advice for an up and comming audiophile? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : advice for an up and comming audiophile?

arskwared
07-02-2007, 06:10 PM
Hey guys and gals,

im in the market for a set of good speakers with a price range of =/< $500 and i wonder if i can get some advice.

i need a smaller set, either studio monitors or bookshelfs. The room is small so i dont want towers. They will be used in a studio-type setting, but i want them mainly for everyday listening purposes, not entirely recording. From what i hear monitors aren't the greatest for everyday listening producing a flat, boring sound?
I need them smaller so they can sit on a desk and be used on a PC, so smaller is good, but i will sacrifice size for the right system.
I've looked at everything and am kind of lost on what to get. I would prefer the amp to be built in so i dont have to worry about matching up amps and ohms etc, i really dont know too much about it.
the type of music will be hip-hop and r&b, whether this makes a difference or not, im not sure.

thanks for any replies and for any help

matt

bubbagump
07-03-2007, 03:13 AM
There are some good pc speakers but for satisfying, realistic playback, you need speakers that can move some air. A relatively inexpensive way to go but that requires some space, try the KEF clones from Best Buy, a T-Amp and an inexpensive sub. Total cost will depend on which T-Amp you choose and which sub you buy. If you go with the more expensive T-Amp (which I'd recommend), the total package will run about 300. If you already have a sub and receiver/amp, you'll pay only about 80 bucks for the Insigs. I've owned and used a number of pc speakers over the years including product from Logitech (z2200 and z2300's, z5500's). The Insig's sound far better in the midrange especially. The Insigs are not speakers that can fill a medium to large size room with realistic sound but in the nearfield, they sound amazing.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705307&type=product&id=1138085354138

http://www.si5.com/products.php?pID=4004

basite
07-03-2007, 03:32 AM
t amp for sure, for speakers, also look at monitor audio, or maybe klipsch, or wharfedale... my cousin haves a pair of monitor audio BR2's, they are pretty darn good speakers for their money, and will give you enough bass for r&b & stuff like that :)

otherwise, if you really don't like the t-amp; you could always look for vintage stuff, they might look outdated, but when they're in a good condition (and if not; it's a fun project to get them in a good condition) they will beat alot of amps costing waaay more than what you paid for it...

happy hunting,
Bert.

JohnMichael
07-03-2007, 07:39 AM
I would like to suggest the Ascend Acoustics CBM 170SE. They are a very neutral speaker and will work well as a monitor. They will fit your requirements of being bookshelf size. They cost $348 plus shipping. They perform well above their price class.

http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cbm170/cbm170.html

pixelthis
07-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Bose is the darth vader of the audi world without the sunny disposistion but they make a great PC speaker for 99$ bucks, I used to use em with a mp3 player, paired with a sun and they deliver great sound and are powered
klipsh makes great pc speakers also
I got a small pair of bostons at tweeter on closeout also

topspeed
07-06-2007, 11:33 AM
Active speakers (speakers that have built-in amps) really limit your choices. I've only heard Genelecs, and these are professional monitors that are waaay out of your budget. I've never heard these Swan M200's (http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=80), but they were lighting up the boards a few years back when they were first introduced. You might want to check them out.

http://image2.beareyes.com.cn/2/lib/200011/16/068/1.jpg

If, otoh, you don't mind getting a speaker/amp combo, I'd suggest a nice integrated such as a Cambridge Audio 340A which can be had for around $250 (negotiate, it can be done) paired with a set of Athena B1.2's ($99 on audioadvisor.com!), Epos ELS3, Paradigm Titans, or perhaps NHT Zero's. All have their strength and weakness', although I think the Athena's are your best bet based on price and for what you listen to.

Hope this helps.

drseid
07-06-2007, 03:51 PM
Hey guys and gals,

im in the market for a set of good speakers with a price range of =/< $500 and i wonder if i can get some advice.

i need a smaller set, either studio monitors or bookshelfs. The room is small so i dont want towers. They will be used in a studio-type setting, but i want them mainly for everyday listening purposes, not entirely recording. From what i hear monitors aren't the greatest for everyday listening producing a flat, boring sound?
I need them smaller so they can sit on a desk and be used on a PC, so smaller is good, but i will sacrifice size for the right system.
I've looked at everything and am kind of lost on what to get. I would prefer the amp to be built in so i dont have to worry about matching up amps and ohms etc, i really dont know too much about it.
the type of music will be hip-hop and r&b, whether this makes a difference or not, im not sure.

thanks for any replies and for any help

matt

If you are willing to buy used, I recommend going to audiogon.com and searching for a used pair of Spendor 3/5s. These smallish studio monitors will do a very fine job for both your listening and recording needs. Used these should be in the $400-$500 range.

If new is your only bet, then maybe some entry mini-monitors from Rega. I believe they have a price tag of $525/pr.

---Dave

arskwared
07-06-2007, 05:04 PM
thanks for all the help guys
i did my research and ended up purchasing a set of Snell Tyle Q loudspeakers for $350CDN taxes in (cash deal). good deal?
temporarily, i have them hooked up to an old amp and they're sounding good, but i obviously need more power, so now comes the question of which amp to pair up with it.
the place i got it from is gonna keep an eye out for me, but i you cant always rely on others lol.

any responses are much appreciated