Looking for some well recorded kick ass rock...anybody got anything [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some well recorded kick ass rock...anybody got anything

Mike
07-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Been enjoying the recent releases by Ryan Adams and Crowded House but as good as they are they are pretty mellow. I've realised I haven't bought a rock cd in quite a while, must be getting old.

Anybody recommend anything, a decent recording would be a bonus.

Cheers
Mike

Slosh
07-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Anything from Shellac would qualify, especially on 180 gram vinyl. If that's not to your taste and you don't have A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms, grab it. All the other APC albums suck ass though but the debut is a keeper. If you like more recent Porcupine Tree you should be okay with this one.

Non-metal/hardcore but still up tempo - Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga sounds great and the music holds up its end too.

Duds
07-03-2007, 06:06 AM
good pick on Mer De Noms, but i totally disagree about 13th Step sucking ass. it's a great album as well.

check out the new Clutch cd, "From Beale Street to Oblivion"

Anything from Shellac would qualify, especially on 180 gram vinyl. If that's not to your taste and you don't have A Perfect Circle - Mer De Noms, grab it. All the other APC albums suck ass though but the debut is a keeper. If you like more recent Porcupine Tree you should be okay with this one.

Non-metal/hardcore but still up tempo - Spoon's Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga sounds great and the music holds up its end too.

Finch Platte
07-03-2007, 06:07 AM
...this kicks bum. http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drf500/f571/f57187ma6lq.jpg

Monkey Bones
07-03-2007, 08:29 AM
One that has been knocking me out lately and that I recommended in Sloshy's recent thread is by Morphine, Cure For Pain. Not very recent, in fact almost 15 years old now, but ya gottta go back aways to get any pop or rock that is well recorded and mastered because the industry has been handed over to the idiots, and it is all severely compressed, and then maximized, and then repeated, until there is no life, just a constant barrage of sound.

Anyway, this one was recorded by Paul Q. Kolderie at Fort Apache, a pretty well known studio and engineer. He also did records like Radiohead's The Bends and the Pixies debut EP and some Uncle Tupelo and a bunch of others. If you like sax with your rock, this thing kicks some ass. Here's an excerpt from the SoundStage! audiophile ezine ...

Greg Smith (gsmith@westnet.com)

Morphine – Cure for Pain [Rykodisc RCD 10262]

Walking around audio shows as a member of the press occasionally yields temptation from the manufacturers. When I first met the guys from Blue Circle and Merlin at HI-FI '97, they offered me Morphine. And you thought Roy Hall's scotch was addictive. Cure for Pain is a really catchy, upbeat release that's hard to classify. It's definitely rock, but with influences from jazz to funk. One of the most unique parts of the sound is the saxophone playing of Dana Colley. It used to drive me crazy trying to figure out how the hell he got some of the weird blends of sound he was producing. One of my musician friends who'd seen the band live clued me in -- he plays two saxophones at the same time! You won't easily confuse these guys with anybody else, I tell you that much. Morphine is lots of fun to listen to, and the recording deserves playback on a show-quality system. Just don't expect it to be covered by your HMO.

ForeverAutumn
07-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Threshold - Dead Reckoning. Excellent prog metal with lots lof hooks. Its accessible and could even get radio play if radio listeners had any taste.

You probably already have it...but the second Arctic Monkey's disk is very good and recommended for some good all-out rocking.

How's the Crowded House disk? It won't be released here until next week.

Monkey Bones
07-03-2007, 09:13 AM
BTW, can't let this one go without a mention, even though it's not a hard rocking affair, but Shearwater recently signed to Matador Records, and as their first release, they expanded and re-recorded some of last years very good Palo Santo into a great 2007 2-LP (or 2-CD) deluxe set that might be best of the year, if it counts. On sale for practically giveaway prices over the holiday at selected outlets. Check their site (borrowed image below), supposed to be under $10 (although most sites now charge at least $4 for shipping). Picked up the 2-CD set myself recently from deepdiscount for $11.77 postpaid, along with the latest from the always loveable Moonbabies.

From insound ...

Austin's Shearwater debut on Matador with a completely refurbished edition of their critically acclaimed 2006 album. They re-recorded five of the eleven tracks and added new cover art, deluxe packaging, plus a bonus LP containing eight additional tracks. The music is a soaring, vast, multi-instrumental song-cycle. The vocals and songwriting recall bands as diverse as Roxy Music/Bryan Ferry and late Talk Talk, but this is unabashedly rock music, anchored by Thor Harris's mighty Bonhamesque drums.

"Almost impossibly majestic and beautiful" - #1 CD of 2006, Stephen Thompson, NPR.

http://www.shearwatermusic.com/images/shearwater_july_pcard_REV4.jpg

SlumpBuster
07-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Morphine, Cure For Pain.

I miss Morphine. Such a sad early demise.

For "kick ass" I recommend anything from Buckcherry. Sleazy low brow LA rock. Like Motley Crue with less class and more charisma. Yeah its sophmoric and offensive, but its deliciously sophmoric and offensive.

http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/51cm3vMK5ML._AA240_.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b250/Temirs/Buckcherry/BuckcherryJoshTodd15.jpg

Dave_G
07-05-2007, 08:16 AM
Well I don't know what kind of music like but here a few of mine that I would call what you described...

1) Thin Lizzy - Thunder and Lightning

2) Deep Purple - Machine Head

3) Saga - Trust

4) Cheap Trick - In Color

5) UFO - Walk on Water

Regards,

Dave

Mike
07-05-2007, 10:28 AM
Thanks all for the choice sounds, plenty to check out. Dave I think I have a Morphine album kicking around somewhere not sure which one it is though I'll have to dig it out.

Hey FA I think you'll like the latest from Crowded House, very reminiscent of Woodface. But with internet shopping do record companies still bother with delayed distribution I hadn't realised. No wonder bricks and mortar names like HMV are going under.

Cheers
Mike

dingus
07-06-2007, 08:01 PM
how about "Scream In Blue" and "Flat Chat" by Midnight Oil? the prior is a collection of serious kick-ass live tracks, the former is a collection of remastered "lesser known" studio cuts.

btw, i got my new Crowded House cd today (pre-order sale). on first listen it sounds much more like Neil Finn's solo work than a Crowded House album. gonna have to give it several more listens before passing final judgement.

BradH
07-07-2007, 01:55 AM
how about "Scream In Blue" and "Flat Chat" by Midnight Oil?

Hey, what is a Flat Chat anyway?

I remember "Flat chat, pine gap, in every home a Big Mac" from "The Power And The Passion". I used to wear that 10,9,8 album out.

I figured you might know being a Midnight Oil fan.

dingus
07-07-2007, 04:37 PM
Hey, what is a Flat Chat anyway? ...
other than the same lyric you're familiar with, i havent the slightest, must be Aussie speak of some sort.