Time to pull a CD out of your ass! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time to pull a CD out of your ass!

Davey
02-22-2004, 01:45 PM
OK, it's time for the yearly (semi-annually?) (bi-yearly?) (almost never?) (once in a blue moon?) pull a CD out of your ass and help Davey fill out his order at Circuit City dot com. Right now I have two CDs in the basket, the Leona Naess I just asked about yesterday and an official copy of the latest Moonbabies CD to replace my way overplayed CD-R copy that the other resident Moonbabies fan sent me. So I wanna get just one more cause I like to order in threes. And don't bother trying to figure out why I like to order in threes, it's just one of those unexplainable quirks that we all have....I mean, you all do have quirks too, right? Lots of stuff on my wishlist, but that's too easy. Hit me with something unexpected! Of course, if they don't got it at CC, then I won't likely be ordering it this time, but give it try anyway. I'll add it to the list if it sounds good. Extra points for cheapness!

1. Leona Naess
Naess,Leona
CD $9.95

2. Orange Billboard
Moonbabies
CD $12.99

3. Your pick could be here

PS and just for the record: I'm enjoying a Hollande 1620 Lager right now while watching the rain come down and listening to Over The Rhine's <i>Ohio</i>, disc 2. And before that it was Beck's <i>Sea Change</i> which is still not one of my faves. And before that it was Richard Davies' <i>Barbarians</i> which is very nice, although not as fully developed as the excellent <i>Telegraph</i> that preceded it. And a little Andre3000 before that, but I'm still not totally sold on <i>The Love Below</i>. Definitely not one that I listen to over and over. But the sun is starting to break through now - rainbow time - never rains for very long or even very hard down here - at least not during my stay. Time to hit the ground and maybe go for a run :)

tentoze
02-22-2004, 02:19 PM
3. Your pick could be here

:)

I say go for John Vanderslice's Cellar Door- quirky, very cool- be the 1st on yr block.

(Raining in Vegas today as well)

dld
02-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Easy, get the Flatlanders Wheels Of Fortune. No brainer. Joe Ely, Jimmy Dale Gilmour, and Butch Hancock. Gilmour's quavering soprano voice (or is that Hancock?) is the perfect accompaniement to the beautiful (and very subtly used) musical saw on several songs. One or two odd inclusions here or there, I'm Gonna Strangle You Shorty could have been left on the cutting room floor. If Back To My Old Moelhill doesn't stir your soul, check yer pulse. This is a rock solid alt.country/texas-country-rockin-blues effort. Joe Bob says *** (out of four), check it out. Screw AMG's *** out of five.

Dusty Chalk
02-22-2004, 05:17 PM
Matt Elliott, The Mess We Made -- only US$13!

The new Elbow, Cast of Thousands just came out domestically, you got that one yet?

Maybe some older Notwist, 12 perhaps, or maybe Shrink.

Wow, they have The Colour of Spring on import SACD, but not Spirit of Eden. Besides, no bonus points for cheap.

PS Yes, I have my idiosyncracies, too. And they comb in more than threes.

Davey
02-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Flatlanders? Who the <s>f<a>uck</s> are the Flatlanders?
Oops, guess you didn't really say quite that, eh? That was me. I need to do some more investigation. Thanks, Texas buddy.

Matt Elliott, The Mess We Made -- only US$13!
Hey, that's a good one! Been on my wishlist ever since that excellent review of yours over at Head-Fi. Ya know, that place seems to have gone downhill for some reason. Guess this place has too, for that matter. Wonder if it has anything to do with me http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif http://forums.audioreview.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

Oh well, thanks for the suggestions. Matt Elliot is a definite possibility. And maybe the Flatlanders too, whoever the f*#% they are :)

Slosh
02-22-2004, 06:01 PM
Yes? Well, then go buy The Cansecos s/t debut and let me know if it's any good ;)

Davey
02-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Wanna be a guinea pig? Do you like to hear them squeal? Do you ever think about what would go well with barbequed guinea pig?
Hey, Sloshy old buddy! Who the f<a>uck are the Cansecos? And tell me again why I'm asking?

Slosh
02-22-2004, 06:25 PM
Hey, Sloshy old buddy! Who the <s>f<a>uck</s> are the Cansecos? And tell me again why I'm asking?

And stop putting words in my mouth! ;)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/cansecos/cansecos.shtml

tentoze
02-22-2004, 06:33 PM
**** ya then- go get some Outkasst or however you spell it, and be impressed with lyrics.

