Currency exchange and music - a rant [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Currency exchange and music - a rant

ForeverAutumn
06-29-2007, 05:51 AM
So the Canadian dollar is only worth $0.06 less than the American dollar right now. So why is it that the new Spoon CD is $17.99 on Amazon.ca and only $10.99 on Amazon.com.

Something seems amiss!!!

:incazzato:

kexodusc
06-29-2007, 06:03 AM
So the Canadian dollar is only worth $0.06 less than the American dollar right now. So why is it that the new Spoon CD is $17.99 on Amazon.ca and only $10.99 on Amazon.com.

Something seems amiss!!!

:incazzato:

Yeah, there's some CD's that are actually cheaper in $C than $USD, but usually there's a spiff of a couple of dollars here though. I suppose distribution/manufacturing costs a bit more here since Canada only produces 1/10 as much or whatever. There's also that premium charge the Government applies to CD's to compensate artists for downloaded music incorporated into the price. And a levy to support Canadian artists. Welcome to the Republic of Canadahstan.

If you were buying a computer to download music with, you'd save money though.

elapsed
06-29-2007, 06:04 AM
$10.99 USD = $11.67 CAD

FutureShop has the new album for only $13.99 CAD. Considering that the US has 10x the market of Canada, I think $2 isn't such a bad premium to pay.

On the other hand, Best Buy Canada has the album listed for $21.99. Best Buy owns FutureShop. Try to explain that one! I think this has more to do with markup than it does with currency exchange.

Monkey Bones
06-29-2007, 07:54 AM
So why is it that the new Spoon CD is $17.99 on Amazon.ca and only $10.99 on Amazon.com.
Yay for underpaid and overworked Americans! And thanks for the heads up, IndieGirl!

Shipping Method: FREE Super Saver Shipping
Subtotal of Items: $28.47
Shipping & Handling: $4.96
Super Saver Discount -$4.96

------
Total for this Order: $28.47

Shipping estimate for these items: July 14, 2007
Delivery estimate: July 17, 2007 - July 19, 2007

"The Reminder"
Feist; Audio CD; $7.49

"Our Love to Admire"
Interpol; Audio CD; $9.99

"Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga (Limited Edition Bonus Disc)"
Spoon; Audio CD; $10.99

ForeverAutumn
06-29-2007, 09:24 AM
Yay for underpaid and overworked Americans! And thanks for the heads up, IndieGirl!

I don't think that I've ever been called that before. In fact, I know that I haven't. My how I've grown. :)

"The Reminder"
Feist; Audio CD; $7.49

That Feist CD is $12.96 at Amazon.ca. The cost is 73% higher in Canada AND SHE'S CANADIAN!!!

:mad2:

ForeverAutumn
06-29-2007, 09:29 AM
$10.99 USD = $11.67 CAD

FutureShop has the new album for only $13.99 CAD. Considering that the US has 10x the market of Canada, I think $2 isn't such a bad premium to pay.

On the other hand, Best Buy Canada has the album listed for $21.99. Best Buy owns FutureShop. Try to explain that one! I think this has more to do with markup than it does with currency exchange.

They're often not in sinc with each other. I think that it's how they get people to shop at both stores. But it's usually only a difference of a couple of dollars.

3-LockBox
06-29-2007, 02:47 PM
Because its business...your used to paying 30%-40% over the American prices and they're not gonna let you off the hook just cuz the Canandian dollar is stronger. They're assh0less that way.

I go through the same thing in the Pacific Northwest because of the old pioneer days when everything cost a premium to get out here. We still pay 20%-30% more across the board for everything - cars, phone service, cable - you name it. The internet took a bite out the market around here so now they have to compete, but it is aggrevating how badly businesses try to take advantage of people.