fact that they've survived my transitory ways over the years, so for me it is sentimental. Probably wouldn't be too hard to part with the Loverboy and Cars albums though.

Resident Loser
07-05-2007, 10:34 AM
ALRIGHT! WHAT THE HE!! IS BOT? :mad:

:lol: Yeah, and me with Rhapsody and now iTunes.

I'd never get rid of my modest collection of vinyl recordings. I'm proud of the fact that they've survived my transitory ways over the years, so for me it is sentimental. Probably wouldn't be too hard to part with the Loverboy and Cars albums though.

...Okay since you asked so nice...we are on the third stone from it...Sol...the Big Orange Thing...

jimHJJ(...the closest star...)

GMichael
07-05-2007, 10:38 AM
...Okay since you asked so nice...we are on the third stone from it...Sol...the Big Orange Thing...

jimHJJ(...the closest star...)

You must have read some of my old posts without saying anything.

musicoverall
07-05-2007, 10:41 AM
" There was the guy I mentioned with 30,000 recording: at say 1000 recordings a year, (roughly 3 hours a day every day), it would take him 30 years to cycle through it, always assuming he did so systematically. No, it is highly appropriate to cull on a regular basis -- unless one is into collecting for the sake of collecting rather than listening to music.

Totally disagree. There is no need to cycle through one's collection, nor cull it, unless one simply wants to keep it at a certain level. I have about 12,000 recordings and I'm often asked why I have so many since I can't listen to them all very often. That's not the point. The point is that when the spirit moves me to listen to any one of the 12,000 recordings, I can fulfill that need. Whether I feel that once a week, once a year or once a decade is of no consequence. It absolutely has nothing to do with collecting rather than listening. The one thing each of my pieces of music software has in common is that they are enjoyable listens. If they weren't, they wouldn't be in my collection.

musicoverall
07-05-2007, 10:46 AM
That's my point exactely. I am not in the 30,000 ballpark, but heading towards 5 figures and I have recordings I will never listen to again. I don't feel like converting my vinyl into digital. I mean what would be the point. A) I like the sound of Vinyl and B) I enjoy all the mechanics involved in handling the record etc..
So I think I will just do a ruthless cull and bring the local charityshop some joy, but then again I could squeeze a couple more in here.............

Picture the cat from "Shrek" and take pity! Send LP's! :)

Rich-n-Texas
07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
You must have read some of my old posts without saying anything.
That's probably why I don't get it but...Big Orange Thing = the sun right?

I'm done now...:blush2:

E-Stat
07-05-2007, 02:44 PM
Cull or just keep adding to the Library.
I guess I'm in the minority in that I chose to thin the herd. I gave away about 200 records that I knew I would never really want to hear again. Either because I no longer like the music or I simply wore out the copy. I collect merely as a means to listen.

rw

nightflier
07-05-2007, 02:54 PM
Ever thought about off-site storage? Most places offer climate-controlled rooms.

Another option that I use to keep my DVD collection in check is to lend out your music - after all, what's the point of storing music you never listen to anymore when it could be enjoyed by someone else. The key is to find someone else that you trust to takes equally good care of his own collection. Heck you can even keep track of everything that you lend out, if you're real anal about it. There's plenty of people who wouldn't mind borrowing good quality out-of-print or hard-to-find records to burn to CD. Ever thought about helping out a local radio station? I'm sure they wouldn't mind. How about starting up a local LP revival club?

kexodusc
07-05-2007, 04:56 PM
I try and keep mine manageable around 600-800. Probably on the lower side of that now, but I do but that won't take long to jump up. I've got into the habit of storing everything digitally (FLAC) so that might grow to a much higher number than what I've maintained for several years, but in all honesty, this is still too much for me. There's so much I just can't get around to listening too frequently enough for it to be of great enough value to not trade up for something else. I could probably do with 400. Do I really need the entire Dinosaur Jr. and Matthew Sweet discographies? Well, yeah...
This will grow by 50-60 (net) a year or so I suspect based on the last few years. I'm more selective with my purchases now, fewer are getting recycled.
I suspect I'll accumulate a much larger library going forward, and extract the ones that I don't touch for more than 2 years.

There's just a breaking point for me when it comes to storage. I can go to my local used CD store and get anything I traded in back fast enough if I ever really missed anything, I don't need boxes taking space.

Bernd
07-06-2007, 01:52 AM
Totally disagree. There is no need to cycle through one's collection, nor cull it, unless one simply wants to keep it at a certain level. I have about 12,000 recordings and I'm often asked why I have so many since I can't listen to them all very often. That's not the point. The point is that when the spirit moves me to listen to any one of the 12,000 recordings, I can fulfill that need. Whether I feel that once a week, once a year or once a decade is of no consequence. It absolutely has nothing to do with collecting rather than listening. The one thing each of my pieces of music software has in common is that they are enjoyable listens. If they weren't, they wouldn't be in my collection.