Davey
02-22-2004, 06:49 PM
And stop putting words in my mouth! ;)

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record-reviews/c/cansecos/cansecos.shtml
Sorry ;)

Ya know, I have no idea whether I want the album or not after reading that review. Pitchfork isn't one of my preferred references. But it does sound interesting. That last Manitoba CD was A-OK with me. The Unicorns might have gone just a little bit over my head, though. How do you feel about that one now? Maybe I'll just wait for your report ;)

F<a>uck ya then- go get some Outkasst or however you spell it, and be impressed with lyrics.
Hehehe, regardless of what some other people around here say, OutKast is pretty silly when it comes to lyrics. Of course, that's also what makes them kinda fun. I do have the latest already. John Vanderslice is already high on my list, as are most of the other ones that have caught your fancy like Ghost and Sun Kil Moon. Thanks :)

Finch Platte
02-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Easy, get the Flatlanders Wheels Of Fortune. No brainer. Joe Ely, Jimmy Dale Gilmour, and Butch Hancock. Gilmour's quavering soprano voice (or is that Hancock?) is the perfect accompaniement to the beautiful (and very subtly used) musical saw on several songs. One or two odd inclusions here or there, I'm Gonna Strangle You Shorty could have been left on the cutting room floor. If Back To My Old Moelhill doesn't stir your soul, check yer pulse. This is a rock solid alt.country/texas-country-rockin-blues effort. Joe Bob says *** (out of four), check it out. Screw AMG's *** out of five.

Yeah, yeah- get this!!!!!

Why? Cuz I wanna hear it.

fp

tentoze
02-22-2004, 08:01 PM
Sorry ;)
Hehehe, regardless of what some other people around here say, OutKast is pretty silly when it comes to lyrics. Of course, that's also what makes them kinda fun. I do have the latest already. John Vanderslice is already high on my list, as are most of the other ones that have caught your fancy like Ghost and Sun Kil Moon. Thanks :)
Oooh, that Ghost is fine, as is Sun Kil Moon- at least one of those will make my year's end....

Sunday nite, raining- NP: Britsh Sea Power, and LOUD, too.....

:D

dld
02-22-2004, 08:23 PM
[QUOTE= What the fu.ck is rain?/

QUOTE]

Ok, since yer wayyyy too busy doing, whatever it is yer doing, to research Flatlanders new CeeDee, I went to WUV's website in NYC and found a link to about 6 music rag reviews on one web page to make yer research job a whole lot easier, I figure thats important since yer so busy doing..... stuff;->

Anyhow, heres the website. Don't believe all that country crap. Its, uhhh, indie rock, yea thats the ticket. Lots of indie bands use musical saws right? OK, its not really indie rock, its, uh, alt.country. I think.

http://www.newwestrecords.com/artists/fl/index.html

Slosh
02-23-2004, 12:36 AM
The Unicorns might have gone just a little bit over my head, though. How do you feel about that one now?

I still really like it. It would have been on my top ten list if I got it earlier. Lyrics do get too dopey for me at times but the music holds it together. I editted all of the in-between-track silence out and it works wonders for the flow. I haven't put it to disc yet but may tweak the sequencing a little first.

OT: one of my cheap computer speakers died and instead of buying new, better speakers it occured to me I have this nice little Pioneer Elite integrated amp/Mission speakers across the room so why not just get a long cable and connect that to the soundcard? Why not indeed! I should have done this long ago :) Nero has some pretty advanced editting features but I really couldn't judge the results with my junk PC speaks. Not a problem now. Hmmm......I have this pretty nice Sony ES digital pre/pro just sitting in my closet. Maybe I should get me a soundcard with an s/pdif out. Those "Current Pulse" DACs have to be better than my soundcard's...

nobody
02-23-2004, 05:06 AM
I'll suggest Angels of Light: Everything Is Good Here/Please Come Home. Released in 2003, it's the latest from the Swans' Michael Gira. Still, if the crashing noise of the Swans scares you off, don't be fooled. This one has much of the Swans intensity without the noise in parts, interspersed with delicate instrumentation reminicent of some of the Swans later work. It was funded by the proceeds of their live recording, which I figure may please ya. (not "indie" rock in style, but certainly independant of production and spirit)

Anyway, that's my suggestion. I've seen nothing but positive reviews for this one too. And, I'd be curious what anyone else thinks of it.