Please help with Audio Review!! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Please help with Audio Review!!

jim goulding
07-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Anybody-

Please help. For some reason the post I started in the "news and rumors" is locked. Bugger me if I know why!! Leaving a message on the contact us site has proven useless. Maybe this is something I did to myself. I know I was clicking on the icon at the far left side when suddenly the padlock symbol appeared. AR, or the system they use, won't let me make changes or anything. Can anyone help?? Thanks. Jim Goulding

markw
07-03-2007, 04:09 PM
...These snippets from your "post" might have somethng to do with it:

"A before and after 1/3 octave chart showing on axis and 40 degree off axis frequency response curves using a typical size monitor speaker with a surface mounted dome is included with every purchase along with a money back guarantee."

and

"Visit our site at diffractionbegone.com for pics and quotes to include one full review from AudiophileAudition.com".

IMNSHO, this makes what otherwise might be a valid, informative, otherwise innocent post appear to be nothing more than a cheap way to place a free advertisement.

Frankly, I'm surprised it wasn't deleted.

If any mod wants to correct my thinking here, fell free. I'm just guessing.

Also, I see you show seven posts on this site yet a search only turns up two. Any idea where the others went?

JohnMichael
07-04-2007, 06:07 AM
I deleted the first post and someone locked the second post. As markw observed it looked like jim g was looking for free advertising and promotion.

jim goulding
07-05-2007, 03:44 AM
I thought this was an appropriate place to introduce a new product. I wanted AR readers to have knowledge of this. Jim

hifitommy
07-08-2007, 09:31 AM
i am not sure. query the moderators here and at other sites for suggestions.

JohnMichael
07-08-2007, 10:41 AM
Jim if you go to the home page and scroll to the bottom you will see a link that reads "advertise with us". We have companies paying for advertising and if we let you post with a link to the product for purchase they will rightly ask why they are paying to advertise.

I should also say that I agree that diffraction control is important and that is why I use it with my own speakers. I use a home made method of felt with adhesive backing designed to protect furniture. I became aware of the need years ago when reading about a speaker designer and he used self-adhesive foam used to insulate doors and windows to surround the tweeters.

jim goulding
07-09-2007, 10:53 PM
JM- Hi. If the product that you use is what I think it is I ran into it at Home Depot and it's used for what you said. It's quite thin and rather hard, right? The product that I'm offering is very thick and composed of highly absorbent wool minus symthetic fibers. I dare say you can do better. I would like to talk to you about that and why my classified has disappeared if you know anything. I would rather talk with you by phone at 281-468-3133 or by email at jimdgoulding@yahoo.com. I would welcome hearing from you. Thank you. Jim Goulding

SlumpBuster
07-10-2007, 07:29 AM
It's getting shilly in here..... Goofball.

Rich-n-Texas
07-10-2007, 07:50 AM
JM- Hi. If the product that you use is what I think it is I ran into it at Home Depot and it's used for what you said. It's quite thin and rather hard, right? The product that I'm offering is very thick and composed of highly absorbent wool minus symthetic fibers. I dare say you can do better. I would like to talk to you about that and why my classified has disappeared if you know anything. I would rather talk with you by phone... I would welcome hearing from you. Thank you. Jim Goulding
Pardon my intrusion here Jim Goulding, but it sounds like you're still trying to advertise your product here. I don't even remember now what exactly it is you're selling (a good thing), but like JM said, if you want to sponsor this site, he can help you. Maybe you're just starting up a new business and maybe you're not well versed on marketing over the internet, but any online community discussion forum I've seen requires advertisers to pay before they can peddle their wares. Since you're registered here on the AR forums you have the option of communicating with him privately. I'm not a person in a postion of power here, but I suggest you go the Private Message route. As it stands, you're running the risk of being banned from this website, IMO.

noddin0ff
07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
The product that I'm offering is very thick and composed of highly absorbent wool minus symthetic fibers.

Wool minus synthetic fibers...that would be wool wouldn't it. Plain ol' wool. Sheep's clothing wool. Wool gathering wool. Or maybe, if you prefer, fleece. As in fleecing. Perhaps you obtain the fleece yourself? Are you a fleecer?

