Another great vinyl release - Polyphonic Spree [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another great vinyl release - Polyphonic Spree

SlumpBuster
06-29-2007, 09:11 AM
nobody's recommendation of Icky Thump was well appreciated. I picked it up last weekend along with the vinyl version of Polyphonic Spree's - The Fragile Army and finally got a chance to spin it last night..

Now for the record, I hate recommending music because I'm convinced that noone else will like it an blame me for the waste of money. But, I saw Audiogirl recommend The Fragile Army in another thread, so I know I'm not the only fan.

For those that don't know, the Spree (as it is sometimes called) was formed by founding members of Tripping Daisy following that bands dissolution in 2000 and the untimely death of thier guitarist in 1999. Tripping Daisy was a truly great band from the nineties with one minor hit - I Got A Girl - but a catalogue of four outstanding alt rock records. One of my all time favorite bands.

According to interviews with Tom DeLaughter, lead singer of the Spree and Tripping Daisy, the Spree was formed in part as a reaction to the grief of loosing their friend. The Spree is unlike any other band with 20 to 27 members at any time in flowing robes (now black uniforms) with horns and choirs and soaring melodies. The closest thing I could relate it to is ELO, but that is misleading. Here is a pic of the Polyphonic Spree performing:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/47/ThePolyphonicSpree.jpg/800px-

The vinyl version is released on 180gram virgin two record set. A little pricey at $20, but included is a card for a free high quality digital down load of the record. The recording and mastering is top notch. The album may represent a good opportunity for a vinyl fan to get into an unusual band. Check out their website for free tastes: www.thepolyphonicspree.com