Worst Film Ever Made... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Worst Film Ever Made...

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 01:02 PM
These are 10 films that (in my experience) were the most dreadful...

Vote for yours or submit your own worst movie candidate.

GMichael
06-27-2007, 01:17 PM
Bolero (1984) - Bo Derek plays a virgin (yeah, right) who can't find a guy willing to pluck her womanhood. I fell asleep.

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 01:47 PM
I voted for Jaws, because fortunately that's the only one listed that I had the misfortune of seeing. Both Exorsist "sequels" rank right up there, and even though Borat got accolades in some circles, I didn't find the humor. In fact, that scene, I think you know the one I mean, was just gross.I DID NOT need to see them two like that! :barf:

kexodusc
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
Wing Commander
Battlefield Earth
A History of Violence
Freddy Got Fingered
Being John Malkovich
Knock-off
Larry The Cable Guy: Health Inspector
Pet Cemetery 2
Sleepwalkers
Suburbia
Iron Eagle 2

JSE
06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I voted for Jaws, because fortunately that's the only one listed that I had the misfortune of seeing. Both Exorsist "sequels" rank right up there, and even though Borat got accolades in some circles, I didn't find the humor. In fact, that scene, I think you know the one I mean, was just gross.I DID NOT need to see them two like that! :barf:

I'm with you on Borat. While I did find some parts fairly funny, I just did not get what the big deal was. I went in expecting a lot more. And this from a guy who loves the Jackass movies!

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 02:01 PM
Wing Commander
Battlefield Earth
A History of Violence
Freddy Got Fingered
Being John Malkovich
Knock-off
Pet Cemetery 2
Sleepwalkers
Suburbia
Iron Eagle 2

Great list, but I would have to disagree wholeheartedly with two of your choices: A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE and BEING JOHN MALKOVICH. I thought that David Cronenberg's A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE was a daring and interesting film that broke some of the conventional norms of recent filmmaking and films about revenge. I know that some people are not as big of fans with unconventional filmmaking and especially Cronenberg's knack for odd dark humor with the grisly killing. BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, on the other hand, is Spike Jonze at his best and I thought that ADAPTATION was also a great follow-up, that again, some people are not big fans of, but it's meant for more acquired tastes, especially for people that are more interested in the auteur filmmaking styles.

Troy
06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
It says a lot about a person as to what they think the WORST FILM EVER MADE is.

I mean, Borat? Being John Malkovich? Both films are genius in their own way. I can certainly see not liking them if they rub your sensibilities the wrong way, but all time worst? Surely you've seen WORSE movies than those?

I suppose someone actually liked "Bicentennial Man" and "Patch Adams" too.

There's a great piece on directors of bad movies at The Onion right now called "10 Directors You Didn't Know You Hated." Interesting because while most movie fans all know the Coen Brothers movies or PT Anderson movies, no one thinks to follow the careers of these deadbeats making whole strings of truly awful movies.

http://www.avclub.com/content/feature/inventory_10_directors_you

ForeverAutumn
06-27-2007, 03:10 PM
BEING JOHN MALKOVICH, on the other hand, is Spike Jonze at his best and I thought that ADAPTATION was also a great follow-up, that again, some people are not big fans of, but it's meant for more acquired tastes, especially for people that are more interested in the auteur filmmaking styles.

I second that opinion. I loved both of those movies.

Worst movie ever made IMO is Notting Hill. I watched it while on a flight home from Vegas. As boring as any flight is, this one was actually painfully so. If the flight had gone down, it would have been a relief. Serves me right for starting to watch it anyway. But you're on a plane, you're trapped. Wataya gonna do?

Feanor
06-27-2007, 03:34 PM
These are 10 films that (in my experience) were the most dreadful...

Vote for yours or submit your own worst movie candidate.