GMichael
07-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Wool minus synthetic fibers...that would be wool wouldn't it. Plain ol' wool. Sheep's clothing wool. Wool gathering wool. Or maybe, if you prefer, fleece. As in fleecing. Perhaps you obtain the fleece yourself? Are you a fleecer?

Sounds kind of like the cheeseburger I got at Jolly-bee's in the Philippines. I asked for it plain. It came without the cheese or the meet. A little too plain for me.

markw
07-10-2007, 09:07 AM
JM- Hi. If the product that you use is what I think it is I ran into it at Home Depot and it's used for what you said. It's quite thin and rather hard, right? The product that I'm offering is very thick and composed of highly absorbent wool minus symthetic fibers. I dare say you can do better. I would like to talk to you about that and why my classified has disappeared if you know anything. It sure appears you're grasping for every opportunity to shill your product on this site for free and, when an entity stoops to that level, I automatically question their ethics and the value of the product.

IOW, bite the bullet and pay for advertising..

Somehow, I don't think you're long for this site.

Rich-n-Texas
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Green chicklett for noddingOff! Very nice seguay sir!

jim goulding
07-11-2007, 04:35 PM
Jim if you go to the home page and scroll to the bottom you will see a link that reads "advertise with us". We have companies paying for advertising and if we let you post with a link to the product for purchase they will rightly ask why they are paying to advertise.

I should also say that I agree that diffraction control is important and that is why I use it with my own speakers. I use a home made method of felt with adhesive backing designed to protect furniture. I became aware of the need years ago when reading about a speaker designer and he used self-adhesive foam used to insulate doors and windows to surround the tweeters.

John Michael- Please advise me on how to pull this thread. I have read Audio Review for a very long time but have only been a member for a very short time. As I tried to explain in my first reply to you, I thought "News and Rumors" sounded like a hospitable place to introduce a new product. I apologized for commiting abuse although I was unaware that I was at the time. The reaction of members has been ugly and pretty ignorant in some cases. Can you pull this for me or tell me how to do it? I want to continue my membership and otherwise contribute when I can. Thank you. Jim

bobsticks
07-11-2007, 04:59 PM
I apologized for commiting abuse although I was unaware that I was at the time. The reaction of members has been ugly and pretty ignorant in some cases.

Frankly I hope that this thread isn't deleted. Maybe prospective, new shills will see our ugliness and ignorance and seek greener pastures. Fortunately for the rest of us you have kindly apologized for "accidently" locking your thread and seek to educate the peasantry.

I come to AR for a sense of community, some good humor and mutual sharing. I prefer none of these things to be tainted by questionable (at best) motives. Your "What, not me?!, I would never knowingly violate a rule held by every website on the web..." facade doesn't play to well with me.

Can't wait for your contributions to other threads. I look forward to you telling me I need to put a few pounds of Magical Pixie Wool over my amps. If I want a sweater I'll go to Macy's.

jim goulding
07-11-2007, 06:27 PM
John Dunlavy wrote a treatise on the subject. Along with my own experience is the reason
I think it makes a viable after market product for the speaker owners intended. Other box speaker manufacturers have included treatments for this and it should be pretty obvious that waveform behavior is on the mind of modern speaker designers. Typical commercially available wool felt contains synthetic fibers. It's known in the trade as wet wool but you don't have to take my word for it. That's what JM has if I'm not mistaken. Your point about shilling and your expectations on this or any forum is well taken. It's all I've been hearing about in case you haven't noticed, but your manner is elitist and obnoxious. To me, at any rate. There's another place you can put some wool or your thumb, whatever you prefer.

Luvin Da Blues
07-11-2007, 06:33 PM
I thought "News and Rumors" sounded like a hospitable place to introduce a new product.

It's a great place to introduce a new product...as long as it's not yours your trying to sell:crazy:

Luvin Da Blues
07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
But if you wanna send all of us here a free sample to demo...that would be different

bobsticks
07-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Your point about shilling and your expectations on this or any forum is well taken. It's all I've been hearing about in case you haven't noticed, but your manner is elitist and obnoxious. To me, at any rate. There's another place you can put some wool or your thumb, whatever you prefer.

