Time for Floorstanders? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Time for Floorstanders?

Olivertmc
06-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Hi all:

I'm trying to piece together a decent system for my living room. It is large - approximately 900 sq. ft. with an open loft area. Ceilings are at least 20 feet high. The parts I have to work with: Marantz SR-5000 av receiver; Sony 5-disc dvd player, Energy S8.2 (sub), Kef Q15.2 bookshelves and Monitor Audio B1 bookshelves.

I'm going use the Marantz and Sony components, but I'm wondering about the speakers. This system will be 2 channel, music only. Should I sell the speakers I now own and invest in some floorstanders? I've always been a bookshelf speaker guy, but I also usually lived in small apartments. I'm wondering if a floorstander will give me a bit more "presence" in such a large space.

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.

- Olivertmc

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
My first thought is I wonder what it would be like to get some KEF floorstanders and use your current KEF's as surrounds? Hmmm.

Do you have a budget in mind?

emorphien
06-26-2007, 01:29 PM
Ahh, what's your budget?

That's a rather large room, as well! How far do you intend to be sitting from the speakers (what is the layout going to be like)?

bobsticks
06-26-2007, 06:59 PM
My first thought is I wonder what it would be like to get some KEF floorstanders and use your current KEF's as surrounds? Hmmm.

Do you have a budget in mind?

I had this thought too. A fella can do alot worse than a set of KEF Q11s. I've got a set of the 7s for my computer system. Mids like butter.

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 10:26 PM
I had this thought too. A fella can do alot worse than a set of KEF Q11s. I've got a set of the 7s for my computer system. Mids like butter.

You bet! One of my good friends has a set of 7s that he used for his Home Theater setup, which he only played Laserdiscs and the sound was warm and tasty! Full, detailed, and really sounded better than many DVD's in the early days of the format.

O'Shag
06-26-2007, 11:02 PM
Alternately, you czn invest in Monitor Audio floorstanders, such as a used pair of Silver or Gold Reference. They will easily fill your space. I own the Gold Reference 60, and it is an excellent speaker. Pick a pair up for $1,800 - $2,000, and nothing will touch them in this sort of price range. You might then use the smaller bookshelf speakers for surround duty. That still leaves the centre channel, but you do listen to 2-channel mostly. If your looking at KEFs, for such a large space, the R107s would be excellent. They can sound absolutely huge. I also own a pair of these. Finding a pair in good condition on the used market will be challenging though as they are comparatively rare.

PeruvianSkies
06-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I think the best bet would be for you to determine a budget and also weigh your options if you are able to sell off some gear and upgrade. I don't think you'll really go wrong with going to a dedicated KEF or MA system. It will really come down to your overall budget and perhaps some other factors.

Olivertmc
06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I may be able to get a pair of Kef Q30's (basically the floorstanding version of the Q15's) from my brother (he recently moved into a smaller apartment - ah, the joys of NYC). As for distance, the set up of the room is going to be little bit strange - the speakers will flank a fire place and I'll be sitting 10 to 15 feet away. The rest of the room has a card table and a reclining chair. I suppose that it it worth a shot!

- Olivertmc

PeruvianSkies
06-27-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I may be able to get a pair of Kef Q30's (basically the floorstanding version of the Q15's) from my brother (he recently moved into a smaller apartment - ah, the joys of NYC). As for distance, the set up of the room is going to be little bit strange - the speakers will flank a fire place and I'll be sitting 10 to 15 feet away. The rest of the room has a card table and a reclining chair. I suppose that it it worth a shot!

- Olivertmc

Sounds like a good plan!