PS,

Something tells me I'm really lucky to have seen none on your list. :cornut:

Feanor
06-27-2007, 03:36 PM
Wing Commander
Battlefield Earth
A History of Violence
Freddy Got Fingered
Being John Malkovich
Knock-off
Pet Cemetery 2
Sleepwalkers
Suburbia
Iron Eagle 2

I'm doing really well. PS and Kex, and I'm 0 for 20.

kexodusc
06-27-2007, 04:16 PM

I mean, Borat? Being John Malkovich? Both films are genius in their own way. I can certainly see not liking them if they rub your sensibilities the wrong way, but all time worst? Surely you've seen WORSE movies than those?

All depends on your criteria - I've seen some brutal student-directed movies...some made for TV stuff is pretty aweful. They may be equally as uninteresting, except I have less exectations for those so I don't rank them as poorly. It's my list I'll rank them as I wish. Deal with it. :prrr:

I guess if we trivialize the term genius like that, every movie is genius in its own way.

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 05:02 PM

So what does it tell you about a person who doesn't like Borat? I don't see anything "genius" about a scene in a movie where two men, who under no circumstances should be seen fighting with each other while naked, would qualify with the high honors you give it, but that's just my opinion. I regret having paid to see it.

But I would also disagree about Being John... I found it unique and interesting.

Smokey
06-27-2007, 05:49 PM
This might not be the worst movie, but it is certainly most disappointing. Especially from director Steven Spielberg.

I let you guess :)

http://optimusfilms.20m.com/directors/ss/w.lost.jpg

RoyY51
06-27-2007, 05:56 PM
My vote goes to "Deep Water". In 50 years of movie watching, this is the most mindless, plotless, derivative excuse of a flick that I have ever had the displeasure of viewing. I don't know who's wannabe actor relatives were thrown a bone, or why, but this abomination should never have made it to the big screen. At best, this would be a grade "C" high school project.

JSE
06-27-2007, 07:29 PM
My vote goes to "Deep Water". In 50 years of movie watching, this is the most mindless, plotless, derivative excuse of a flick that I have ever had the displeasure of viewing. I don't know who's wannabe actor relatives were thrown a bone, or why, but this abomination should never have made it to the big screen. At best, this would be a grade "C" high school project.

And what about Open Water? My god that sucked! Some people loved it. Not sure why though. They got left at sea, the floated around for a while, got eaten by sharks. No suprise, not scary, no suspense, no good. Bleeeeeck!

JSE :cornut:

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 10:00 PM
The thing about the film OPEN WATER is that it's based on a true story that no one knows the end of. The film depicts what 'probably' happened to a couple and is a fairly realistic portrayal of such. Here is the problem though: it's not Hollywood enough for most people. The truth of the matter is that the real story is not always that interesting or entertaining and therefore doesn't always make for a good film. While watching it if you wanted to see more action happening than chances are you were watching it with a different intention to begin with. If you wanted to see a Jaws-like shark jump out of the water and attack them, than you were misguided all along. This isn't a horror film, it's more like a docudrama.

bobsticks
06-28-2007, 03:51 AM
Having instinctively avoided most of the above titles I'm not qualified to vote in this one. I would add, however, the 2002 non-epic Insomnia. What dreck. Ny the end of the film I just wanted someone--anyone--to die just to get it over with.

Actually, it's a pretty good cure for its namesake. Maybe not the worst ever but in the ballpark.

RoyY51
06-28-2007, 05:30 AM
And what about Open Water? My god that sucked! Some people loved it. Not sure why though. They got left at sea, the floated around for a while, got eaten by sharks. No suprise, not scary, no suspense, no good. Bleeeeeck!

JSE :cornut:
My bad; I meant to say "Open Water" instead of "Deep Water". These damned "senior moments" are coming more rapidly these days. What were we talking about?

Rich-n-Texas
06-28-2007, 06:46 AM
That's okay RoyY51. That was a GREAT rant no matter what. Ebert and Roper ain't got nothing on you! :lol:

PeruvianSkies
06-28-2007, 07:13 AM
Having instinctively avoided most of the above titles I'm not qualified to vote in this one. I would add, however, the 2002 non-epic Insomnia. What dreck. Ny the end of the film I just wanted someone--anyone--to die just to get it over with.