Your posts are disingenuous and my manner is certainly not as elitist or obnoxious as your attempts to cast forth careful brush-asides and continue to pitch your product. Despite polite requests to stop you have continued with each post to detail your wares.

It truly is a rather simple matter. Again, the site has paying advertisers who will become discontented if you are allowed to continue your salse pitch free of charge. If enough of them protest or move elsewhere then the boys and girls of AR got no place to play. If you really had been a lurker here for some time you'd know that all individuals attempting to use the site as a means of free advertisement are met with the same resistance. It's a consistency thing.

Even if I suspected that your product had some merit, and if by some cataclysmic disaster I was unable to obtain this thing you call wool, I would sooner purchase it from the nearest Iraqi sympathizer because of your approach.

SlumpBuster
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm having some problems with difraction control. Does anyone know where I could get a room treatment that would help with it?

PS: I'm not afraid to throw alot of money at this problem as long as I see results.

Luvin Da Blues
07-12-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm having some problems with difraction control. Does anyone know where I could get a room treatment that would help with it?

PS: I'm not afraid to throw alot of money at this problem as long as I see results.

Not a clue...sorry.

:idea:

You could DIY with Wool minus synthetic fibers tho.

jim goulding
07-12-2007, 07:22 PM
When I first opened this thread, it was for some help to fix my post. Do you really think I would have asked for help if I thought I had done something wrong? When it became obvious to me that I had (JM), I apologized. And I would have left it that but JM mentioned that he used something similar. I know what that is, and, yes, I wanted him to know about another product. One member said I should have contacted him privately. Yes, I should have done that. My reply was meant for him, not everyone (little did I know at the time that it would get such a large turn out) and, as you may have gathered, or not, I think it’s an important development. One member didn’t seem to know what I was talking about, and on it went.

I’ve enjoyed getting StickyBobby out of his comfort zone. What a self righteous condescending prick. What happened to Macy’s, Bob? That’s a rhetorical question, Bob.

Some of you members were helpful and I thank you. I’m a hobbyist and love tripping with music of all kinds. I would welcome a little discourse if you gotta mind to. By all means, email me (promise not to try and “shill” you).

markw
07-13-2007, 04:42 AM
You claimed ignorance of the rules and you were disabused,

Now, had you simply stopped after post four, you most likely would have maintained some credibility.

Buy, by the cheap tricks you tried later in this thread, you trashed any possibility of maintaining credibility, at least with some of us long-time members.

Are you getting any hits from this thread? I think I'll ask a mod to simply remove it, or at least edit out any contact information.

Would you like that?

Luvin Da Blues
07-13-2007, 04:49 AM
(promise not to try and “shill” you).

and TRY being the Key word here eh Jim

Lets see some posts on other topics if your legit.

noddin0ff
07-13-2007, 05:05 AM
As much as I dislike shills and inversely (perversely?) enjoy the shear pleasure of abusing a wolf in sheep's clothing...at least Jim, is a participating shill. That, in my mind, is a zillion times better than the usual spam and go. Baaaa-d humor aside, perhaps a rough lamb-asting is just the price of admittance to the flock. All we like sheep have gone astray.

JohnMichael
07-13-2007, 08:14 AM
Jim you are not helping yourself on this site. I sent you a PM in response to your e-mail. I tried to send you an e-mail through the AR system but it stated you did not want to receive e-mails. Also you have not responded to my PM.

I told Jim I use diffraction control on my speakers as I have for a long time. I first learned of felt for diffraction control when I sold audio in the very early 80's. In those days the AR 9's used felt around the upper frequency drivers. I began using one form or another after reading about a do it yourself speaker where the designer used different methods to control early reflections. I suggested Jim post in the How To or the Audio Lab his beliefs and views on diffraction control so we can learn from him. I see that has not been done yet.

