Wilco's Sky Blue Sky is their best album ever. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Wilco's Sky Blue Sky is their best album ever.

ForeverAutumn
06-30-2007, 10:00 AM
And possibly the best release of 2007 so far.

Discuss...

Monkey Bones
06-30-2007, 10:19 AM
Wilco's Sky Blue Sky is their best album ever....Discuss...
ForeverAutumn's latest post is her silliest ever, but I do like that song in the VW commercial.

Slosh
06-30-2007, 10:19 AM
No, it's not.

A Ghost Is Born>Summerteeth>Yankee Hotel Foxtrot>Being There>A.M.>Sky Blue Sky

...but I still like it.

FWIW Armchair Apocrypha is the best album of '07 (so far).

NP:

Swish
06-30-2007, 10:35 AM
And possibly the best release of 2007 so far.

Discuss...

...actually, he told me that several weeks ago, and I told him the same thing I'll tell you.
NOT!

Hey, I like it just fine, but I think it's relatively weak compared to a few others they've done, especially YHF, Being There, and Summerteeth. Just my opinion of course, but I'm known far and wide as an expert opinion maker, so I gotta take my side. :wink5:

G Swish

3-LockBox
06-30-2007, 11:46 AM
I am not a big enough fan of Wilco to tout one album over another with any confidence, but I do like this album better than the last two. this is a much more consistant release...just like a good ol' Gerry Rafferty album, who of which Jeff Tweedy is a wannabe.

3-LockBox
06-30-2007, 11:47 AM
heh heh

Swish
06-30-2007, 12:18 PM
just like a good ol' Gerry Rafferty album, who of which Jeff Tweedy is a wannabe.

In the grand scheme of things, Gerry Rafferty will be long forgotten while Jeff will take his place among the greats.

Oh, you were only joking? Never mind then.

G Swish

Monkey Bones
06-30-2007, 12:45 PM
In the grand scheme of things, Gerry Rafferty will be long forgotten while Jeff will take his place among the greats.

Oh, you were only joking? Never mind then.

G Swish
Stuck in the middle with you! Hey, you must be forgetting Stealers Wheel? Seriously though, love that Tweedy vibe, but Baker Street is a pretty cool song. Foo Fighters did a cool version too.

ForeverAutumn
07-01-2007, 06:05 AM
No, it's not.

A Ghost Is Born>Summerteeth>Yankee Hotel Foxtrot>Being There>A.M.>Sky Blue Sky

...but I still like it.

NP:

Flip Sky Blue Sky and A Ghost is Born and take out Being There because I haven't heard that one yet and our lists would be the same.

ForeverAutumn
07-01-2007, 06:07 AM
Well, my best bud Bob agrees with you...

Your best bud Bob has excellent taste.

Rae
07-01-2007, 01:39 PM
...take out Being There because I haven't heard that one yet...

Well, you hardly seem qualified to be making this proclamation, then... ;-)

Haven't heard Sky Blue Sky & don't know when I'll get around to it. I just haven't been in much of a Wilco mood in the last few years. Didn't really listen to A Ghost Is Born much either, although a friend of mine always calls it A Ghost Is Boring, which still cracks me up for some reason. Maybe I burned myself out on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot? Used to be quite into them before then. Being There is still probably my favorite, although I'll never understand why everyone rags on A.M. so much. It's not that bad! How long has it been since you guys've listened to "I Must Be High"?

~Rae

Slosh
07-01-2007, 01:55 PM
I didn't really get into Ghost until I seen them perform "Hell Is Chrome" on Austin City Limits - then it all kinda hit me at once. I like A.M. just fine, as I do Sky. Mediocre Wilco is kinda like mediocre sex (or pizza). Still gives much satisfaction and there are worse ways to spend your time.

Rae
07-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Mediocre Wilco is kinda like mediocre sex (or pizza). Still gives much satisfaction and there are worse ways to spend your time.

They should put that on a sticker on the Sky Blue Sky album cover.

~Rae

ForeverAutumn
07-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Well, you hardly seem qualified to be making this proclamation, then... ;-)

You do have a point, I suppose. How's this then...

Wilco's Sky Blue Sky is their best album ever (excluding Being There and Kicking Television).

Discuss...

3-LockBox
07-01-2007, 09:03 PM
Gerry rafferty has put out some great music since the Baker Street days, one of them just a few years ago - well, 5 or 6 years ago

Yeah I was just yankin your chain.

nobody
07-02-2007, 06:45 AM
I like Sky Blue Sky quite a lot, but Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is still my favorite. I like the way the moodier stuff is broken up with more concise poppy stuff on YHF. Ghost Is Born never clicked with me at all, the Ghost is Boring tag seems right to me. I heard the older ones in pieces 'cause I was more disappointed in not getting more Uncle Teuplo at that point than happy to be getting Wilco records. I should probably revisit that period.

And, speaking of Gerry Rafferty, City to City is a great album, right after Baker Street, Right Down The Line is another good song on there.

Bernd
07-02-2007, 07:46 AM
I like it too. A great release. :)

Peace

:16:

Snowbunny
07-04-2007, 06:01 PM
YHF is one of my top ten albums of all time.

Sadly, I did not know they had released a new one. :frown2:

Thanks for the heads-up, Autumn.

Snowbunny
07-04-2007, 06:06 PM

NP:

I second that emotion. :yesnod:

Some jerk-off kept teasing me by posting the link to and then deleting it before I could download it. Had to buy my own copy. :rolleyes5:

In the interest of all the old-timers on the board, please use at least a size 2 font in the future. :prrr:

Snowie

ForeverAutumn
07-04-2007, 06:52 PM
YHF is one of my top ten albums of all time.

Sadly, I did not know they had released a new one. :frown2:

Thanks for the heads-up, Autumn.

Hey Snowb! Good to see you're still around. My opinion on this matter seems to be the minority here, so don't take my word for it.

Snowbunny
07-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey Snowb! Good to see you're still around. My opinion on this matter seems to be the minority here, so don't take my word for it.

I don't know. You seem to have developed very sophisticated taste in music. I'll forgive you your fondness for a certain Geddy Lee cause I'm a good Canadian too! Hope you (and the other canuckleheads) had a great First of July!

Snowie