Actually, it's a pretty good cure for its namesake. Maybe not the worst ever but in the ballpark.

Which is exactly what makes this Americanized version of the 1997 Norwegian film INSOMNIA starring Stellan Skarsgard is inferior. In the original 1997 film the main character dies and is a far more interesting film, plus it takes place in the 'land of the midnight sun'. Very cool.

JSE
06-28-2007, 08:38 AM
The thing about the film OPEN WATER is that it's based on a true story that no one knows the end of. The film depicts what 'probably' happened to a couple and is a fairly realistic portrayal of such. Here is the problem though: it's not Hollywood enough for most people. The truth of the matter is that the real story is not always that interesting or entertaining and therefore doesn't always make for a good film. While watching it if you wanted to see more action happening than chances are you were watching it with a different intention to begin with. If you wanted to see a Jaws-like shark jump out of the water and attack them, than you were misguided all along. This isn't a horror film, it's more like a docudrama.

I know what it was supposed to be, it just flat out sucked!

JSE

JSE
06-28-2007, 08:42 AM
My bad; I meant to say "Open Water" instead of "Deep Water". These damned "senior moments" are coming more rapidly these days. What were we talking about?

Hah! That's funny, I read Deep Water and in my head I was thinking, Dark Water. :out: BTW, Dark Water sucked as well. Tooooo many damn water movies!

My head hurts now. :sosp:

JSE

GMichael
06-28-2007, 08:58 AM
Hah! That's funny, I read Deep Water and in my head I was thinking, Dark Water. :out: BTW, Dark Water sucked as well. Tooooo many damn water movies!

My head hurts now. :sosp:

JSE

Water World burn out?

Troy
06-28-2007, 09:20 AM
The Postman

noddin0ff
06-28-2007, 10:29 AM
Waterworld. A colossal waste. I paid $1.50 to see this at a matinée when it was in the theaters. I still want my money back. I probably wouldn't have minded paying $0.50 for the glimpse of Jeanne Tripplehorn's butt. Unfortunately, she used a body double so I feel cheated there too.

RoyY51
06-28-2007, 12:07 PM
That's okay RoyY51. That was a GREAT rant no matter what. Ebert and Roper ain't got nothing on you! :lol:
Thanks for the compliment, but the sad truth is that I probably stole the phraseology from Ebert or Roper or someone, and just can't remember doing so. I seem to recall that I'm not a very good writer, so this is probably what happened.

Is it time for my nap, yet?

GMichael
06-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the compliment, but the sad truth is that I probably stole the phraseology from Ebert or Roper or someone, and just can't remember doing so. I seem to recall that I'm not a very good writer, so this is probably what happened.

Is it time for my nap, yet?

You missed your nap time for today. You'll have to wait 'till tomorrow.

PeruvianSkies
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
I know what it was supposed to be, it just flat out sucked!

JSE

If you knew what it was suppose to be than why did you comment earlier about it 'not being scary' ? Were you expecting a horror film?

JSE
06-28-2007, 01:52 PM
If you knew what it was suppose to be than why did you comment earlier about it 'not being scary' ? Were you expecting a horror film?

Scary was just one word I used but more importantly , because it was advertised as such. It was advertised as a suspense thriller that took place in shark infested waters. I knew it was a real life "docu-drama" but it was advertised that it would scare the hell out of you. I figured at the very least, the film would have me on the edge of my seat physically and mentally.

However, that's just one reason I did not like the film. Everything about this film sucked. It sucked as a thriller, suspense film, docu-drama, etc. Sometimes movies just suck on every level.

It's just an opinion and does not need justification.