I have even started threads about diffraction control and find it a big improvement in imaging and soundstaging with domes in a box speakers. Jim I agree with you and wish you the best but no free advertising. You are welcome to start fresh with the community but I would suggest being more respectful. When the new guy comes in and causes friction with established and respected members and resorts to name calling it will not be good. When your first post is as an unknown wanting to sell his products you will be met as you were and as many have been met before you. The next move is yours and I hope it is a positive one.

bobsticks
07-13-2007, 03:43 PM
I'm not self righteous...

jim goulding
07-13-2007, 07:53 PM
Thanks, JohnMichael. Hi, members, one and all. I’m a new member (well, sort of). Here’s my bio.

A veteran of the jazz scene in San Francisco in the mid to late 60’s. Local rock, too. Been to most of the famous clubs in NYC and Chicago. Blues scene, too. Once saw Son Seals in downtown NY with a horn section. A blast! Miles Davis had to tell me to scoot over at Both/And in SF during a sojourn off stage. Had to tell me three times. He didn’t have much of a voice. I was embarrassed. Had lifetime free admission there cause I donated some rare albums to the owner. Heard John Handy’s quintet (the one recorded at Monterey) there many times. Lived only a couple of blocks away. Done the Fillmore and Avalon ballrooms. Three bucks for three bands. Good times.

When I got my first uptown hifi system in the 70’s, thought I’d died and gone to heaven. Picked up the third edition of TAS at the dealer. Upgraded to DQ10’s and, later, added the DQ sub with crossover. Drove em all with Kenwood L07 monoblocks. Used a modified Dyna pre. Still own a Sugano vintage Koetsu Black. Later, added a Counterpoint SA5 pre amp and bought some Acoustat Three’s and listened happily in a converted barn for the next several years. Accumulated a huge record collection. Got into CD late. Use a modified Bel Canto DAC1 with a Sony DVD transport. Moved to the city. Got some smaller active British two way speakers (and an AR line stage) to mate with a smaller room. Synergistic.

Some sounds that I just can’t get enough of late include John Adam’s Harmonium, Shirley Horne’s You Won’t Forget Me, Cat Power’s What Would The Community Think and a 20bit remaster of the Cannonball Adderley Quintet recorded at The Jazz Workshop in SF (just a jubilant date with a you are there experience). Some things I never tire of. Vintage Ella. Kind of Blue. British classical composers to soothe the savage breast. I look for artistry in music. You get that way, I think.

I’m a natural born iconoclast, political, opinionated. I have in house experience with several highly regarded monitors beyond what I own. What I expect from hifi is a recreation of the event. Just move it to the front end of my listening room as intact as what the microphone captured, thank you very much.

I love reading the forums and interviews that sometime appear in audio magazines. Hope you will allow me to join in your discourse.

Jim Goulding

Luvin Da Blues
07-13-2007, 09:06 PM
Ok, I'll go first, welcome (again?) to this forum Jim.

It's always good to have new members here, but Jim, ya gotta admit your initial posts do sound kinda shilly. You sound like you now your stuff and I hope to learn from your experiences, especially about the legendary acts you seen.

jim goulding
07-14-2007, 02:30 AM
No worries. Here's a gig I remember with great affection. I'm 15 years old and already have a fake ID. Wild child, you know. My mates and I go to a legendary old venue in Fort Worth,Texas- Jack's on Mansfield Hwy- to see Howlin Wolf. It's a BYOB place. I remember the Wolfman comin off the stage (really just a step up platform) and layin flat on his back amongst an enthusiatic crowd and playing and singing. He was about 6'5", I think. Lookin around the room, I remember seeing whiskey bottles and ladies purses standing on the tables but few people. They were all in the center of the room, dancing. The Wolfman had to be pretty inspired that night. I know everybody else was. Music has always been a part of my life. In those days, rock and roll was just being invented. It was all R&B from radio stations in Dallas, Sheveport, LA, Nashville, and Ciudad Acuna, MX. Home to Wolfman Jack before he got famous. My mom's best friend and our neighbor, a true Bohemian- never shaved her legs, always a glass of wine in her hand- who seldom wore anything but mumu's with nothin underneath incessantly listened to opera.on a big old console with an intergrated turntable. I knew who Puccini was when I was 10. Tell me something about yourself and your tastes, please. I'd love to hear. Again, thanks.

