Buying new speakers soon. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Buying new speakers soon.

lr7bubbleboy
02-22-2004, 10:46 AM
I need a list of speaker manufacturers that I can investigate.
What speakers to match with my Yamaha RX-V2400.
Need:
2 mains
1 Center
6 surrounds
Budget: $2500-$3000
Thanks

cam
02-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Try Paradigm or Psb speakers. Canadian made and your $2500-$3000 will go alot further then buying stuff from Klipsch.

RGA
02-22-2004, 01:31 PM
B&W, Linn, Totem, Mission, Wharfedale, Energy, PSB, possibly Paradigm Studio series, Klipsh Reference, Mordaunt Short, etc etc.

Generally I prefer the sound of European speakers and speakers not using metal tweeters...but the latter is a possible benefit for home theater pyrotechnics and exagerated effects - if the speaker produced the fun factor exagerated effects well it may suit but naturally also has the inverse problem with music exagerating what shouldn't be.

You simply have to listen...most brands are built well and have good support and warranties. It's nobody's business to tell you what speaker to buy since it's a personal preference. All we can do is tell you what we like - and that will be different from person to person. All the ones I mention have various strengths and weakness.

From my list i like Wharfedale, Mission and PSB for the pricing bang for buck and Totem for the looks integrated with good sound and B&W for for perhaps the best all around appeal for music and movies. You simply have to do the leg work and listen to as many as possible preferably in the same roo with the same amp/dvdplayer etc.

This Guy
02-22-2004, 03:06 PM
why do you need six surrounds? What about a sub? Whats your room size?

lr7bubbleboy
02-23-2004, 06:19 AM
For surrounds I need 2 presence speakers, 2 surrounds, and 2 Back surrounds.

Also my plan is to go out and listen to many speakers I just want to weed out the junk from the good stuff. Save me some time. That way when a salesman tells me that bose is the best speaker in the world I'll know if he was full of s#$t or not.
Thanks again for the advice.

46minaudio
02-23-2004, 09:26 AM
Im almost sure without an ext amp you will not be able to play the frt presence and back surrounds..Id check first...

Mikereyno
02-23-2004, 10:23 AM
The RX-V2400 does allow for the hook up of "presence" speakers directly to the receiver. You can connect both Surround back and presence speakers to the RX-V2400, but they do not output sound simultaneously. The Presence speakers only output ambient effects created by the DSP sound fields. They do not ourput sound when other sound fields on the RX-V2400 are selected

This Guy
02-23-2004, 04:15 PM
I'd buy the main left and right surrounds along with the rear surrounds for right now, and put the extra money towards the main speakers. Hook up a pair of old speakers that you have already and see if this Presence effect is really worth it. I have no opinio on speaker choice cause im not too familiar with whats out there.

-Joey

jerryci
02-27-2004, 01:18 AM
I believe the Totem's mentioned by RGA are actually Triangle "Totems", stand mounted speakers for about $500/pair. I haven't heard them, but I do like the sound and the value of other Triangle speakers I've heard. Also like RGA, I like the "European" speakers (French and Italian) for jazz and classical that I listen to. They are usually more accurate, detailed, and delicate sounding. However if I wanted some slam for rock n roll, I would look elsewhere. You've got to match the speakers to your own music. Most reputable stores will sell to you with a return policy. If you don't like them, return them. In fact, after narrowing it down to two or three pairs, you might buy more than one, try them all out at home, and keep only your favorite.

Jerry Cipirano

jerryci
02-27-2004, 01:32 AM
[QUOTE=jerryci]I believe the Totem's mentioned by RGA are actually Triangle "Totems", stand mounted speakers for about $500/pair. I haven't heard them, but I do like the sound and the value of other Triangle speakers I've heard. Also like RGA, I like the "European" speakers (French and Italian) for jazz and classical that I listen to. They are usually more accurate, detailed, and delicate sounding. However if I wanted some slam for rock n roll, I would look elsewhere. You've got to match the speakers to your own music. Most reputable stores will sell to you with a return policy. If you don't like them, return them. In fact, after narrowing it down to two or three pairs, you might buy more than one, try them all out at home, and keep only your favorite.

Jerry Cipirano

Let me correct myself. Those Totems are not Triangle models. Totem is a separate company with a number of speaker models that I just discovered as recommendations in Stereophile magazine: Totem Acoustic Forest ($3000/pr), Totem Acoustic Mani-2 ($4000/pr), Totem Model 1 Signature ($2000/pr). I'm not sure what model RGA was referring to, but apparently the brand is highly thought of.

Jerry C.

chimera128
02-27-2004, 11:52 AM
I would also add Definitive Technology to the speakers listed above. The speakers I would get with a $3000 budget are as follows:
speaker cost frequency response driver set per tower
BP7006 $1200/pair 17Hz - 30kHz (2) 4.5 in midrange
(2) 1 in tweeter
(1) 300 watt 8 in sub
(2) 8 in passive radiators

C/L/R 2300 $600 22Hz-30kHz (2) 4.5 in midrange
(1) 1 in tweeter
(1) 150 watt 8 in sub

BP2X $1000/2 pair 45Hz-30kHz (2) 5.25 in midrange
(2) 1in tweeter

Total cost for the system is $2800 MSRP, but I have had no problems getting all my speakers for 20% or more off. 20% off would come to $2240 + applicable taxes. The BP7006 may be hard to negotiate on since it is a new model as of March 2004. As for the other speakers mentioned they are all fine brands and you would be happy with any of them.

jerryci
02-27-2004, 01:02 PM
Generally, when buying speakers it is not recommendable to follow the advice of a fan of ONE brand or model. There are too many variables for each end user and what is best for one person is usually not best for another. Additionally, "fans" are frequently not objective. What determines what is best for you is not only your ears, but also your music preferences, your amp/preamp/input device, your interconnects and cabling, your room acoustics, etc. Each buyer must audition various models for him/herself and buy from a store with return privileges if the speakers do not work out as expected.

The Definitive Technology brand touted above is a widely marketed brand that specializes in home theatre (HT) systems. Is it recommended by Stereophile, the Absolute Sound, or other audio magazine (as opposed to HT/Video magazine)? No. Is it best for this particular user? Who knows. Is it best to recommend one brand and one model? Absolutely not. Def Tech speakers have gotten some pretty fair reviews, but that does not justify the above unqualified recommendation by "Fan, Owner, Advocate", Chimera.

Jerry C.