That is the reason that stops me from culling, but I think some questionable stuff is for the chop.
Some really good responses and interesting P.O.Vs.

And GM - you need to have a word with your choice of courier.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE B.O.T.?????????:mad:

Peace

:16:

basite
07-06-2007, 03:32 AM
send some bot here too, please, I'm afraid fedex lost the package :)

IMO: unless you hate the record, keep it, otherwise, get rid of it by any means nessecary. Or when you're totally 'room-less', then get rid of some too. squeezing records in when there's no actual room for them anymore is not good, vinyl doesn't like to be squeezed...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

jrhymeammo
07-06-2007, 08:56 AM
squeezing records in when there's no actual room for them anymore is not good, vinyl doesn't like to be squeezed...

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

You running outta shelf space? Just send them to:

Jayhula
175 N. Locu.......

I really dont like to sell my music, because i sold about 100CDs last summer I miss some of them to this day. Also, there is nothing like enjoying CDs I never really cared for.

Also it's fun to take out a Neil Daimond LPs and chuck'em outta window.

JRA

basite
07-06-2007, 09:17 AM
You running outta shelf space? Just send them to:

Jayhula
175 N. Locu.......

I really dont like to sell my music, because i sold about 100CDs last summer I miss some of them to this day. Also, there is nothing like enjoying CDs I never really cared for.

JRA

enough space left here, and more space available when I want to.
And I'm up for adoption if everyone ever wants to get rid of vinyl. Especially from those who get rid of jazz, latin, rock & funk vinyl :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

GMichael
07-06-2007, 10:17 AM
And GM - you need to have a word with your choice of courier.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE B.O.T.?????????:mad:

Peace

:16:

It got held up in Customs at JFK. Something about it being illegal to send nuclear reactors out of the country. Who knew?

Sorry.

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 11:20 AM

JRA
Boy, wouldn't that be the ultimate insult? Getting hit by a flying Neil Diamond disc!

Hopefully someday I'll be in the same predicament... too much music and not enough space for it all. My collections are anemic at best... (hint hint)

Feanor
07-06-2007, 11:25 AM
enough space left here, and more space available when I want to.
And I'm up for adoption if everyone ever wants to get rid of vinyl. Especially from those who get rid of jazz, latin, rock & funk vinyl :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Anyone can score my entire classical vinyl collection for US$2.00 each :cornut:, provided they buy them all, (<100 LPs), and pay shipping, duty, and taxes, if any.
:17: :21:

SlumpBuster
07-06-2007, 11:26 AM
Hey... I kinda like Neil Diamond (sheepishly). I just listened to Hot August Night like three weekends ago. No, really... I did.

Rich-n-Texas
07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
And what caliber was the pistol that was being held to your head? :eek:

JohnMichael
07-06-2007, 11:47 AM
Hey... I kinda like Neil Diamond (sheepishly). I just listened to Hot August Night like three weekends ago. No, really... I did.

I have his "Stones" cd and his greatest hits on vinyl. I might have one or two more. Time to listen to some ND.

jrhymeammo
07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2C9oMmwl80

SlumpBuster
07-06-2007, 05:43 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2C9oMmwl80

That's great :D

basite
07-07-2007, 01:15 AM
lmao :)

we (not I) have several neil diamond LP's, safely stashed/hidden in the attic, mom liked him very much back then...

hey there's a big window in the attic too :ihih:

westcott
07-08-2007, 07:45 AM
I got tired of handling CDs and so I bought a Mega Changer that holds 300 CD's. I was a little skeptical of the purchase when I got it but it has turned out to be one of the most enjoyable equipment purchases I have made in a long time. It is convenient and I no longer have to store or handle CDs. I can also add more changers as my collection grows. I also have found that I listen to more music now than I ever did with my 5 disc changer. I also listen to a greater variety of music in my collection using the random play feature. It cost me $200. Now, I realize my collection is fairly small compared to some of you but if you figure how much your time is worth and how much work it would be to back them up to a hard drive and archive 300 or 400 CDs, it makes for a strong economic arguement. And, if you have to back it up to a hard drive, you have to store it in two or even three places just in case you have a crash. Not to mention the cost of a computer, hard drives, heat problems, noise, etc. Maybe someday I will be lucky enough to have a whole rack of Megachangers to listen to. One or two for each genre!!!!

hifitommy
07-08-2007, 08:17 AM
i've wanted to play at least one cut from it. i should get rid of the stuff that i didnt add myself like my deceased wife's john denver and barry manilow. other than examples like that, i am not so sure i would cull.