JSeeeeeeee! :thumbsup:

PeruvianSkies
06-28-2007, 02:22 PM
Scary was just one word I used but more importantly , because it was advertised as such. It was advertised as a suspense thriller that took place in shark infested waters. I knew it was a real life "docu-drama" but it was advertised that it would scare the hell out of you. I figured at the very least, the film would have me on the edge of my seat physically and mentally.

However, that's just one reason I did not like the film. Everything about this film sucked. It sucked as a thriller, suspense film, docu-drama, etc. Sometimes movies just suck on every level.

It's just an opinion and does not need justification.

JSeeeeeeee! :thumbsup:

I can see where you are coming from, surprisingly the movie got a 6/10 from imdb users, which doesn't mean a whole lot to me personally, but does suggest that a wide population can at least tolerate the film, the 10 films that I selected for the poll were under 4/10 and some were in the last 100.

RoyY51
06-28-2007, 02:23 PM
You missed your nap time for today. You'll have to wait 'till tomorrow.
Thank you.

Have you seen my glasses? Oh...never mind.

L.J.
06-28-2007, 03:32 PM
You know, I don't think I've seen any of those listed for the vote. From Justin to Kelly.....people actually paid money to see that crap :Yawn:

My wife and I rented Open Water while on vacation and we were highly disappointed. It costed us $12 freakin' dollars :mad5:

noddin0ff
06-28-2007, 06:37 PM
OK, no offense intended to you personally L.J. ...but 'costed' ?

costed is a word but that's not what it means or how you use it. You mean 'cost'.

I'm on a mini rant because I've seen and heard it used too many times this week by people who should know better. Sorry for choosing your post to vent on. I’ll go climb back in my box now.

SlumpBuster
06-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Alot of the movies listed so far aren't really all that bad. They either succeed on at least one level, or are just drek (sp?), or are not your particular cup of tea, or don't pretent to be anything more than they are. For example, Teen Wolf Too (along with all the other sequels) is just a straight cash grab sequel, not deserving of the title "most" anything. Freddy Got Fingered actually succeeds as an "anti-humor anti-movie" the likes of Anus McGillicuty (or at least some people think so - me included). Battlefield Earth was simply a vanity project. A further example: you can't call Kung Pow: Enter the Fist the worst movie ever made because it wasn't really trying to be any good.

No, to be truely the worst movie ever made, it has to be serious in its endeavor. If it is a comedy, it has to be reach for universal humor but fall flat. If it a drama, it must only achieve melodrama (or audiences laughing at serious actors hamming it up a la Star Wars Ep III).

Accordingly, the worst movie ever made is: Soul Man
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/Soulman.jpg

This movie is wholly indefensible for so many reasons. Most obviously is the blackface makeup that C. Thomas Howell wears. I can't actually believe that this movie was made in 1986. Frankly, if this movie had been in an earlier time, I would not label it as the Worst of All Time. But, timing is everything.

This was a serious studio picture that starred serious actors. Lets not forget, C. Thomas was poised as one of the next great actors (he starred in Coppala's Outsiders with Tom Cruise as second banana). But Tom Cruise starred in Top Gun in 1986 and C. Thomas starred in Soul Man 1986. What a career killer.

It is not dramatic - though it tries, it is not funny - though it tries.

This movie demonstrates the difference between jokes about racism and racist jokes. Compare this movie with the scene from Silver Streak where Gene Wilder is in black face. That is a scene that works as one of the funniest in movie history because it is a joke about race and racism. The blackface joke of Soul Man is just racist. Gene Wilder is funny because he will fool no one, Soul Man is racist because he fools everyone.

Edit: It costed the actors and audience alike their dignity.

PeruvianSkies
06-28-2007, 07:26 PM
Alot of the movies listed so far aren't really all that bad. They either succeed on at least one level, or are just drek (sp?), or are not your particular cup of tea, or don't pretent to be anything more than they are. For example, Teen Wolf Too (along with all the other sequels) is just a straight cash grab sequel, not deserving of the title "most" anything. Freddy Got Fingered actually succeeds as an "anti-humor anti-movie" the likes of Anus McGillicuty (or at least some people think so - me included). Battlefield Earth was simply a vanity project. A further example: you can't call Kung Pow: Enter the Fist the worst movie ever made because it wasn't really trying to be any good.

