Crazy Question, It might be my Ears! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Question, It might be my Ears!

bobbybob1
07-01-2007, 06:52 PM
Old Luxman Integrated Amp, on tuner or cassett deck when I go all the way left and
right balance it sounds equal volume through my speakers. When I play a CD and
do it the volume is louder through one speaker. Any thoughts? Thanks and Happy
4th of July!

Feanor
07-02-2007, 03:08 AM
Old Luxman Integrated Amp, on tuner or cassett deck when I go all the way left and
right balance it sounds equal volume through my speakers. When I play a CD and
do it the volume is louder through one speaker. Any thoughts? Thanks and Happy
4th of July!

The bad new is there is a problem; the good new is that you know that it's in the input circuitry for the CD input and likely nowhere else.

Repairs could be relatively cheap and easy, or impossible, depending on the vintage and design of this particular unit. Older units can be easier to repair sometimes, because they use descrete components instead of integrated circuits that might be no longer manufacture today. The fact that your unit has a "CD" label input indicates that it is likely from the early-mid 80's at the earliest -- around the time when integrated circuits where becoming prevalent.

Mr Peabody
07-22-2007, 10:18 PM
To test Bill's theory plug your tuner into the "cd" input to see if you have the same problem, if so, then it's the input and as Bill mentioned will need some attention. If not, then I would try a new set of cables. If that don't cure it, then it's the CD player, and again, will need some attention. But you should play around to isolate where the problem is. Your amp is a Luxman, so I'd say it's most likely still discrete circuits.

pixelthis
07-26-2007, 01:24 AM
And plug your CD player into your aux or tuner.
It might be a loose cable also, you'd be suprized how often that happens.
And congrats on your luxman, they really knew how to make an amp