PDA

View Full Version : iPhone...

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 07:42 PM
No TI devices inside... Hope it breaks! :incazzato:

Blue Meanie
07-01-2007, 03:40 AM
No TI devices inside... Hope it breaks! :incazzato:

If I had one, it would break. 2 days after the warranty runs out.

Jeff

bubbagump
07-01-2007, 05:04 PM
I like Apple products and have owned a few macs and iPods. One thing I've learned is to never buy a first gen Apple product. I checked out the iPhone on Saturday. They even had a few in stock with another 10 arriving that day. Steve Jobs got it right when he said this is the next gen iPod first (implying that it also happens to be and is secondarily a phone). In that context, it's a really cool device. As a phone/communicator, it has a couple problems: it doesn't have a swappable battery. If this is a primary phone, being tied to and having to wait for a charger is a deal breaker. It's not a 3G device and in spite of unofficial reports, you can't buy an unlocked version (although I think it's been hacked already). I don't think you can lock down/encrypt address book/contacts database and you can't tap into corporate intranets for email access - unlike the Blackberry. Apple's touting the internet browsing capability but to read you will constantly be scrolling back and forth to see the webpage. If Apple addresses these issues with the 2.0 version, I might have to buy one. On the updside, it's smaller than I thought it would be. It has a beautiful screen and UI. Movies look good and aren't as eyestraining to watch as I thought they would be.

nightflier
07-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Ahem, Apple or not, never buy ver1.0 of anything. And with Apple you have to remember that everything is closed and proprietary. Missing 3G support is no surprise, and unless you hack the OS (with all its consequent miseries), you will be tied to a series of proprietary and expensive add-on products to get the functionality many of us have come to expect. The one to watch, I'm afraid is the best and most accurate clone from whatever competitor manages not to get sued for it.

topspeed
07-03-2007, 09:36 AM
I played with one of these things over the weekend. While it is very cool looking (what Apple product isn't?), it's more of a toy than a serious device. Phones are now fashion accessories, and in that respect the iPhone succeeds famously. As an iPod, my Nano is far more wieldly in the gym. As a web browser, it's better than any other smart phone...although YMMV depending on your local speed. As a phone (you know, it's primary purpose given its title), touch screen dialing is the third sign of the apocalypse.

Bottom line: No voice dial, No care.

Rich-n-Texas
07-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I played with one of these things over the weekend. While it is very cool looking (what Apple product isn't?), it's more of a toy than a serious device. Phones are now fashion accessories, and in that respect the iPhone succeeds famously. As an iPod, my Nano is far more wieldly in the gym. As a web browser, it's better than any other smart phone...although YMMV depending on your local speed. As a phone (you know, it's primary purpose given its title), touch screen dialing is the third sign of the apocalypse.

Bottom line: No voice dial, No care.
We here at Texas Instruments thank you for your support. :ihih: