Symphony X - Paradise Lost [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Symphony X - Paradise Lost

kexodusc
06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
I think I'm probalby the only Symphony X fan here but whatever.

Just picked this up - Paradise Lost is a very good disc from start to finish by this very capable prog-metal act.

It's been awhile since they've released anything so I had high expectations. I tend to like every 2nd Symphony X album a lot (kinda like Star Trek movies). I wasn't disappointed.

Biggest thing I've noticed is the different approach to vocals that Russell Allen delivers. He's a bit more, well, focused I guess, using a blend of his typical shrieking metal-growl (not to be confused with the Cookie Monster growl) and just well placed, powerful melodic singing. I'm not a huge fan of the metal growl, but it doesn't take away from the music as much as, say, Opeth's cookie/hellraiser growls. Allen picks and chooses his spots well.

Romeo's guitar work is as good as ever, but he seems to wank less and focus just a wee bit more on the rythmic parts and overall harmony of his bits. Smarter guitar I guess. The songs have stronger melodies maybe than previous efforts, and there's even some good ballads.

I won't say it's their best, too early for that. But this is gonna challenge for metal album of the year. It's that damn good, and never gets boring!

The cool digi-pack album cover is somewhat typical of the mystical-epic angels and demon themes a lot of metal acts seem to incorporate (still) but it's actually pretty neat.
http://www.symphonyx.com/downloads/PLfullcover.jpg
Best of all the songs are great, and never go too far off on any musical escapades.

This tends to fall a bit more on the classic-metal side of Prog-metal for those wondering, definitely with the speedier US influence - a little more Dio, Pantera and Slayer, but a little less cheesy than, say, Iced Earth. But if you like adventurous metal, this disc won't disappoint. Great album for your workout or morning jog!