Any Cartridge Gurus here? Need help... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any Cartridge Gurus here? Need help...

trollgirl
06-30-2007, 09:04 AM
I recently acquired a Dual CS 1268 cheap and in great shape. I figured out how to drop the cartridge carrier and cartridge out of the headshell, something I never figured out on the CS 530 I had before. The cartridge is an Ortofon VMS 30 MK II, which was top of the line at one time, from what I have been able to find out on the www. As you might guess, the stylus cantilever is badly bent. Does anyone know if this unit is worth a new stylus, or should I go to something more modern? I have a Shure M105E and an M97E with an N97HE stylus. Would either of those be better?? I also have an Audio Technica AT12Sa which has [I think] a Shibata stylus. The rest of my collection is junk or broken...

Laz

hifitommy
06-30-2007, 11:15 AM
and see if there is an affordable replacement stylus for the orto. you may be happy with the AT or one of the shures and not have to spend any more money. fool around with what you have first.

jim goulding
07-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Hi. Hifitommy gave you some good advice if you want to repair what yu've got. Tell me, how could you not love a guy that looks like that. Hip but gentile. Honest. Actually, he was kind to me when I joined AR. I'll sell you a Grado Sonata Statement with about 50 hours on it worst case. You can read reviews in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. It makes the best components list every year. It was $500 plus tax retail. How's about $300plus shipping. I got an old Koetsu MC that I'm going replace it with on a relatively new deck. It has high output and is a moving iron design. Grado owns he patent. Bet you didn't know he owns the patent on the moving coil design, too. His son runs the company now.

Would include the wooden box. It has a wood body, by the way. Papers, too.

canuckle
07-15-2007, 06:35 PM
There's little point to buying a stylus when a whole new cartridge won't cost you much more. You'll likely be happier with the Shure you've got or have a look at the internet-community-favorite AT440MLa available for cheap here (http://www.lpgear.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LG&Product_Code=ATC05&Category_Code=A3).

hifitommy
07-15-2007, 08:16 PM
buying a stylus would eliminate the need to mount another cartridge. i think the at440MLa would be a good move if a replacement stylus werent readily available. i had the regular 440 and liked it but the MLa is reputed not to be as bright. were i not well stocked, i would like to try one.

trollgirl
07-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Hi. Hifitommy gave you some good advice if you want to repair what yu've got. Tell me, how could you not love a guy that looks like that. Hip but gentile. Honest. Actually, he was kind to me when I joined AR. I'll sell you a Grado Sonata Statement with about 50 hours on it worst case. You can read reviews in Stereophile and The Absolute Sound. It makes the best components list every year. It was $500 plus tax retail. How's about $300plus shipping. I got an old Koetsu MC that I'm going replace it with on a relatively new deck. It has high output and is a moving iron design. Grado owns he patent. Bet you didn't know he owns the patent on the moving coil design, too. His son runs the company now.

Would include the wooden box. It has a wood body, by the way. Papers, too.

Actually, I remember reading the interview where he said some Japanese bought the moving-coil patent, and the market was soon flooded with the new, best-thing-ever Jap moving-coil designs. I also recall that he did not think too much of that particular design.

Thanks all, for your advice, especially the mention of the AT440MLa. It's good to hear that an AT design can be less than bright. All the ones I have heard have been a bit shrill.

In the end, I have decided to sell the Dual and get on with my DIY tonearm project. The Dual will be graced with something from my collection. Speaking of which, would anyone like an Audioquest moving coil in need of a re-tip? You can have it for shipping. It was lying on the floor near the Pioneer TT which is the basis of my DIY project.

Laz

jrhymeammo
07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
:shocked:

JRA

JohnMichael
07-31-2007, 07:24 AM
:shocked:

JRA

I just noticed. Would you like me to edit?

jrhymeammo
07-31-2007, 03:46 PM
NAH!! Dat don effect da ol' J. Got my eyes on him now though.

JRA