No, to be truely the worst movie ever made, it has to be serious in its endeavor. If it is a comedy, it has to be reach for universal humor but fall flat. If it a drama, it must only achieve melodrama (or audiences laughing at serious actors hamming it up a la Star Wars Ep III).

Accordingly, the worst movie ever made is: Soul Man
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/04/Soulman.jpg

This movie is wholly indefensible for so many reasons. Most obviously is the blackface makeup that C. Thomas Howell wears. I can't actually believe that this movie was made in 1986. Frankly, if this movie had been in an earlier time, I would not label it as the Worst of All Time. But, timing is everything.

This was a serious studio picture that starred serious actors. Lets not forget, C. Thomas was poised as one of the next great actors (he starred in Coppala's Outsiders with Tom Cruise as second banana). But Tom Cruise starred in Top Gun in 1986 and C. Thomas starred in Soul Man 1986. What a career killer.

It is not dramatic - though it tries, it is not funny - though it tries.

This movie demonstrates the difference between jokes about racism and racist jokes. Compare this movie with the scene from Silver Streak where Gene Wilder is in black face. That is a scene that works as one of the funniest in movie history because it is a joke about race and racism. The blackface joke of Soul Man is just racist. Gene Wilder is funny because he will fool no one, Soul Man is racist because he fools everyone.

Edit: It costed the actors and audience alike their dignity.

Thanks for the education on how to run the thread that I started.

noddin0ff
06-28-2007, 07:32 PM
Honestly, I think SlumpB is spot on. A bad movie is one that fails, not one that just wasn't good. If you love some thread, set it free. If it comes back to bite you in the a$$, it didn't love you back anyway. Let it go.

Troy
06-28-2007, 07:40 PM
Geez, you didn't have to accosted the guy!

noddin0ff
06-28-2007, 07:43 PM
that was beautiful, man. *snif*

JSE
06-28-2007, 08:41 PM
that was beautiful, man. *snif*

Or "sniff" :cornut:

GMichael
06-29-2007, 05:28 AM
I'm so proud of all of you.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 05:57 AM
Or "sniff" :cornut:
Nice catch JSE :thumbsup:

L.J.
06-29-2007, 06:20 AM
OK, no offense intended to you personally L.J. ...but 'costed' ?

costed is a word but that's not what it means or how you use it. You mean 'cost'.

I'm on a mini rant because I've seen and heard it used too many times this week by people who should know better. Sorry for choosing your post to vent on. I’ll go climb back in my box now.

That's actually exactly how I would say and use it. It's not a question of if I should know better. The real question is do I really give a ****.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 07:51 AM
smackdown!!!

SlumpBuster
06-29-2007, 08:32 AM
Thanks for the education on how to run the thread that I started.

Your welcome. Somebody has to keep this place high class. :ihih:

Hopefully your just goofing. If not, I'm sorry. I wasn't trying to hi-jack your thread, but merely outlining the criteria I used to render my conclusion.

But, in my defense. A) none of us have any business seeing a movie like Kazzam, we should all know better. B) of all the movies cited as worst so far, only one to my knowlege contains blackface, in an unironic context too.... so tell me again how my selection is wrong?

Groundbeef
06-29-2007, 08:58 AM
Has this ever happened to you guys? My wife and I rented this 'thriller' detective movie starring James Belushi as some washed up detective. Total Snore fest, and it would make the list if I could remember the movie name.

Heres the rub, the box art was SO good, and the writup on the back was excellent. So good that several months later we RENTED it again......watched about 5 minutes and I had this horrible feeling of deja-vu. My wife and I then realized that we had already rented this piece of crap. At this point, what could we do? I couldn't take it back to the movie store and complain about how I hated this movie that I had now rented TWICE. We laughed pretty hard about that one, and still do on occasion.

