Lucked into a pair of Mach Ones [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Lucked into a pair of Mach Ones

tommywpg
06-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Recently, I responded to an online classified looking for a cheap receiver for the garage. There was little detail in the ad but it said speakers were included. I asked the guy for model #s and a pic and wondered if it would be worth the $50 bucks.

He sends me a pic but has no product info as the stereo is at his cottage. I post the pic on a deal site I belong to asking if anyone can identify the equipment. Right away three people post. A Realistic STA 960 and a good looking pair of Mach Ones. Yet again, I luck into a pair of reportedly amazing vintage speakers. Ten years ago, I picked up an old Yamaha system with a pair of NS1000s. That was a window rattler of a system! Sadly it belongs to someone else now.

I'm really looking forward to hearing these babys and hoping the surrounds are in good shape.

Any info on the 960 would be greatly appreciated. I'll paste the pick that started it all.

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/52/452/7/96/9/2939796090101617657QdMpoR_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2939796090101617657QdMpoR)

Any comments or info on how to fit these into a new theatre set up I'm imagining in my future as I get all excited about vintage audio again.

Blue Meanie
06-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Recently, I responded to an online classified looking for a cheap receiver for the garage. There was little detail in the ad but it said speakers were included. I asked the guy for model #s and a pic and wondered if it would be worth the $50 bucks.

He sends me a pic but has no product info as the stereo is at his cottage. I post the pic on a deal site I belong to asking if anyone can identify the equipment. Right away three people post. A Realistic STA 960 and a good looking pair of Mach Ones. Yet again, I luck into a pair of reportedly amazing vintage speakers. Ten years ago, I picked up an old Yamaha system with a pair of NS1000s. That was a window rattler of a system! Sadly it belongs to someone else now.

I'm really looking forward to hearing these babys and hoping the surrounds are in good shape.

The STA-960 is 50 w/channel, if memory serves. Certainly worth the 50 bucks alone, IMO. As to the Mach Ones, I own a pair of Mach Twos, and a friend owns a pair of Ones. I prefer slightly the sound of his Ones to my Twos. I'm not sure I'd consider either (opinions vary) to be "amazing vintage speakers". To put it in perspective, the NS1000s are in another league entirely. But the Ones ARE a fairly competant and enjoyable speaker, and at $50 for both the receiver and speakers, are an absolute steal. You did good!! :thumbsup: Congrats on a great score.:cornut:

Jeff

tommywpg
06-28-2007, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info on the receiver.

I already have a friend offering big bucks for the Mach Ones. I think I'll live with them for a bit before thinking about selling.

Blue Meanie
06-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info on the receiver.

I already have a friend offering big bucks for the Mach Ones. I think I'll live with them for a bit before thinking about selling.

I too would keep them for a while. You may very well decide to keep them. I've never considered selling my Twos. The Ones usually sell in the neighborhood of $250 a pair on eBay if fully functional, and in fairly good cosmetic shape. So as I said, you got a fantastic deal.

I'd much appreciate hearing how you like them after having them for a time.:thumbsup:

Jeff

tommywpg
06-28-2007, 10:45 AM
I'll post about them next week sometime after checking them out.

Any info or opinions on the receiver?

jocko_nc
06-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Sweet. Nice score.

The Mach Ones are big ol' boomers and will fill a room with no trouble. Not the greatest sound quality, but they make up for that with sheer quantity. They are lots of fun.

Blue Meanie
06-28-2007, 03:18 PM
I'll post about them next week sometime after checking them out.

Any info or opinions on the receiver?

I have no other info on the receiver besides wattage. Hopefully a few more folks will chime in. A buddy of mine had an STA-960 many moons ago. Never took a really close look at it, but I recall it sounding fine to me. Sorry I can't be of more help.

jocko_nc is right. The Machs don't possess the most accurate sound, but they will play loudly, and are a 'fun' speaker. IMO, classic rock is their forte.

Jeff

tommywpg
06-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Here we go.

http://thumb17.webshots.net/t/60/460/7/80/45/2514780450101617657ZuUcZl_th.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2514780450101617657ZuUcZl)

wreintg
07-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I sold these when I worked for Radio Shack in the late 70's. They were top-of-the-line speakers at the time, could take massive amounts of power, sounded good and sold for $219 each. I believe the receiver sold for $359 and was fine sounding. As others have said here, you definately got a deal!

jeffbhp
03-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Hey i would like to know if anyone is interested in purchasing 1 mach 1 in great condition. I'm getting ready to list it on ebay. What do you think a single one in good shape wold go for? I saw a pair on ebay going for 4 to 500.00.

Blue Meanie
03-18-2008, 01:06 PM
Hey i would like to know if anyone is interested in purchasing 1 mach 1 in great condition. I'm getting ready to list it on ebay. What do you think a single one in good shape wold go for? I saw a pair on ebay going for 4 to 500.00.

Nice first post. Lookin' to sell something.:p

MikeyBC
03-19-2008, 02:49 PM
Are these the original cat# 4024's with the rubber woofer surrounds? they were the best versions and are keepers... the newer catalog #'s. 4029 and up with the foam surrounds are not as good...better to sell them and make a few bucks from them.