Music on John From Cincinnati on HBO. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Music on John From Cincinnati on HBO.

Swish
07-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Anybody watching this show yet? I figured many of you would since it took the old Sunday night time slot that belonged to the Sopranos. I really like this series so far, and they certainly have good taste in music, although I'll be damned if I can find the credits for the songs anywhere.

HBO has the annoying habit of not providing the music credits after their series shows, ditto for Showtime (never saw them for the Sopranos, Entourage or Weeds), although the HBO website normally has that info, they have nothing on this new one yet.

I did recognize the song at the end of episode 2 (I think it was episode 2), "Staring at the Sun" by TV on the Radio, but there are others I don't know and want to find out. It just kind of ticks me off, so if anyone out there knows where I can find that info, please let me know. And if you have HBO, this one gets 'two thumbs up' from Swish Baby.

G Swish

Troy
07-03-2007, 01:34 PM
4 episodes in, something better happen soon or it's going to be another "Carnivale" where the metaphysics are expected to make up for the lack of anything to really latch onto. It feels really portentious and heavy and may be turing into one of the most pretentious shows on TV unless it starts making SOME kind of sense.

I'm willing to watch more so see if there's ANY sort of resolution or story I can gave a damn about (and I enjoy the actors from Deadwood that are on it), but my wife's ready to throw in the towel.

I honestly haven't connected with the music at all. The Soaps had that down.

nobody
07-04-2007, 07:19 AM
All I know is they open with a Joe Strummer song and John sure as hell ain't from Cincinnati.

Swish
07-04-2007, 09:02 AM
All I know is they open with a Joe Strummer song and John sure as hell ain't from Cincinnati.

Yeah, John sure ain't from Cinti, but like Troy's wife, I'm getting anxious to see something big, although I don't find the show 'pretentious', as he put it. I like the quirkiness of the whole thing, with the odd assortment of characters all somehow fitting into the story. I'm not crowning it as the greatest thing on cable, but I like it so far. I actually prefer Weeds to this, and possibly even Entourage, although it's a little too goofy at times.

Swish

Troy
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
Yeah, Weeds is the one for me too. Love it, love her.

John from Cincy is pretentious by your own description. It's pretending to be important without actually doing anything to back it up. All sizzle, no steak.

Swish
07-04-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah, Weeds is the one for me too. Love it, love her.

John from Cincy is pretentious by your own description. It's pretending to be important without actually doing anything to back it up. All sizzle, no steak.

I don't agree that they aren't doing anything as each week has given us more to chew on; first it was levitation by one of the lead characters, then the endless supply of money and the unlimited credit limit on his Am Ex card (Butchy's line about buying the whole shelf of "Chigal Rivas" really cracked me up), Shawny's miraculous recovery from a broken neck and total paralysis, then finally the attempted murder of John where he recovers from what should have been deadly stab wounds. I don't call that nothing, I call that building the characters and the story line. If it's not enough for you, then I guess that's your choice, but I still disagree that it's pretentious.

Now go fall in a hole someplace.

Swish

Slosh
07-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Can't say anything about the music because I simply haven't noticed but I've been giving this show a chance just because it's from the same writer/producer (and many actors) from Deadwood and that show grew on me when I thought it wasn't all that good at first. This one is keeping me interested as well.

How come no one ever talks about Dead Like Me? It's only one of the best TV shows ever, period. I'm this >< close to saying it is the best TV show ever. If you haven't seen it go out and rent it asaFp. You can thank me later.

Swish
07-04-2007, 06:19 PM
Can't say anything about the music because I simply haven't noticed but I've been giving this show a chance just because it's from the same writer/producer (and many actors) from Deadwood and that show grew on me when I thought it wasn't all that good at first. This one is keeping me interested as well.

How come no one ever talks about Dead Like Me? It's only one of the best TV shows ever, period. I'm this >< close to saying it is the best TV show ever. If you haven't seen it go out and rent it asaFp. You can thank me later.

...although I didn't get to watch every episode. Now that I have Comcast with On Demand, I can go back and watch stuff that I miss on the first run. I don't have tape shows and don't have a Tivo or other device, and won't buy one because I just don't watch enough TV to justify it.

As for the music on JFC, it's not that there's a ton of it, just a few tunes here and there and it makes me crazy when I can't find the credits. No big deal.

Swish

mondo
07-06-2007, 03:57 PM
They have a list of the music on the HBO discussion boards fr the John show. Also, I live ia So Cal surf town and grew up just like Butchi. I lov the show. I can see how maybe people in the northwest, midwest, and other red states might not like this show. Give it a chance, it is very cleverly written.

I'd also suggest turning on the subtitle feature on your tv for this show. You'd be amazed at how clever and funny the script writing is. it's hard to pick it up though without the subtitles. Every TV has the option to turn on subtititles. It's just most have never needed it. But for Milcher productions, I find it a great asset tool. I picked up lots of gems I would have missed during Deadwood this way as well.