So we turned it off, and played cards as memory serves.

So if you find an old late 1990's detective movie starring James Belushi, stay away.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 09:19 AM
That's my biggest fear Groundbeef. It's happened to me in the past but IIRC it was a movie I enjoyed so it wasn't too much of a let-down. One good thing about the Blockbuster Total Access and Netflick systems is that won't happen unless you want it to.

PeruvianSkies
06-29-2007, 09:30 AM
Has this ever happened to you guys? My wife and I rented this 'thriller' detective movie starring James Belushi as some washed up detective. Total Snore fest, and it would make the list if I could remember the movie name.

Heres the rub, the box art was SO good, and the writup on the back was excellent. So good that several months later we RENTED it again......watched about 5 minutes and I had this horrible feeling of deja-vu. My wife and I then realized that we had already rented this piece of crap. At this point, what could we do? I couldn't take it back to the movie store and complain about how I hated this movie that I had now rented TWICE. We laughed pretty hard about that one, and still do on occasion.

So we turned it off, and played cards as memory serves.

So if you find an old late 1990's detective movie starring James Belushi, stay away.

GANG RELATED starring James Belushi and Tupac from 1997....

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/3/2313-large.jpg

noddin0ff
06-29-2007, 11:04 AM
smackdown!!!

Well, hardly a smackdown!!!. If L.J. doesn't care, that's fine with me. I didn't take his comments personally, and I hope he didn't take mine personally. Lots of people say 'costed'. Lots of people think it's the past tense of 'cost'. A frightening number of people I've interacted with this week seem to think that. It isn't. Try using it in a job interview. 'know better' was a poor choice of words, but it was easier than trying to find a humorous way of saying "successfully mastered eighth grade english". The price of being an egalitarian jerk, I suppose. It apparently costed me some good will.

oh, no. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too!

Groundbeef
06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
GANG RELATED starring James Belushi and Tupac from 1997....

http://www.lovefilm.com/lovefilm/images/products/3/2313-large.jpg

No, it was a kind of "film noir (sp)?", and shot with voiceovers....ala "it was a dark and stormy night" complete with the horns etc. It was REALLLY bad.

Gerall
06-29-2007, 12:41 PM
1. Super Babies -Baby Geniuses II
tied with Baby Guniuses I
2. Car 54 Where Are You.
3. Crossover
4. Ed
5. Every Police Academy ever made.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, hardly a smackdown!!!. If L.J. doesn't care, that's fine with me. I didn't take his comments personally, and I hope he didn't take mine personally. Lots of people say 'costed'. Lots of people think it's the past tense of 'cost'. A frightening number of people I've interacted with this week seem to think that. It isn't. Try using it in a job interview. 'know better' was a poor choice of words, but it was easier than trying to find a humorous way of saying "successfully mastered eighth grade english". The price of being an egalitarian jerk, I suppose. It apparently costed me some good will.

oh, no. I hope I didn't hijack the thread too!
Don't mind me noddinOff, I just like to instigate sometimes. If I had a dime for every time I saw 'noone' I would own this site. No one gets more irritated than me when the English language gets butchered like it does on the internet and in society. And don't even me started on... no, nevermind.

[/hijack]

JSE
06-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Don't mind me noddinOff, I just like to instigate sometimes. If I had a dime for every time I saw 'noone' I would own this site. No one gets more irritated than me when the English language gets butchered like it does on the internet and in society. And don't even me started on... no, nevermind.

[/hijack]

I say "drug". Like, "I drug it accross the floor". My wife corrects me all the time when I do it. (Not that "Do It" GMichael :hand: ) Anyway, I guess it's a southern thing.

Crap, thread got hijacked again!

JSE

jrhymeammo
06-29-2007, 06:37 PM
I got one that will destroy every single one of them listed above.

