basement vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : basement vinyl

Rae
07-01-2007, 01:20 PM
So once a month, Hymie's Vintage Vinyl opens up their basement (the inspiration for the fine, fine Fog & Why? collaboration (http://www.myspace.com/hymiesbasementmyspace)) and lets the buying public sort through all of their overstock for a buck per record. Can you believe that I'd never gone before yesterday? I ended up with thirty six discs added to my collection... no eye-popping scores but also nothing that seemed like a bad find, given the price, including:

The Del Fuegos - Boston, Mass. LP
These guys were new to me but I thought I'd take a chance. Maybe I should've put their name in the thread title and seen if anyone else is into them... I like it. Not blown away, but I could see them having some appeal to fans of the 'Mats and other scruffy rockers of the same era. "Don't Run Wild" sounds kinda familiar.

Nina Simone - Wild is the Wind LP
This was really nice to find. I didn't actually have any Nina Simone in my collection previously, although I know a lot of these songs, particularly "Four Women". Really solid on both sides.

Dakota Staton - Crazy He Calls Me LP
Awesome! Never heard Ms. Staton before, but this is upbeat, very catchy, and with little filler.

The Vogues - Greatest Hits LP
Should be called "Greatest Hit". Sorry, but everything seems schmaltzy except the glorious "Five O'Clock World."

as well as Bruce Springsteen - The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle LP (great!!), Archie Bell & the Drells - 'Tighten Up' 45 (also great!!), Led Zeppelin - II LP, The Knack - Get the Knack LP, Smoking Popes - 'I Know You Love Me' b/w 'Need You Around' 10", Santa Esmerelda - 'Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood' 45, Phil Ochs - Tape from California LP, Joe Jackson Band - Beat Crazy LP, The Outlaws - Greatest Hits LP, Stevie Wonder - Innervisions 2LP, Joan Baez - In Concert LP, Johnny Cash - Greatest Hits, Volume 1 LP, Stevie Wonder - My Cherie Amour LP, Ella Fitzgerald - Sings the Gershwin Songbook LP, Ray Charles - Have a Smile With Me LP, Duane Eddy - $1,000,000 Worth of Twang LP, Neil Young - Harvest LP, Harry Belafonte - Calypso LP, Roberta Flack - First Take LP, Mahalia Jackson - Live at Newport 1958 LP, Youssou N'Dour - The Lion LP, Icicle Works - s/t LP, Manhattan O.S.T. LP, Lou Rawls - Live! LP, Simon & Garfunkel - Wednesday Morning, Three AM LP, Led Zeppelin - IV LP, Harry Belafonte - Returns to Carnegie Hall 2LP, Michael Jackson - Thriller LP, The Who - Who's Next LP, The Four Tops - Greatest Hits (Motown) LP, and at least a couple more that I'm blanking on right now.

~Rae

JDaniel
07-03-2007, 06:39 PM
Nice haul amigo. Except maybe for "Thriller", and the Four Tops.

$36 = 36 lps, for the price of 2 new cds. That's why I love record shopping/collecting.

JD

jrhymeammo
07-03-2007, 06:58 PM
Nice score Rae!!

I love Nina as much as anybody else, but I never really discovered her music until I got her stuff on vinyl. My very first Nina was Wild is the Wind. I never cared for it and I still dont, but I love all the albums I have on wax.
If you ever see Forbidden Fruit just grab it.
My very first Nina on wax and is my favoirte, plus she was meant to be heard on wax in my opinion.

How is First Take by Roberta Flack? It took me a long time to find a copy, and it was truly worth the wait. Since then I've found about 5 copies..but a clean copy is hard to come by.

Peace,

nobody
07-04-2007, 07:18 AM
First Take is a great album with amazing sound as well.

Lots of fun stuff there. Nothing I like better than stacks of cheap vinyl. Gotta get me out to the next record show around here.

jrhymeammo
07-04-2007, 07:23 AM
Great Call D.
http://www.recordshowsofamerica.com/index.html

If I could go to one in St. Louis, but no go. But I'm pretty sure I'm going to one in Cincy on the 15th.

record stores are closed today.. oh well.

JRA

nobody
07-04-2007, 07:55 AM
Cool link...just made me realize the next one is this weekend...but I gotta be outta town. Guess I'll be waiting a couple months.

Rae
07-04-2007, 11:00 AM
Nice haul amigo. Except maybe for "Thriller", and the Four Tops...

You don't like the Four Tops? Hmm. Both of these were pretty familiar to me already and are sure to get the occasional play. The copy of Thriller might as well be straight out of the shrinkwrap.

How is First Take by Roberta Flack? It took me a long time to find a copy, and it was truly worth the wait. Since then I've found about 5 copies..but a clean copy is hard to come by.

Yeah, this is definitely a good distance from being called a clean copy. Still sounds all right, though. I previously knew the tune "Compared to What" from the Swiss Movement collaboration between Eddie Harris and Les McCann (who contributes adulatory liners to First Take) and gotta say that I vastly prefer that "hot" version to Ms. Flack's slow burn, but the rest of it is really fine.

One of the ones I couldn't remember earlier was Marvin Gaye - What's Going On. For a buck!

~Rae