Us Vs. Them... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Us Vs. Them...

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM
I don't know about anyone else, but I love movies where it's a group or gang of people versus a larger force. Not like the movie 300 so much, or KILL BILL, which was 1 versus many, but rather movies like THE UNTOUCHABLES, where a group of 4 guys (each with a different skill) go up against a crime organization led by Al Capone. Another recent example would be MUNICH. I am trying to think of other examples of such, so far I have come up with these following, please feel free to add some.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR (X-MEN doesn't quite work simply because it's too many good guys versus bad guys, the odds are more even, where this film is just four of them).

YOUNG GUNS

OPEN RANGE

TOMBSTONE

THE WILD BUNCH

BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID (sure it's only two of them, but the fight like many)

RONIN

FOUR BROTHERS

DEAD PRESIDENTS

eisforelectronic
06-27-2007, 09:55 PM
band of the hand

Troy
06-28-2007, 08:23 AM
A common theme among war movies.

The Dirty Dozen
Kelly's Heroes
Guns of Navarone
Where Eagles Dare
Platoon
etc.

But really, "The Seven Samurai" pretty much covers all the bases. See also "The Magnificent 7."

Can you go a week without mentioning Open Range? There's a scene in this movie where the younger character is dying and Duvall has a monologue where he's stiff and awkward. Annette Benning stands near his side with the most confused look on her face, totally out of character, almost like she doesn't realize the camera is running. It's a trainwreck, trademark Kevin Costner directed schlock. The movie is sloppy and simply brings nothing new to the genre. It's a tired rehash.

JSE
06-28-2007, 12:45 PM
Red Dawn - a few kids against the Soviet Union!

bobsticks
06-28-2007, 03:39 PM
I would be hard pressed to find many action films i liked as much as Ronin.

I don't know about Dead Presidents but on occasion I like the Dead Kennedys

Groundbeef
06-28-2007, 04:11 PM
If you want to see a truely impressive movie of few holding off many, rent yourself a copy of "The Lost Battalion". It was out a few years ago, and tells the tale of a US Battalion that is ordered to hold a hill. It gets to said hill, and suprise suprise, the French retreat, just in time for the supply line to be cut.

Our boys hold of the German onslaught of wave after wave of elite German Troops culminating with the advance of the flame troops.

I won't give away any of the details, but lets just say that that one battalion helped shape the remainder of the war, and is an awesome tale of bravery, and tenacity of the US soldier.

It is based on true events and starred Rick Schroder as a VERY convincing commander of the small band of soldiers.

I would rent it if you haven't seen it.

Black Hawk Down is another fantastic example of small amount of soldiers holding off seemingly insurmountable forces (numbers of combantants, but not trained very well) while infliciting huge losses to the enemy. Estimates vary between 500-1500 Somili militants were killed in the 20 hour battle. US casualties were about 12 if memory serves.

Smokey
06-28-2007, 05:28 PM
I accidentally ran cross this movie from Hong Kong on Encore channel and it just blow me away. I never seen anything like it before.

It is about three female action super heroes that take on a cult with super powers that steal infant babies and kick their butts. The action is over the top with amazing fight choreography and stunning cinematography that make Batman or Spiderman action flicks so tame.

http://www.chetscorner.com/chatter/files/heroictrio-2.jpg

PeruvianSkies
06-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Initially I ruled this film out, but after some consideration again I think JAWS fits into my criteria simply because it's 3 men with different skills hunting one huge friggin' shark. It is only by their combined efforts that they are able to kill the shark. Although I think that the UNTOUCHABLES and perhaps THE SEVEN SAMURAI, MAG 7, and THE WILD BUNCH are really the ideal movies in this regard.

kelsci
07-01-2007, 12:52 AM
The Alamo

Troy
07-01-2007, 07:47 AM
Although I think that the UNTOUCHABLES and perhaps THE SEVEN SAMURAI, MAG 7, and THE WILD BUNCH are really the ideal movies in this regard.

Why didn't I think of that?