Run Ronnie Run.

and this is coming from a guy who is a huge fan of Mr. Show. I think it was supposed to be a joke that didnt go so well...

JRA

bobsticks
06-29-2007, 06:51 PM
I think we need to also need to give serious consideration to anything with Jim Varney in it.

PeruvianSkies
06-29-2007, 06:57 PM
I think we need to also need to give serious consideration to anything with Jim Varney in it.

You mean like Ernest Goes to Africa???
http://www.crazyape.com/creatives/ernstafrica.jpg

bobsticks
06-29-2007, 07:04 PM
That is but one of the offending parties, sir.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.

PeruvianSkies
06-29-2007, 07:17 PM
That is but one of the offending parties, sir.

My brain hurts just thinking about it.

It's a blaxploitation film, set to a score by Bobby Womack...it's a classic case of Ernest being involved in a mix-up with a crime boss/pimp. Ernest follows the boss/pimp all the way to Africa where he learns about an illegal ivory smuggling operation that is taking place. Ernest then joins up with a local tribe where the teach him to fight and before you can say LIVE AND LET DIE, Ernest infiltrates the bosses crime organization and brings down the kingpin.

Rich-n-Texas
06-29-2007, 07:40 PM
!!! I saw that movie!! I thought it was pretty good.

Where did Ernest go? Didn't he die?

trollgirl
06-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Hah! Tooooo many damn water movies!JSE

Yeah - like Waterworld!!

a few more bad movies:

Troy
Beowulf
The Man Who Fell to Earth
Starship Troopers II
Love Story
ah, the list could be so long if my synapses fired better...

BTW, SlumpBuster, it's "dreck" not "drek" - a German word meaning more-or-less: dung/poop, as in "dreckhaufen" or pile-of-dung.

Laz

Rock&Roll Ninja
06-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Uwe Boll's House of the Dead. Scientifically the worst film to ever be released theatrically. But every film he makes he does get a lil' more coherent.... by 2015 he should be making a pretty decent Sci-Fi channel original movie.

Gerald Cooperberg
06-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Life's too short to dwell on bad movies. Without putting too much thought into it, I will say that I agree with Troy that Being John Malkovich and Borat are top notch, and also say that I find Baby Geniuses hypnotically watchable. I will also agree with Mr. Ammo that Run Ronnie Run left me scratching my head...

...but really, how much effort can I put into savaging such easy targets? There are so many films made by well-meaning people that just fall flat, so many that aspire to greatness and fall short, and so, so many put out by a Hollywood studio system intent on feeding us calculated, pandering garbage... who has the time to sort through all of them just to anoint one with the crown?

That said, The Life of David Gale.

-Coop

L.J.
06-30-2007, 06:38 PM
Starship Troopers II.............awful, just awful. Caught it on cable late one night. Huge waste of time. I called my brother the next day and it turned out he had made the same mistake.

bobsticks
06-30-2007, 07:36 PM
Bloodrayne was pretty damn bad while probably not intended to be that horridly unprofessional.

kelsci
07-01-2007, 01:01 AM
I heard over the years that ROBOT MONSTER and PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE were supposedly the worst films ever made, but I found them pleasantly entertaining. Many of the choices that the forum members have mentioned above that I am familiar with make the two I mentioned look like best picture Oscar winners.

jrhymeammo
07-01-2007, 06:23 AM
Here is one I think is ok, but all of my friends disagree...

Killer Klowns from Outerspace.

RGA
07-26-2007, 04:33 AM
I also have to say the I liked Being John Malkovich though not as much as Adaptation.

And I would like to defend Notting Hill as one of the more intelligently crafted Romantic Comedies of the last 20 years. For what it is it is about as good as it gets.

I think it's too easy to put films that are going to be obviously bad like Justin to Kelly or to put very low budget horror films on the list. My worst in this case would be Oasis of the Zombies. You sure need to find an Oasis after wasting brain cells and oxygen while viewing.

