Johnny Depp Killed in Car Crash... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Johnny Depp Killed in Car Crash...

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 09:49 PM
Ok, Johnny Depp is NOT dead. I just thought it would be a catchy thread title. Anyway, is anyone else getting tired of Johnny Depp? I am. I am a huge fan of him, but lately it's been bugging me. People think that the man has only done 4 movies: 3 of them have the word "Pirates" in it and the other one is about a Chocolate Factory. However, these are by far some of his worst films, although he has done some really terrible films like:

DON JUAN DeMARCO
NICK OF TIME
THE NINTH GATE
THE ASTRONAUTS WIFE
THE MAN WHO CRIED
CHOCOLAT
BLOW
SECRET WINDOW

Come to think of it, he's done MANY films that are sub-par. Then I must remind myself of some of his better films, like DONNIE BRASCO, DEAD MAN, WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE, FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS, FROM HELL, ED WOOD, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, and even SLEEPY HOLLOW.

I'm not a fan of the PIRATES films and have felt that they have diminished severely with each outing. Depp's little soundbites that is on commercials and previews only make matters worse. Arrrrrgg. It's so bad I can only think of Pirate jokes. My only hope is that with this resurrgence of Depp that he can do some more interesting projects and I REALLY wish that Terry Gilliam's DON QUIXOTE would have been a finished product starring Depp, it would have been fantastic!

At this point Depp is scheduled to be in both SIN CITY 2 and 3 next year and THE RUM DIARY, which is directed by Bruce Robinson...the guy who did WITHNAIL AND I and HOW TO GET AHEAD IN ADVERTISING. I can truly see Depp starring in a Bruce Robinson film...it's a great match. I actually thought of that when I saw Depp in FEAR AND LOATHING, which THE RUM DIARY is also a Hunter S. Thompson novel. Sweet eh?????

kexodusc
06-27-2007, 04:46 AM
I don't like him at all - think he's the most overrated actor in Hollywood. Sleepy Hollow = zzzzzzzz.

Sin City 2 and 3? God, please...tell me that's a joke.

Feanor
06-27-2007, 05:07 AM
I don't like him at all - think he's the most overrated actor in Hollywood. Sleepy Hollow = zzzzzzzz.

Sin City 2 and 3? God, please...tell me that's a joke.

... Frodo than Elijah Wood. :mad: (Hey, I've got a stake in this, right?) Why Jackson ever cast that POS for Lord of the Rings I'll never know: the major flaw in those flicks from a Tolkien admirer's point of view.

GMichael
06-27-2007, 06:30 AM
I could take him or leave him. Never thought he was all that. But as Feanor pointed out, he is better than some. Just not the marvel IMO that many seem to think. I always liked his co-star better. What's that guy's name who ending up directing SG1?

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 06:37 AM
... Frodo than Elijah Wood. :mad: (Hey, I've got a stake in this, right?) Why Jackson ever cast that POS for Lord of the Rings I'll never know: the major flaw in those flicks from a Tolkien admirer's point of view.
Does that "irritate" you Feanor? You sure are driving home your distaste of Jackson's pick for the lead actor role in LoR, aren't you? I was seriously considering buying the Trilogy, but all this negativism is discouraging me. :frown2:

kexodusc
06-27-2007, 06:41 AM
LOL.
I didn't really think he was all that bad. Nothing spectacular but I'm not sure anyone else would have made me enjoy the movies more.

I dont' recall Frodo being a clinically-depressive hobbit from reading the book but other than that...

JSE
06-27-2007, 07:06 AM
I think Depp is a decent actor but he is way over rated IMO. I also actually like him in Pirates. He's the best part of an otherwise so-so series.

The thing I can't stand about Depp is his fake ass euro-accent! Irritates the hell out of me. :incazzato: Just speak normally without the crap ass dramatic flare. Same for Madonna!

L.J.
06-27-2007, 07:07 AM
I was seriously considering buying the Trilogy, but all this negativism is discouraging me. :frown2:

Just make sure you pickup the extended cuts. LOTR is one of my favs. As a matter of fact, I'm about due for another viewing.

