Where have I been, Marantz not Phillips anymore [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Where have I been, Marantz not Phillips anymore

Mr Peabody
06-30-2007, 08:41 AM
I knew a few years back that Denon and Marantz HT receivers were coming from the same factory but I did not know that Phillips was no longer affiliated with Marantz for almost 6 years. I have not found out yet exactly who Marantz is now. There is a Marantz America and Marantz Japan, I'm assuming they are basically the same company. I wonder who the parent company is or if they became their own company.

elapsed
06-30-2007, 09:05 AM
D&M Holdings Inc. was created in May 2002 when the operations of Denon Ltd. and Marantz Japan Inc. merged-hence the name D&M Holdings.

Following the merger, D&M Holdings continued its strategy of buying premium electronics companies and positioning them as global market share leaders through the introduction of world-class management practices and access to both financial assets and global distribution systems. D&M acquired McIntosh Laboratory, Escient and ReplayTV in 2003. Boston Acoustics and its sister brand, Snell Acoustics, were purchased in 2005 and Philips Sound Solutions, now called D&M Premium Sound Solutions, was acquired in 2007.
Source: http://www.dm-holdings.com/About_History.asp

basite
06-30-2007, 10:44 AM
indeed, D&M holdings, the same company that bought Mcintosh :D
that's a good sign too :)

Keep them spinning,
Bert.

Mr Peabody
06-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the info. Last I heard Mac was owned by Clarion. Does D&M own all of Phillips or just the sound side? I wonder who is making the Phillips brand TV's.

elapsed
06-30-2007, 03:39 PM
LG and Philips have a joint venture for LCD production. Currently LG owns 37.9% of the company and Philips owns 32.9%. This venture is one of the largest producer of LCD's in the world. ;)

http://www.lgphilips-lcd.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LG.Philips_LCD

Woochifer
07-02-2007, 03:22 PM
D&M/Marantz doesn't have anything to do with Philips anymore. Since the early-80s, the Marantz name was used to rebadge Philips' AV equipment, while it simultaneously was used to brand Superscope's professional equipment (Superscope was the company bought out Saul Marantz in the first place, and was the operating subsidiary for Marantz Japan, while Philips owned Marantz America). It's kinda confusing, but my understanding is that D&M Holdings simultaneously bought the rights to both Marantz's consumer and professional lines and operates both divisions themselves. They now operate a joint manufacturing facility in Japan that's shared with Denon (and presumably can be used for D&M Holdings' other companies as well).

Mr Peabody
07-02-2007, 06:43 PM
I was referring to D&M's most recent purchase this year of Phillips Sound Solutions. I don't know if this is any relation to Phillips, Marantz's former associate or not.

basite
07-10-2007, 06:20 AM
Thanks for the info. Last I heard Mac was owned by Clarion.

a few years back, D&M holdings also bought Mac, I think they're better of now :)