Perhaps it is better to go after supposedly serious art films - maybe not the WORST film but stuff that you think is really bad that many thought was brilliant.

David Cronenberg's CRASH is a dreadful piece of soft porn "art house" which is really just "shock" shlock. IMO.

GMichael
07-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Starship Troopers II.............awful, just awful. Caught it on cable late one night. Huge waste of time. I called my brother the next day and it turned out he had made the same mistake.

I bought the DVD. Wish I just burned that $10.

Gerald Cooperberg
07-26-2007, 10:14 AM
David Cronenberg's CRASH is a dreadful piece of soft porn "art house" which is really just "shock" shlock. IMO.

But it wasn't half as insulting and manipulative as Paul Haggis' Crash! [don't-kill-me face]

-Coop

bobsticks
03-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Evidently, if earning results are any indicator, John Carter from Mars needs to be added to the list...

bobsticks
03-20-2012, 08:11 AM
It was the thread being viewed by the most recent spammer that I've banned...and, under the circumstances, seemed appropriate :biggrin5:

GMichael
03-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Evidently, if earning results are any indicator, John Carter from Mars needs to be added to the list...

5 years dude. You brought back a 5 year old dead thread.

bobsticks
03-20-2012, 08:12 AM
5 years dude. You brought back a 5 year old dead thread.

Oops...space-time continuum again...

GMichael
03-20-2012, 08:21 AM
Oops...space-time continuum again...

Maybe it will spur a new conversation.

Worf101
03-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Since I didn't respond to the original thread I feel compelled to give my 2 cents worth and render my pound of flesh:

The worst movie ever made....

"The Spirit"

Not only for the absolute trainwreck of a film that was foisted on an unsuspecting public. But for the ruination of the reputation of an Icon, a true giant in the world oc comics and graphic novels...
the late Will Eisner. Absolutely the worst thing ever done.

Worf

dean_martin
03-21-2012, 02:18 PM
I heard over the years that ROBOT MONSTER and PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE were supposedly the worst films ever made, but I found them pleasantly entertaining. Many of the choices that the forum members have mentioned above that I am familiar with make the two I mentioned look like best picture Oscar winners.

Yep. As a former subscriber to FilmFax and Outre magazines and collector of some of the "worst" films ever made, it's those supposedly bad films - mostly scifi and horror from the 50s and 60s - that I find charming and sometimes mesmerizing. "They" picked Robot Monster and Plan 9 as worst but I don't know who "they" are and I've seen worse.

As of last year, "they" picked Leprechaun 2 as worst film ever made. I'll have to give that one a go. My pick would be something like "Pretty Woman" or "Ghost". Unfortunately, I had to watch those all the way through with a significant other or someone I was trying to make significant.

crowley
03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
Eraserhead or Irreversible I'd say, Irreversible for just how disturbing it is and Eraserhead for the most relatively slow movie I've seen in a long time, plus the lack of any discernible plot.

Robert-The-Rambler
03-24-2012, 07:19 AM
Those movies were about as bad as it gets!!!! Troll 2 didn't even have Trolls. Then again Troll had a young Julia Louis Dreyfus frolicking in the forest with nothing but leaves covering her sensitive regions. But I digress...

bobsticks
04-13-2012, 09:41 AM
Okay, I'll admit that it's not the worst ever but Nicholas Cage's Drive Angry makes me ashamed of the human race and my place in it for having been a spectator, whether lazy latenight viewing or not...

winston
04-29-2012, 07:23 AM
Okay, I'll admit that it's not the worst ever but Nicholas Cage's Drive Angry makes me ashamed of the human race and my place in it for having been a spectator, whether lazy latenight viewing or not...

sticks, I just couldn't help myself Quoting you on this man.:frown2:
I've watched it recently, and I have to say that, 'Drive Angry" and some of the Movies "Nick" has been doing lately, makes me wonder if the (sparks) has gone and left the man cold!!

he's still my boy, I just wish he could get back to "8MM days" :)