Feanor
06-27-2007, 09:36 AM
Does that "irritate" you Feanor? You sure are driving home your distaste of Jackson's pick for the lead actor role in LoR, aren't you? I was seriously considering buying the Trilogy, but all this negativism is discouraging me. :frown2:

They're not bad films -- we own at least two copies of them all. Only the departures from the true canon, i.e. Tolkien's actual writing, grate the hardcore Tolkien fans.

The screenwriter b!tch, I think it was Phillipia Boyens, said that plot could not be left exactly as it was basically because Tolkien wasn't a professional writer, (like herself), and didn't know how to writer a convincing plot. Regarding the best selling author of the 20th century, coming from a hack like her, that pissed me off big time. But note that Christopher Tolkien, J.R.R.'s son and literary executor, said that his father's work wasn't really suitable for anything but the written word: ultimately he is right.

Frodo, the "real" character of the novels, was a diffident but mature and reserved individual of 50 years of age. OK, hobbits mature slower that humans: let's give him a 35-40 human equivalent. He wasn't the 20-ish suck-nipple effete portrayed by Wood.

On the other hand, Ian McKellen was great as Gandalf, not to mention Andy Serkis as Gollum; most of the rest of the casting was pretty good, e.g. Ian Holm as Bilbo. A younger Sean Connery would have made a better Aragorn than Viggo Mortensen, but what the heck.

Troy
06-27-2007, 09:40 AM
What a brutal thread title.

Next time you should say "Peruvian Skies killed in car crash." It's just not nice, is it?

Depp is overexposed now, but I think he's a good actor.

Then again, I have no idea what "overrated" means. It's a sliding scale. If you watch ET, read People and see every crappy movie he does then, yeah, over-hyped and adulated. If you don't, then not so much.

Don Juan DeMarco, Blow and Secret Window were all enjoyable genre movies made better by his performance in them. He was great in Ed Wood and Fear and Loathing.

What does Elijah Wood and LOTR have to do with Depp? Now there's a series of movies that sucked. The CGI is already dated. The animated character was the best actor. Staggeringly padded and bloated, the last hour of the 3rd movie was positively endless. Time will not be good to those movies.

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 10:18 AM
While the title of this thread may be in question, the point is that this in a short period of time this thread received a huge amount of responses in comparison to any other thread, which simply tells me that people are most inclined to respond to threads with interesting headlines, even if it's not true....I knew that this thread title would get some serious attention and I was right.

Rich-n-Texas
06-27-2007, 11:56 AM
See my latest post in the Sicko thread. It looks like we're trying to accomplish the same thing: stimulate conversation in what could be a dying community...

SlumpBuster
06-27-2007, 12:38 PM
We're not dying... ...we're selective.

Depp is fine actor with a surprising range. Just go watch Edward Scissorhands again and tell me you don't totally forget that that is the kid from 21 Jump Street (DEPP! GRIECO! GRIECO! DEPP! - 21.... Juuump Steeeet!)

He may have some clunkers on his resume, but its Ed Norton that has to admit to being in "Death to Smoochy." Depp has never been in anything that bad. I don't think anyone has mentioned Once Upon a Time in Mexico. Great villian.

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 01:01 PM
See my latest post in the Sicko thread. It looks like we're trying to accomplish the same thing: stimulate conversation in what could be a dying community...

Rich, you nailed it perfectly!!!

Smokey
06-27-2007, 05:38 PM
Then I must remind myself of some of his better films, like DONNIE BRASCO, DEAD MAN, WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE, FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS, FROM HELL, ED WOOD, EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, and even SLEEPY HOLLOW.

IMO his best movie and performance might be Ed Wood. One can't hardly tell it is Depp who is playing the lead role. Not to mention Martin Landau performance as Bela Lugosi that stole the whole movie.

http://www.frameonline.it/FotoArticoli/Depp-EdWood.jpg

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 08:45 PM
IMO his best movie and performance might be Ed Wood. One can't hardly tell it is Depp who is playing the lead role. Not to mention Martin Landau performance as Bela Lugosi that stole the whole movie.

http://www.frameonline.it/FotoArticoli/Depp-EdWood.jpg

And yet so few have still seen this film. Although, to their credit it hasn't been the easiest thing to find in a quality print.