Luvin Da Blues
07-14-2007, 04:44 AM
That obviously left an impression whichya. I would of given my left testicle to see Howlin Wolf live. Gotta be one of my Favs along with Muddy Waters & Robert Johnson, hell just about anyone from Chess Records from back in the day. Just a testament to all the great R&R acts that covered him. No wonder I like Clapton so much.

Never get tired of listening to Little Red Rooster by just about anyone.

JohnMichael
07-14-2007, 06:12 AM
Jim welcome to AR. Thanks for sharing your musical interests and audio journey. Join in the fun.

jim goulding
07-14-2007, 10:17 PM
JM, Thank you for a warm welcome.

Blues, Man. I haven't heard that in a very long time. Didn't know how much I missed it till you said it. What's the scene in BC? Got any good stations?

Rich N Texas, I sent you an email using AR bout Patti Smith but I don't know if you got it. Just tonite I switched to phono and re-listened to Horses. In my rig, the difference from digital was apparent right away (it's been awhile). Her voice was so full and shaped and the group so coherent in their playing. I like that about her group. Have you heard "Dream of Life"? There's a track on it, When Duty Calls, about the bombing and killing of US Marines in Lebanon wherein she sings in the chorus, "Flag on a Matchhead". I think I get this. Damn sure don't sympathize but admire her poetic depth with this line and courage as an artist. You? Or, are you puttin on in your blog?

Sincerely

Luvin Da Blues
07-15-2007, 05:55 AM
Blues, Man. I haven't heard that in a very long time. Didn't know how much I missed it till you said it. What's the scene in BC? Got any good stations?

FM what's that..:confused5: ..but seriously I haven't listened to FM for a long time. I have a pretty good collection of ripped tunes and much prefer to "program" my own music. The"scene" is not bad here in the interior and is "gettin better all the time" but still have a long way to go to match Vancouver's blues scene (which is great bye the way).

We have an annual Blues fest here in town but mostly feature regional act with some noticeable headliners such as Long John Baldry (rest his glorious soul), Colin James (with Collin Linden) & Albert Lee to name a few. Up the road a piece in Salmon Arm they have a great international blues and Jazz fest that is amazing in of itself.

We have only one Blues club which sucks for a town of 150,000.

Jim, Probably time to let this thread die, I'm gunna start a thread to discuss all things Blues, R&B and Jazz. Hope to see ya over there.

:8: :18: :7: :23: :9: :19: :8:

bobsticks
07-15-2007, 06:30 AM
Wow. Putting recent animosities aside, I'm rightly impressed (hell, frankly envious) of some of those experiences. Miles was a raspy character wasn't he? Never met him myself but I've seen and heard interviews and it would be easy to miss that sqwuak in the din of a crowded club. Quite a moment.

I also agree with what I perceive to be your view on system synergy. Some of the biggest go-arounds in this place have been over "the ultimate gears" when in reality the room and the software are going to dictate almost everything. You pick the right tool for the job, as it were and it sounds like you've got it dailed in.

Welcome to the forum Jim. How 'bout if we ever meet up in one of them smokey, dingy blues holes we can just skip the static and I'll buy you a cold beverage and we can talk about Cannonball Adderly. Sound good?

Peace

jim goulding
07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Wow back, Bob. Heck yeah, that sounds good. Just this morning I was watching the Sundance channel and saw a program new to me- Live from Abbey Road- and heard an artist unfamiliar to me named Nerena Pallot accompanying herself on piano on a tune called Dakota. I was mesmerized. Seems to me that Sundance is just getting better and better with their programming. I see you’re a home theater enthusiast so I thought you might have an interest in this kind of programming. Perhaps I can pick your brain when I go shopping for an HDTV this coming Christmas? You got the picture alright bout my little meeting with Mr. Davis. Your comment about room influence is particularly relevant to my experience and efforts. It’s where my speakers are there but on good recording are completely passive. My system is transportation to the event and my room boundaries are hardly there, as well. There is an informative article on The Colorado Audio Society’s website named “It’s The Room, Stupid”. Too bad not everyone can dedicate space to do this. Well, thanks, Bob. Hope I can contribute something to a few peoples listening experience, library, and consciousness. See you later. Jim